By Dr M S Krishnamurthy MD(Ayu)PhD.
About the author
- K PARAMESWARAN PILLAI
- Even though there is no authentic evidence regarding the details of the author, it is believed that he lived in the 20th century AD at Kottarakkara, Kollam district.
About the book
- Author : Vatayattukara K Parameswaran Pillai.
- Publisher : Vatayattukara K Parameswaran Pillai
- Printer : Sree Ramavilasam press and book depot, Kollam
- Year of writing : 1945
- Published in the year: 1954 (Kollavarsham 1129)
- Contains total 14 chapters and 194 pages
- Vaidya K Parameswaran Pillai published this book entitled Agasthya Vaidya Chandrika due to the compulsion of many of his colleagues. He himself admits that he could not complete it as to his expectations, even though it is named Agastya Vaidya Chandrika due to various limitations he found during publication. The author has added several formulations of his own in this text, even though it is a book of compilation from various sources of practical application like authentic texts, traditional knowledge and direct experience gained by the senior physicians. .
- Muppu Chunna is practised by some of the Tamil Vaidyas. But there is no illustration work in Tamil language about this preparation. Besides Muppu Chunna, without losing the essentials he also added some of the formulations of Siddha Vaidyas useful for others.
- He explained Muppu Chunna, varieties of Muppu, Chunna, Sindoora kalpanas, various Kuzhambu and its preparations.
- Rogi karthavya(duties of a patient and associated people) and Vaidya dharma (responsibility of the physicians and fellow people) are explained with sufficient necessary inputs.
- He explained Sarvaloha amrtheekarana vidhi, Varti preparation, Gulika preparation, Kettu, Pathanga, Mezhuku, Leha, Bhasma, Taila preparations etc
- Treatment for Danta roga, Pathyaapathyas, Navaneeta preparation are explained.
- Use of poisonous drugs as a medicine eg: Bhallataka, Bhanga etc are referred.
- Varieties of Choorna preparations (medicated powders) are narrated with their practical utility and applications.
- 21 Mantha rogas, its features and management in children are explained
- Unique medicinal combinations are explained for Gandamala, Ushna vata etc.
- 82 semi poisonous and poisonous drugs, including few least toxic herbs and their method of purification is dealt in this text.
- Some unique formulation like Jalamanjari are also cited in this compendium.
The details of various chapters are presented here in concised manner:
Contains 21 formulations
1. Muppu chunnam:
MUPPU: Bheshaja visesha processed by 3 types of Lavana 2 types- Kalpa muppu and Vaidya muppu Kalpa muppu- for Kaya sidhi and Rasa vada Vaidya muppu- for Roga nivaranartham (it is Muppu Chunnam)
CHUNNAM: It’s a word used by Dravida Siddha vaidyas. Is a Bhasma by special type of Samskara, having more Satwa guna than Bhasma. Chunna bhasma have features of Lime Tests: attain red colour by Haridra samyoga (contact of turmeric) Some quote it as Sunna or Swinna also. Preparation method is told by Kumbhasambhava- a Siddha vaidya
Muppu chunna is also called as Guru muppu. Acharya named it as Gurunoolmuppu in original texts. Read – Introduction To Rasashastra: Using Metals And Minerals To Heal
3 salt in Muppu chunnam are- Uvaruppu Kariyuppu (common salt) Nilavuppu (lime salt)
Different processing methods of each salt and preparation of Muppuchunnam are explained in detail. Read – Saindhava Lavana Rock Salt Benefits, Ayurveda Usage, Side Effects
Use of Muppuchunnam Used for the preparation of Sindooora. By its contact Parada used for the preparation of Sindoora gets melted and attains the shape of small beads. Read – Swarna Sindhura – Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects, Ingredients
2. Kantha Guru Sindooram
Main contents: Ayaskantha, Muppuchunna and Gandhaka Colour: Paribhadra pushpa varna (colour of Erythrenia variegate; dark red in colour) With honey – cures Sarva vata roga (vata disorders) and anaemia With Amrita sanjeevani leha- cures oedema.
Other important formulations
Loha guru sindooram, Abhraka guru sindooram Garudappacha guru sindooram, Kannara guru sindooram Sahasravedhi guru sindooram, Porikara guru sindooram Chittanda guru sindooram, Sankha guru sindooram Shila guru sindooram, Maanikya guru sindooram Marataka guru sindooram, Vajra guru sindooram Vaidoorya guru sindooram, Gomedaka guru sindooram Neela guru sindooram, Pravala guru sindooram Mrigashringa guru sindooram, Koorma guru sindooram and Sarva guru sindooram Read – Annabhedi sinduram Uses, Dose, Ingredients, Side Effects
Contains one formulation; Vaidya dharma and Rogi karttavya are other topic dealt.
It is a famous Siddhaushada Other names: Perum kuzhambu, Panavita kuzhambu, Vedantha kuzhambu According to the methods of preparation it is of 4 types Contains 12 ingredients (Parada, Manashila, Haratala, Vatsanabha, Saindhava, Asafoetida etc) Preserved in Sringa and used after 2-3 months of preparation. Depending upon various adjuvants / vehicles its usage is told
Vaidya should take help from Astrology to know the Ayu (life span), Papakarma (effect of bad deeds) etc of the Rogi (patient) Should have the knowledge of Ashtasthana pareeksha . Read – Roga, Rogi Pareeksha: Examination Of Disease And Patient
Patient should possess utmost respect and faith with the physicians; if so, his disease will be cured just like Bhasmeekarana (incineration) of cottonby fire
Advised to avoid Ahankara (ego)
Contains 40 formulations and Sarvaloha Amritheekarana vidhi
Sarvaloha amriteekarana vidhi:
Parada, Gandhaka, Vidalavana, Navasadara etc are given Bhavana with Nimbu swarasa and paste is made. This is applied to both the sides of the sheets of Loha and allowed to dry; then subjected to Gajaputa (obtained product is used for the preparation of other Sindoora, Gutika etc) Read – Loha Bhasma: Benefits, Dosage, Ingredients, Side Effects, Preparation
Main contents: Ayo Bhasma, Gandhaka, Sauveera Anupana: honey Indications: anaemia, Jaundice, Mahodara, Garbha Vaayu etc It cures even the deadly diseases too within 10 days Read – Anupan – Co Drinks, After Drinks, Adjuvants For Ayurveda Products
Other unique formulations:
Kantha sindooram, Naga sindooram, Vanga sindooram Tamra sindooram, Rajata sindooram, Suvarna bhasmam Sindoora vartti, Gauri gulika, Pashana gulika Abhimanyu gulika, Chayilyadi gulika, Tamra gulika Sambrani patangam. Rasakarpoora gulika Chayilya kettu, Rasakarpoora kettu Karpoorashila sattu bhasma, Venkara bhasma Vanga bhasma, Abraka sindoora Loha sindooram, Kapata lehyam Rasagandha mezhuku etc Read – Shelf Life Or Expiration Date Of Ayurvedic Medicines
Contains 13 formulations-
Tamradi sindooram, Talaka guru Sanjeevi tailam, Mehari tailam Sheetala tailam, Mehanta tailam Agastya tailam, Gandhaka tailam Soota jalam, Vetiyuppu kettu Vediyuppu sindooram
Contains 9 formulations and includes treatment for dental disorders.
Read – Ayurvedic Remedies and Treatment for Dental Plaque And Tartar
Mayoora tamra sindooram:
This yoga is very useful for Vaidyas and Rasavadees Main contents: Mayoora Picha, Shodhita Aya Choornam, Copper sulphate, Copper, Venkaram, Sesame oil Product resembles gold Anupana bhedena it cures different kind of diseases.
Agastyar shiva gulika:
Told by Lord Subrahmanya
Has multiple utility depending upon the adjuvants. Example – Breast milk – Balances all tridoshas. Ginger juice – Artavashoola etc
Mohana tailam, Anjenna chutar tailam Cheenappavu choornam, Cheenappavu patangam Talaka bhasmam, Pavizha bhasmam Mrigashringa bhasmam
Treatment for danta roga: Powder prepared with iron, Copper sulphate, Kantakari, Black caraway, Coconut shell etc. Used as tooth powder. It cures teeth disorders.
Contains 13 formulations and good dietic habits for various formulations.
Ayastamranaga kalpa sindooram: Used for Roga shamana and Kaya siddhi (cure as well as rejuvenation).
Chanda maruta kuzhambu: Main contents: Parada, Hingula, Haratala, Manasila, Rasa karpoora, Vatsanabha, Gouripashana etc Anupana bhedena indication: Same medicine indicated for different diseases with different co drink. Rasnashunti decoction- Fever Hareetaki decoction – Cough Bringaraja juice- Granthi (tumors), Pain, Meha (diabetes) etc
Other formulations- Mahamehari ghritam, Vasadi lehyam Abraka sindooram, Vediyuppujayaneer Mahadravakam, Mehari navaneetam Lochanamritam, Tamraguru sindooram Trimoortti mashi, Nadaguru tailam Vanmezhuku
Wholesome diet and habits for some specific formulations-
Tamra bhasma: Apathya: Amla Dadhi, Lemon, Kanchika, Gooseberry, Meat of Rabbit Pathya: Ghee, Milk, Sita, Jack Fruit, Banana
Apathyas for all formulations: Gooseberry, Athyambu pana, Shareerayasa, Tamboola charvanam, Jaggery, Buttermilk, Kalaya
Contains 22 formulations.
Nandi mezhuku: Main contents: Bhallataka, Kupilu etc Keep in Shringa Dose: Kantakari (fruit of night shade tree) Time of intake of medicine: twice daily for 10 days Indications: Granthi (tumours), Diabetes, Bhagandara, Vishapandu etc
Sanjeevani mezhuku: Main contents: Rasa karpoora, Varuna, Hingula etc Kept in Shringa Dose: Masha (1 gram approx) Indication: indigestion, vata aggravation etc
Other yogas: Chandamaruta mezhuku, Veera chunnam Gurupattu karuppu, Chandamaruta leham Panchasara kuzhambu, Triphaladi choornam Jeerakadi choornam, Aswagandhadi choornam Dhanyadi choornam, Drakshadi choornam Eladi choornam, Eladimaha choornam Karpooradi choornam, Mahaaswagandhadi choornam Mustadi choornam, Vidangadi choornam Kukkutadi choornam, Bhoopati choornam Chandanadi choornam, Abhayadi choornam Read – Vidangadi Churna Benefits, Dosage, Ingredients, Side Effects
Contains 29 formulations.
Ayaskantha sindooram: Taken internally along with Honey cures Pitta sopha, anaemia, vata diseases. Read – Vata Disorders (Vatavyadhi): Definition, Causes, Symptoms
Ayas sindoora: For anaemia For internal usage – Daily 7 times for 3 days
Other formulations- Haritala tamra sindooram Katikkaralinga sindooram Rasa sindooram etc
Contains 26 yogas and Mantha roga (chronic eye disorders) is explained in detail.
Manta roga: Mahisha Ksheera, Banana, Kalaya, Ghee, Coconut, Meat, Amlatakra etc intake during the period of Stanapaana by mother, leads to 21 types of Manta roga in children
Name of 21 Manta roga, features and treatments are explained
Other yogas: Sanjeevani gulika Pippalyadi chooranam Virechana gulika Guru matra etc Read – Sanjivani Vati – Benefits, Dosage, Ingredients And Side Effects
Contains 5 formulations are explained.
- It is an important combination of Ayastamra yoga.
- Should use only after Koshta suddhi (purgation or body purification).
- Regular medication for 48 days helps to achieve the body rejuvenation. Copper, Silver, copper sulphate, Gandhaka, Karpoora etc are the contents
Other formulations: Swarnamakshika sindooram Abhraka sindooram Rasakanta sindooram Naga sindooram Read – Abhrak Bhasma – Benefits, Dosage, Ingredients, Side Effects
Contains 72 formulations.
Bhasmas: Loha bhasma, Kantha bhasma, Abhraka bhasma, Swarna bhasma, Talaka bhasma etc
Sindooras: Lavana sindooram, Talaka sindooram, Kantha sindooram etc
Chunna: Tutta chunna, Pashana chunna, Uppu chunna etc
Some unnamed formulations for particular diseases are also mentioned. Eg: formulations for Gandamala, Kapala vata, Ushna vata etc
Read – Swarna bhasma, Heera Bhasma In Oils? Truth or Scam?
- Shodhana of 82 drugs are explained here.
- Pravala shodhana: Bhavana with Takra for 3 nadika, or Nimbu for 3 days
- Hingula shodhana: Bhavana with Nimbu swarasa or Stanya for 3 days
- Karpoora Shilajatu shodhana: Boiled in Nimbu swarasa washed and dried then Bhavana with Arka ksheera for 2 days
- Shunti shodana: remove outer skin of Shunti then apply lime and dried
- Pippali shodhana: washed in lemon juice
- Maricha shodhana: soaked and dried
- Triphala shodhana: powered and dried in sunlight
Read – Use Of Gems In Ayurveda
- Contains 70 formulations.
- Starts with Tamra sindoora;
- This yoga is taken from an old Kerala traditional text (yoga grantha)
- Has multiple utility based upon the adjuvants of use.
Kantha sindoora: Used in several diseased conditions with suitable adjuvants and wholesome diet.
Other formulations- Naga sindoora, Vanga sindoora Swarna sindoora, Souveera bhasmam Mandoora sindooram, Panchaloha sindooram Soota mezhuku, Gandhaka kettu Panchalavana bandanam, Jala manjari etc Read – Swarna Vanga – Benefits, Dosage, Side Effects, Ingredients
Contains 54 formulations.
Important ones are – Gandhaka patangam, Dantha choornam Virechana pushpam, Virechana lavanam Kumari tailam, Gouri matra Rasasindooram, Rasakarpooradi matra Chayilyadi gulika, Kayyanyadi lehyam Nirgundyadi tailam etc
Strengths of this text
- Contains about 375 formulations.
- Ingredients, preparation and indications of all the formulations are mentioned.
- Shodhana of 82 drugs are described and few are unique and special of nature.
Limitations of this compendium:
- Book is not available in other languages.
- No title is given for any of the chapters.
- Some of the terminologies are difficult to understand for common people and to those who are not expert in the field like Siddha or Ayurveda.
- Ex : Kettu, Katikkaralinga, Mantha roga etc .
- Vaidya dharma, Rogi kartavya, Pathyapathyas etc are mentioned in scattered manner which needs to be compiled under one heading for proper understanding.
- Only few diseases are explained in detail.
- The author has mentioned different formulations in different contexts under the same name, and physicians may feel difficulty to gather information in easy way.
Conclusion This book contains total 14 chapters with around 375 yogas. Though the main content of this book is Siddha yogas the ingredients and most of the preparation methods are familiar to Ayurveda. So it can be incorporated in Ayurveda practice.