By Dr M S Krishnamurthy MD (Ayu) PhD
About the Book
- Name of the book – Rajamartanda
- Author – Sri Bhojaraja
- This book was first published in the year 1924 in Sanskrit language by Acharya Yadavji Trikamji.
- Hindi Commentary by Sri Pavani Prasad Sharma
- Editor – Sri Brahma Shankar Mishra
- First Edition – 1966
- Publication – The Chowkhamba Vidyabhawan, Varanasi.
- This book contains 112 pages, 34 Adhikaras, 450 Yogas and it begins with Mangalacharana to Lord Shiva. Here, the Commentator says that he has taken the formulations from the book Rajamartanda of Sri Bhojaraja; where all the formulations are written in the form of Chandas.
Read – Agasthya Vaidya Chandrika Of K Parameswaran Pillai – Review, Insights
About the Author
- Bhoja (1010–1055 CE) was a renowned scholar-king of Malwa region from Paramara dynasty.
- He wrote 84 books and few of them are as follows;
1) Charucharya : A treatise on personal hygiene.
2) Raja-Mriganka-Karana : A treatise dealing with extraction of metals from ores and production of various preparations.
3) Shalihotra : A book on horses, their diseases and remedies.
Read – Pashu Ayurveda: Description Of Ancient Books On Animal Care
Rajamartanda contains total 34 chapters:
20) Chardi trushadhikara
Read – Veerasimha Avalokana – Book On Medical Astrology
1) Shirorogadhikara (Diseases and treatment of Head)
Contains different Oils and Paste for Hair fall (khalitya), Greying of hair (palitya), Alopecia (indralupta), Hair loss (kesashata), Hair growth (kesavruddhi), Dandruff (Darunaka), Head Lice (yookanashaka) and also diseases of head are explained.
Read – Dandruff – Ayurvedic Treatment, Herbs, Oils, Home Remedies
- Putadagdha hastidanta masi (soot prepared from elephant tusk) and Rasanjana are mixed with goat milk and is applied over scalp, this cures Hair fall within 7 days.
- Loha choorna, Amra, Triphala, Kamala, Bhringaraja and Neela are made into paste and applied over scalp in case of greyness of hair.
- Brihati fruit and Gunja fruit/roots are made into paste and kept in Golden vessel (swarna paatra). Application of this lepa cures alopecia.
(read about Gunja Herb)
- Loha kitta, Kamala, Sariva, Kakamachi, Triphala are added in Sesame oil. This oil is used in dandruff.
- Purified mercury is triturated with Betel leaves juice, smeared to a cloth and tied over the head in case of head lice.
- In a mud pan Kusta churna is boiled with Sesame oil and is applied over head, it cures itching, burning and ulceration of scalp.
Ear disease section
2) Karnarogadhikara (Diseases of the ear)
Contains treatment for ear pain, ulceration of the ear, foetid discharge (Putikarna), Karnapali (diseases of pinnae), Badhirya (deafness) are explained.
Read – How To Do Ayurvedic Nasya Treatment At Home? Nasal Drops For Long Life
For ear instilllation ;
- In ear ache – Devadaru oil, Saindhavadi taila.
- In deafness – Dadimadi taila
- Between 2 Arka leaves, garlic is kept and heated. Juice of this garlic is squeezed into the ears early morning. It cures ear ache of vata and pitta origin.
- In Karnapaka (ulceration of the ear) – Rock salt is melted in goat urine and instilled into ears.
- In Putikarna (foetid discharge) – Jathipatra juice or cow urine is instilled into ears.
Read – An Insight On The Book Arogya Chandrika Athava Kudumba Vaidhyan Of Shri Swami Sachidhanandhan
Eye disease section
3) Netrarogadhikara (Eye diseases)
This chapter contains unique Collyrium preparations for different Eye diseases
Read – Anjana – Collyrium Types, Method, Uses, Side Effects, Contra Indications
In Akshipaka (conjunctivitis),
- Prathyagpuspi root and rock salt is mixed in Copper vessel and used as collyrium.
- Raktachandanadi varti – Red sandalwood, long pepper, Turmeric, Kataka seed -1 part of each is made into powder and then wick (varti) is prepared by adding rain water. This is used as collyrium in eye diseases. (Read about kataka seed)
- Chandanadi anjana – Sandalwood – 1 part, Rock salt – 2 parts, Pathya -3 parts, Palasha patra – 4 parts; collyrium prepared from these drugs helps to cure Netramala, Neeliroga, Patala roga, 9 Arma rogas.
Other few Collyriums are as follows:
- Hinguvadi anjana ( Dronapuspi rasa and asafoetida )
- Girikarnyadi anjana
- Karanjabeeja anjana
- Vibhitamajja anjana
- Gunjamoola anjana
- Dronapuspi anjana
Read – Dronapushpi- Leucas cephalotes: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects
Nasal disorder section
4) Nasarogadhikara (Nasal diseases)
In this chapter, different nasal instillations (nasya) are explained for nose diseases.
- Haritakyadi nasya – Haritaki, pomegranate flowers, Durva, Laksha rasa should be used as Nasya and along with nasal instillation, oral administration of ripe fruit of Udumbara (ficus Racemosa Linn) with jaggery cures Nasal bleeding .
- Katutumbimoola nasya in Nasaarshas (nasal polyp).
- Langalyadi nasya in Pinasa (rhinitis) – Langali, Holy basil, Vyosha, Kusta, Katphala.
Read – Nasya Karma Procedure, Types, Benefits, Contra Indications
Oral disorder section
5) Mukharogadhikara (diseases of oral cavity)
- In Ostasputana, Ghee, Phanita, Oil, Gold, Gairika (red ochre), Sarjarasa, Rock salt, Madanaphala – all taken in equal parts, this is used as paste for external application.
- On chewing Jatipatra cures diseases related to oral cavity.
- Bakulabeeja powder is useful in Dantachala.
- In bad breath – Mustadi vati, Kustadi vati
- For brushing teeth – Pungent, Bitter, Astringent taste substances are indicated.
(Read – Ayurvedic Way Of Teeth Brushing And Tongue Scraping)
- Vyanga upakrama – Different paste (lepas) are mentioned;
1) Shasha rakta lepa
2) Jathiphalakosha lepa
3) Hingudi phala majja lepa – Hingudi phala majja + Jala
4) Kshoudradi lepa
5) Krishna tiladi lepa
- For promoting the complexion of the face-
1) Madhusaradi ghruta – Madhusara, Padmaka, Turmeric, Lodra (read here), Sandalwood, Kangu, Mustard – all these drugs are made into paste (kalka) and boiled in ghee. After obtaining Sneha-siddhi symptoms it is filtered and later Rock salt, Kesara is added and heated in low flame. It is used for external application.
Read – Varnya Gana: Complexion Enhancing Herbs: Review, Uses, Formulations
2) Manjistadi taila (read more here)
3) Tamradi taila (Unique preparation) – Paste of Borax (Borax+water) is smeared to Copper vessel. This vessel is heated and made into small pieces. These small pieces of copper are boiled in Sesame oil and 1 part of this oil is taken.
To this, 8 parts of cow urine is added and boiled in low flame. 48 ml of above prepared oil is taken and Madhuchista, Kesara (read here) each 12 grams is added. After cooling, it is applied to the face and slight massaging is done. This cures Vyanga and other marks in face and makes the individuals face glow like full moon (poorna Chandra).
Read – Kshudra Roga: Minor Diseases: Symptoms, Ayurvedic Treatment
6) Sthanarogadhikara (diseases of breast)
- For Sthana vruddhyarta – Ashwagandha, Gajapippali, Vacha and Kusta – all taken in equal parts made into powder and mixed with buffalo butter. Applied over breasts.
- Dadimadi taila (read about pomegranate – dadima)
- Vachadi taila
- Alambusha taila (Alambusha kalka + sesame oil) – Used internally and externally for massaging.
Read – Vachadi Thailam – Benefits, How To Use, Ingredients, Side Effects
7) Udararogadhikara (ascitis)
- Sharapunka moola prayoga
- Indravaruni moola prayoga
- Pippali moola prayoga
- Arkapatra lavana yoga
- Swetapunarnavadi moola yoga
- Vilepi prayoga
Read – Charaka Udara Roga Chikitsa – 13th Chapter
In Krimiroga (worm infestation)-
Kadalikanda prayoga (Unique preparation) – Kadalikanda is boiled with ghee and jaggery is administered orally.
Read – Plantain, Banana Uses, Research, Remedies, Side Effects
8) Kustarogadhikara (skin diseases)
- Use of neem powder cures skin disease related to hands, foot and head region.
- Sesame -1 part, Bakuchi – 2 parts: Internal administration of this powder cures skin disease in Janga pradesha (thigh region).
- Harataladi lepa – Haratala, Doorva and Rock salt are mixed in cow urine and applied as in Chirakari Pama (scabies) and Dadru (ringworm).
- Dwipadweepitwagadi lepa – Skin of elephant and cheetah is burnt into ash, mixed with sesame oil and applied in Switra (vitiligo).
- Sindhuradi taila – Sindhura, Thutta, Madanaphala, Sauviranjana, Guggulu and Sesame oil. Taila paka is done. Massage with this oil cures Pama (scabies).
Read – Sindhuradi Lepa – Benefits, How To Use, Ingredients, Side Effects
9) Raktapittadhikara (Bleeding disorders)
Aatarushaka rasadi yoga: Vasa juice extract, Sugar, liqorice and Haritaki powder.
Read – Vasaka: Adhatoda vasica Uses, Side Effects, Research
Voice, respiratory diseases
10) Pinasa – Swarabhangadhikara
In Pinasa (rhinitis),
- Use of curd with jaggery
- Ghee with wheat
- Shishira jala prayoga – Soon after waking up and before going to bed if a person consumes Shishira jala (cold water), it cures Pinasa within 3 days.
Read – Allergic Rhinitis: Causes, Remedies, Ayurvedic treatment, Herbs
In Swarabhanga (hoarseness),
- Vibhitaki, long pepper and rock salt should be consumed with Kanji (fermented herbal drink).
- Gooseberry powder with curds
11) Kasa – Swasaadhikara
1) In Cough –
- Jathyadi dhoomapana – Jatipatra, Ankola, Jatapatra, Guggulu, Nagabala – all in equal parts.
Read – Guggul Benefits, Usage, Dose, Side Effects, Research
2) In Swasa (asthma)
a) Vibhitaki churna – 12 grams Vibhitaki + Honey (after food).
b) Pippalyadi churna – Long pepper, Triphala powder with honey (along with food).
Read – Pippali – Long Pepper Fruit Uses, Dose, Side Effects
3) In Hiccups
Pippalyadi lehya – Krishna mayura bhasma (calx of black peacock feathers), Long pepper with honey.
12) Rajayakshmadhikara (tuberculosis)
- Nagabala powder
- Neelinimoola powder
- Swadamstradi powder
- Yastyadi powder
- Yavadi powder
- Kakajanga powder
Read – Kakajangha (Peristrophe bicalyculata) – Uses, Remedies, Side Effects, Research
13) Shooladhikara (Pain)
i) In Parinama shoola (colic)
Shanka bhasma prayoga
Read – Shankha Bhasma Benefits, Dosage, Ingredients, Side Effects, Preparation
ii) In Kati, Hrudaya and Prushta shoola (low back pain, chest pain, back pain)
- Harini shrunga bhasma
- Ruchakadi churna
14) Atisaradhikara (Diarrhoea)
- Babbula leaf paste
- Meghanada (Amaranthus spinosa) Kalka
Read – Babool Tree Uses, Dose, Side Effects, Ayurvedic Medicines
15) Pramehadhikara (diabetes)
- Turmeric powder with Honey
- Gooseberry juice
Read – Diabetes: Ayurvedic Treatment, Remedies, Prevention Tips
16) Ashmari – Mutrakruchradhikara
In Ashmari (renal calculi)
Tilakshara prayoga – Alkaline (kshara) prepared out of Sesame, it is administered with cow milk internally. It cures renal calculi within 3 days.
In Mutrasangha, Malatimoola prayoga – Malatimoola is collected during summer season, it is subjected to Ksheerapaka vidhi and administered with Sugar.
- In Gandamala (cervical adenitis) – Bhargimooladi lepa (Bharangi moola + Tanduladhavana jala)
- In Charmakeela (warts)– Indravaruni lepa
- In Upadamsha (syphilis) – Putapradagdha Triphala powder paste.
Read –Warts: Ayurvedic Treatment, Remedies, Prevention Tips
18) Bhagandaradhikara (fistula in ano)
- Dantyadi lepa – Danti, Turmeric, Gooseberry and water
- Guggulu prayoga – Purified guggulu is given with Triphala decoction.
- Vidalasti lepa – Jalasarpa rakta lepa or bones of Rat is triturated with Triphala decoction and used for external application.
Read – Baliospermum montanum – Danti – Uses, Research, Side Effects
19) Arsho-Adhikara (piles)
- Surana and Kutaja are taken in equal parts and administered with Buttermilk.
- Jalini (Devadali) fruit + equal parts of Jaggery and is used as Gudavarti.
- Haridradi lepa
- Bilvaphala prayoga
- Chitrakamoola prayoga
- Yavaksharadi churna prayoga
Fever, digestive disorders, etc
i) Vomiting – Guduchi Shrutasheeta Kwatha with honey or Doorva decoction with honey should be administered.
Read – Guduchi – Giloy Uses, Dose, Research, Side Effects
ii) Thrist –
- Red sandalwood, sandalwood, Padmakasta powder – all in equal parts is mixed with water and used as Shiro lepa (applied on forehead).
- Nilothpaladi prayoga – Nilothphala, Kusta, honey, water, Vatashrunga – all taken in equal parts, made into fine powder and tablet is prepared out of it.
Read – Raktachandan Red Sandalwood Uses, Research, Side Effects
21) Jwaradhikara (fever)
Oushadi Yogyavasta in Fever;
- Nirvata sevana, decoction, drink water, sudation, fasting are beneficial in Navajwara (acute fever) (when doshas are in Apakwa avasta).
- But in Amajwara, Medicine intake is contraindicated (Up to 1 week it is considered as Amavasta of fever).
Read – Qualities And Symptoms Of Ama – Ama Guna Lakshana
Different Kwatha preparations;
- Mustakadi kwatha
- Nidigdhikadi kwatha
- Shuntyadi kwatha
- Guduchyadi kwatha
- Mrunaladi kwatha (Mrunala – Kamala nala)
22) Vatarogadhikara (Vata disorders)
In Urustambha – Bhallatakadi decoction (Unique preparation) – Bhallataka and Long pepper roots/fruits
Read – Charaka Urusthambha Chikitsa – 27th Chapter
Padasputana lepa – Jaggery, Guggulu, Sarjarasa, Gairika (red ochre), Rock salt, Sikthaka, Honey, Siddhartaka, liquorice and Ghee.
- Aloe vera leaf is cut into half and it is tied over charmakeela (warts), within 3 days Charmakeela will be cured.
Jeerakadi ghee – Cumin paste, Ghee, Madhanaphala, Sarjarasa used as ointment (Lepa).
26) Vranadhikara (Wounds)
- In Shastraghata Vrana (surgical wound),
1) Lajjalu moola taila – paste of touch me not plant roots + Sesame oil
Read – Touch Me Not Plant: Uses, Side Effects, Research
2) Apamarga taila – Apamarga root + Sesame oil
In Naadi Vrana (sinus) – Langali Pralepa (read about langali herb)
27) Granthyarbudadhikara (tumours)
Arbuda pralepa (paste for tumours) – Yavakshara, Vidanga beeja and Gandhaka (sulphur) is triturated for about 1 month. Later, it is mixed with Chameleon blood and paste is prepared.
28) Apasmaronmadadhikara (epilepsy)
- Bhutagrahopakrama – White mustard, Neem leaves, Asafoetida – all these are used for Dhoopana.
- Daruharidra is given Bhavana with Ash guard juice during Pushya nakshatra and used as collyrium. It makes all Rakshasadi graha shanti.
Read – Epilepsy – Ayurvedic Understanding And Its Treatment
29) Visharogadhikara (Poisoning)
Vruschikadi Visha Upakrama (scorpion bite treatment)
Manashiladi gutika – Manashila, Karanja beeja, Kusta, Shirisha, Gambhari beeja.
- Sarpa Visha Nivaranarta – Vasuki and Takshaka sarpa will not come near the person, who wears Patatriraja (Garuda) pratima made out of Tarakshu (Hyena) danta.
- Milk with sugar consumption cures Dattura visha vikara.
- Ash gaud juice with jaggery cures Kodravottha bhrama.
- Ghee with sugar cures Madhya mada (alcoholic intoxication).
- Krishna Ankola kwatha along with its powder cures Krithrima Visha vikaras.
- Ankola patra dhoopana cures fish poisoning.
Other treatments for poisoning like frog, rabies, bee sting, spider bite, Sarvadanta visha, Shrungi mathsya visha, rat bite, Pugiphala janita Mada are also mentioned.
Read – Charaka Visha Chikitsa 23rd Chapter of Chikitsa Sthana
Neelini (Indigofera tinctiria) root with ghee cures Jalagardabha.
31) Streerogadhikara (gynaecological disorders)
- Sudarshana root with Milk cures menorrhagia.
- Trikatu (combination of three spices ginger, pepper, long pepper) and Bharangi powder with Sesame decoction when consumed for 6 months, it cures Raktagulma.
- If a woman consumes Nagakeshara powder with milk during Rutukala, she will definitely become Putravathi.
- Prathyagpushpi/Paribhadra/Kakajanga/neem root is tied to Kati pradesha (waist) of pregnant women for easy labour (Sukaprasavarta).
Read – Ayurvedic Diet And Lifestyle For Pregnant Woman
32) Balarogadhikara (paediatric diseases)
- Mayurashikhi root is tied to the neck of Balaka to protect the child from Rakshasa-pishachadi graha roga.
- Gajapippali, Long pepper root and Lodra in decoction/powder form cures all types of diarrhea (sarvathisara) in children.
33) Rasayana-Vajikaranadhikara (Rejuvenation and Aphrodisiac)
One who consumes purified iron calx, abhraka bhasma (mica calx), mercury, Shilajitu, Kanta loha bhasma and giloy powder with honey and ghee, then he will be free from aging, disease and death.
Read – Rasayana Therapy (Anti Ageing, Rejuvenation) Meaning, Definition
34) Pashurogadhikara (diseases of cow)
- Lakshmana root paste is applied to Yoni pradesha of Cow, it cures infertility in Cow.
- Shalmali vruksha root is tied to cow horn for expulsion of placenta.
- In diseases related to oral cavity of cow– Application of sesame oil is explained.
- For fever – Tagara, Guggulu, Cow dung, Ghee, Ushira, Apamarga, rock salt all taken in equal parts and Dhoopana is given to Cow.
- Gunja seed collyrium is used in case of horse eye diseases.
List of Unique Formulations
- Tamradi taila for increasing complexion
- Nilothpaladi gutika in thrist
- Mrunaladi kwatha in fever
- Bhallatakadi kwatha in Urustambha (thigh stiffness)
- Lajjalu root oil in wound
- Manashiladi gutika in scorpion bite
Read – Bhallataka: Marking Nut Uses, Qualities, Purification, Side Effects
- Swetapunarnavadi moola prayoga in Pleehodara
- Kadalikanda prayoga in worm infestation
- Malatimoola prayoga in urine obstruction
- Indravaruni lepa in warts
- Ostasputana lepa
- Padasputana lepa
- Shishira jala prayoga in Pinasa
- Some of the unique preparations are mentioned in this book that is not mentioned in any other Ayurveda classics. For eg – Tamradi taila, Nilothpaladi gutika etc
- Classification of diseases in the form of Adhikaras, will help the individual to recollect the context easily.
- Simple remedies are mentioned for diseases related to ear, oral cavity, nose etc which can be easily practiced.
- Interestingly this book covers the diseases and treatments related to animals like Cow, Horse, Pigeon etc in the last chapter called Pashurogadhikara.
- Most of the formulations are unnamed, so it is very difficult to remember the formulations
- For few of the formulations, quantity of ingredients and dosage are not mentioned.