By – Dr Renita D’Souza
Chubby cheeks, Dimpled chin, Rosy lips …… is that you? If not, then let’s explore natural remedies that enhance our beauty and helps to stay youthful.
Read – The Real Secrets To Stay Young
Dosha – skin types
Each body type will have different skin texture and complexion which is normal and healthy to that particular body type.
Read – Aloe Vera Benefits, Research, Home Remedies, Side Effects
Normal dosha forming particular body type if gets imbalanced some of its impacts seen through changes in the skin texture and complexion.
Read – Ayurvedic Treatment For Pimple: Causes, Herbs, Home Remedies
Imbalanced Dosha – Skin
Few symptoms of imbalanced dosha affecting skin
Vata dosha – skin appears very dry, scaly causing irritation and itching, dark circles, cracked heels, dry lips etc
Pitta dosha – imbalanced pitta dosha cause acne, rashes which are red and inflamed. Pitta dosha imbalance will be usually associated with burning sensation.
Kapha dosha – increase in kapha dosha will cause oily skin, itching, whitehead, acne which will be usually white large pus filled.
Read – Immunity In Ayurveda: Concept, Diet, Herbs, Medicines, Exercise
Usually, imbalance of pitta dosha will be involved causing skin problems. Skin health and complexion is mainly controlled by pitta dosha. Balancing Pitta dosha and detoxifying blood itself gives relieve from most of the skin problems.
Read – General Causes For Skin Diseases As Per Ayurveda
Ayurveda treatment for skin emphasizes both external application and internal medicines. External application gives local relieve and stops from the further aggravation of the condition. Internal medicines mainly counteract the disease from its site of origin and cleanse the channels through which it has been moved to the next stage. Thereby internal medicines correct the imbalanced dosha and the pathological changes in the related system for its complete cure and preventing its recurrence.
Read – Are soaps and shampoos really needed? A Reader’s words of experience
Therapies for skin complexion
External therapies for enhancing skin complexion and quality
1. Varnya lepa (complexion enhancing pastes)
Classical application of pastes are categorised under three groups, one among them is varnya lepas. These pastes are used to enhance the complexion and improve the quality of skin.
Rakta chandanadi lepa
Raktachandana- pterocarpus santalinus
Manjistha- Rubia cordifolia
Lodhra- Symplocos racemosa
Kushta- Saussurea costus
Priyangu- Callicarpa macrophylla
Vata – Ficus bengalensis
Masura- Lens culinaris
Powder of these ingredients is taken together in equal quantity and made a paste by adding water or milk. It is used as the face pack to increase complexion, remove dark spots and pimples.
Thickness of varnya lepa
Half angula thick (1angula = 2cm thick). The thickness of Varnya lepa applied should be of 1 cm thick.
Method of application of Pastes
– Paste applied should be removed from the skin soon after drying.
– Previously applied paste layer should be removed completely before applying the fresh paste.
– Once applied paste should not be used again.
– It is applied against the direction of hair follicles for better absorption.
Read – Lepa Kalpana: Ayurvedic Dosage Forms For External Application
2. Powder massage (Udwarthana)
Udwarthana is the classical procedure where the medicated powders are used to massage the skin in an upward direction. It is included as one among the daily healthy regimen (Dinacharya).
Benefits of powder massage for skin health
Removes the excess fat underneath the skin
Improves blood circulation to the skin
Improves skin quality
Enhances the complexion
Removes the dirt and dead cells from the skin.
Removes bad odour of the body by reducing sweat production.
Read – Udvartana – Ubtan: Benefits, Types, How To Do
Oral Ayurvedic medicines to enhance skin glow and complexion:
Haridra Khanda – It is effective medicine used in skin allergy. It improves skin quality and complexion.
Chyawanprash – It is the best anti aging medicine
Sarivadyasava – It is the best blood detoxifier. Widely used in skin diseases. Relieves excess sweating, burning sensation, itching, cracked heels with burning sensation, ringworm, pimples, boils etc
Saraswatarishta – It improves skin complexion and shine.
Nalikerasava – Improves skin quality and complexion. It is also prescribed in Melasma, clogged pores, acne.
Mahamanjishadi Kada / Kashaya – Widely used for skin problems
Swarna Bhasma – It acts fast to improve complexion and skin quality.
Gandhaka Rasayana – Widely used medicine to treat skin ailments.
Panchakarma therapies to enhance Beauty
Vamana (therapeutic emesis) – for excess oily skin, itchy skin etc
Virechana (purgative therapy)– for Pitta related skin issues like infected acne, freckles, etc.
Nasal drops – nasya drops daily instillation with Anu taila, Kumkumadi oil
Basti – there are certain enemas which are given to improve skin health and overall beauty.
Leech therapy – Used to treat acne and other skin ailments. It improves blood circulation.
Read – Leech Therapy Procedure, Benefits, Side Effects, Treatment
Natural remedies to enhance beauty
- Tumeric powder mixed with tomato juice to make the paste. This paste is applied over the face and kept for 20 minutes. Then rinsed with water. Turmeric powder helps to remove skin dead cells. It is a good exfoliating agent and improves the complexion. Tomato juice cleanses the skin and lightens the dark spots.
- Kumkumadi Oil – Take 4-5 drops of oil and rub between palms. Then gently massage over the face for 5 minutes. It acts by reducing skin blemishes, dark circles, scars, improves skin complexion and removes tan.
- Cumin seeds 1 spoon and cardamom added to 2 cups of water is boiled to reduce to 1 cup. This decoction is prepared and taken for 4-6 times can help to reduce pitta and balances Vata.
- Snake guard – it is best used in skin disease, also considered as a wholesome vegetable which can be consumed by all at all times. Its leaf paste applied over skin relieves acne and makes skin soft.
- Rose petal – it is crushed to paste and applied with honey helps to soften skin, moisturizes and improve complexion. Mixed with lime juice cleanses skin and removes whiteheads.
- White patches in skin – Paste of harithaki (Terminalia chebula) with honey is applied
- Water boiled with rose petals used for bath or to wash face refreshes and softens skin, also relieves bad odour from the body.
- Gulkand preparation of rose petals is the best remedy for balancing Pitta Dosha.
- Juice of holy basil can be applied on acne to get rid of it.
- Juice of spinach 1 cup mixed with turmeric powder 1 teaspoon is applied to improve complexion.
- Having dish prepared of spinach is also good for skin as it improves liver function which balances pitta dosha and purifies the blood.
- Bitter guard juice applied over acne of pitta origin also taking dish prepared of it helps better relieve of pitta dosha.
- Applying sandalwood or neem paste will help to calm pitta dosha at the site and relieve inflamed acne.
- Raisins soaked in a glass of water at night should be taken in the morning in an empty stomach. It is the best remedy to pacify and expel imbalanced pitta dosha because of its mild laxative action.
- Avoid stress and anger as it further flares ache.
- The paste of clove also gives a good result on acne.
- The paste of dry okra is used to rub skin gently before bath. It makes the skin soft.
- Lime on external application cleanses skin and improves complexion.
- Tender lime leaves paste mixed with turmeric powder helps relieve acne.
- Washing with water boiled with leaves of lime, neem, holy basil helps relieve itching of the skin.
- Orange peel paste applied over the face for 15 minutes and then washed with water will help to relieve acne, whiteheads and blackheads. It removes dark spots and also improves complexion. It may cause slight burning after its application. Then after washing it out gently massage with cucumber it will soothe and moisturize the skin.
- Dry facial skin – Regular facial oil massage helps balance vata dosha. It makes the skin soft and glowing. If the whole body skin is dry then oil massage can be done to the whole body and have a warm water bath. Read – Ayurvedic Summer Skin Care, Acne Solutions, Anti Aging Remedies
- Dry lips – Applying butter, ghee or coconut oil regularly keeps the lips soft, moistened naturally.
- Applying butter over cracked heels relieves dryness and burning sensation. Also calms the mind and helps to get sound sleep.
- Mixing sandalwood paste with butter and then applying over cracked heels help filling cracks and also best used to relieve burning sensation.
- Sandalwood paste mixed with turmeric powder, sesame oil relieves acne and improves complexion.
- Gram flour mixed with turmeric, honey and milk cream applied for 20 minutes and then washed helps improving complexion and removes blemishes.
Read – Safe, Easy And Effective Home Remedies For Fairness Of Skin
- Cucumber paste relieves Vata and Pitta thereby used as coolant, moisturizer and reduce burning sensation.
- Applying cucumber skin paste with lime relieves dark spots in the skin.
- For summer boils – wash it with rice washed water which is collected decanting first washed water.
The study conducted on the effect of turmeric over the skin health has proved the therapeutic benefits of turmeric/curcumin for skin health by both oral intake and by external application. (A)