Ayurvedic Remedies, Medicines for Skin Glow, Complexion

Having a clean, lustrous and attractive skin is the dream of many people and aim of many youngsters.  But, hereditary factors, pollutants, hormones have their say in this matter.  People are more dependent on the cosmetics, most of which are  more hazardous than helpful. Many contain allergic ingredients and others carcinogenic.  So, there is an immediate need of safe and effective, natural herbal complexion enhancers.

Are soaps and shampoos really needed? A Reader’s words of experience

Skin and Pitta Dosha

Skin, blood and Pitta are inter-related. Many of the blood vitiation disorders are exhibited as skin disorders. Impaired Pitta (increase / decrease) causes vitiation of blood tissue, leading to skin disorders.
We have learnt that there are five types of Pitta. Among them, Bhrajaka Pitta controls skin quality and complexion. Bhrajaka Pitta balancing is required to maintain lustrous healthy skin.

Ayurveda emphasizes the utility of various complexion enhancers  (Kanti Vardhaka). Kanti means lustre/complexion and Vardhaka means enhancer / promoter.

Ayurveda refers another set of medicaments – Blood soothers  – Rakta Prasadaka herbs. Rakta means blood and Prasadakara means soothers.

beautiful woman with healthy skin

Blood detoxifiers, soothers

Blood detoxifiers (Rakta Shodhaka) – Blood soothers (Rakta Prasadaka)  and complexion enhancers (Kanti Vardhaka) inter-relation:
Complexion enhancers are directly linked with the effects of blood cleansers or blood purifiers. So, before proceeding to the Kantivardhaka drugs, it will be essential to consume the blood cleansers (Rakta Shodhaka)  or blood soothers (Rakta Prasadaka) herbs.

Blood cleanser and soother herbs are usually bitter or astringent (Tikta-Kashaya) in taste, light-cold-soft and slow (Laghu-Sheeta-Mridu and Manda) in quality. Opposite to these are blood vitiators with spicy, oily salty and deep penetrating corrosive and irritant quality substances.

So, as a first step towards having a beautiful skin, you need to get rid of the skin disease.
Thereafter, the Kantivardhaka – complexion enhancers can be prescribed.

Related:
Understanding Blood Functions, Vitiation And Treatment As Per Ayurveda
Ayurvedic treatment for pimple: Cause, Herbs, Home Remedies

Kanti vardhaka drugs

Qualities of complexion boosters – Kanti vardhaka drugs:
Such drugs are always mild and cooling in nature with bitter and astringent tastes. But there are a few exceptions for this rule.

Single herbs

Single drugs used to enhance the complexion/lustre;-
Turmeric – Curcuma longa
Tree turmeric – Daru Haridra – Berberis aristata
Indian Sarsaparilla – Sariva – Hemidesmus indicus
Saffron – Kumkuma
Sandalwood – Chandana Santalum album
Red sandalwood – Raktachandana
Aloe vera  – Kumari
Cardamom – Ela – Elatteria cardamomum
Manjista – Rubia cardifolia
Yashtimadhu-Indian liquorice-Glyccirrhiza glabra
Lodhra-Symplocos racemosa

Ayurvedic medicines

Ayurvedic medicines to enhance the complexion/lustre:
Haridrakhanda rasayana – widely in the treatment of allergic skin diseases, itching skin. There is a line in the description of this product which says – regular consumption of this, for long term (2 – 4 months) makes the skin as lustrous as gold.
Drakshasavam – used in the treatment of piles, fistula, indigestion, bleeding diseases, intestinal worms, injury, wounds.
Mukta Bhasma – Calx prepared from pearl. Excellent to balance Pitta dosha. It improves skin complexion, eye power, digestion power and nourishment.
Nalikerasavam – It improves skin quality, complexion and beauty. This medicine is also used for longevity and rejuvenation treatment.
Shankha Bhasma – Calx prepared from Conch shell. It is coolant, improves skin quality and complexion.
Saraswatarishta – An excellent fermented anti ageing liquid product, useful for skin health, memory and immunity
Gandhaka Rasayana – used in the treatment of skin diseases, itching, chronic fever, urinary tract disorders etc.
Praval Bhasma – Calx prepared from coral, also used in Ayurvedic treatment of cough, asthma, bleeding disorders etc.

Oil massage for beautiful skin:
Kumkumadi taila –
used for face massage. It helps in improving  skin texture, complexion and also to relieve skin problems such as acne, scars etc
Eladi oil –
used in treatment for skin diseases like allergic dermatitis, ring worm infection, urticaria.  Improves skin complexion and texture.
Nalpamaradi Oil – A baby and face massage oil, used in the treatment of skin diseases, Herpes, Eczema, Dermatitis, allergic skin disorders such as ring worm infestation etc.

Ayurvedic home remedies

Simple home remedies for a healthy glowing skin:
1. Aloe Vera pulp – 20 grams is added with half a teaspoon (3 grams) turmeric powder and heated for a minute and this is applied externally. Left for 20 minutes, washed off with water.

2. Nutmeg and root of Sariva are rubbed well with the fresh juice of Aloe Vera and made into a fine paste. This is applied to the face daily. This is much useful in black and white heads.
Article by Dr Krishnamurthy and Dr Hebbar.

Natural Ayurvedic herbal products to make skin glow  –
Below products are developed by Dr Hebbar, available with Mr Shashikumar, email – [email protected]

Herbal body wash powder : Prepared with herbs like Lodhra, Musta etc. While bathing, powder is mixed with water and made into a paste,it is applied and gently rubbed for a minute,later washed off with water. This is an excellent replacement for soaps.
Herbal face pack powder
Herbal hair wash powder –
 A substitute for shampoos, a powder made with Ayurvedic herbs.

115 thoughts on “Ayurvedic Remedies, Medicines for Skin Glow, Complexion”

• Hi, first up, any Bhasma preparation should only be used only if prescribed by a qualified Ayurvedic doctor.
      There are many tests for Bhasmas. two famous ones are – the particles should be minute enough to settle between the fine creases of fingers. It should float on water, when put smoothly.

1. Hello sir , can you pls tell me which medicines are blood purifier and soother…. as you mention complexion enhancing medicines in your article from which we have to take one medicine or all of them and also in which amount and duration.

• Take a teaspoon (~ 5 grams) of turmeric powder, mix it with 100 ml ghee or coconut water. Mix it well. Apply a thin layer of it, on face, 10 minutes before facewash, everyday.

2. Thank you very nice and helpful article, Dr what is HARIDRAKAND RASAYAN IS IT DIFFERENT FROM HARIDRAKAND
    i had peachy pink skin but now its no longer, also my HB is always low only after supplements its comes to normal,
    CAN YOU TELL WHAT I CAN DO

THANKS YOU

3. Hello sir, sir can you pls tell me which are blood soother and cleansing medicines in ayurveda …. you have mentioned medicine for enhancing complexion in your article so pls tell me we have to take one from them or all of them for glowing clear complexion…. pls pls reply me sir…

4. Hello sir, I have dull and dark skin.I also have prominent dark circles. What should I try. Please suggest. Would be a help.

5. Hi, you can apply Kumkumadi tailam 10 minutes before applying the lemon peel. The Lemon would help to get rid of Kumkumadi oil from face/

6. Thank you sir.. Could u pls tell me when shall I start applying oil?? much worried about his dark complexion. . And also please advise me to put on some weight for me… Thanks

7. Sir i have wheatish and dull complexion,even after following the CTM routine two times in a day my skin looks tanned and lifeless,plz suggest me a skin care routine for flawless and glowing skin.

8. Sir.. please suggest to have glowing skin all over the body and not only face. Because my hands and legs are so dark compared to other parts.. so please advice for whole body to glow. Thanks..

• Dear Madam,

9. Hi, Single herbs that are listed abouve – like sandalwood, aloevera etc are the Kantivardhaka (lustre enhancing) herbs.

10. Hello Sir please how to get glowing skin all over the body. Most of the tips for face only but I have dark hands and legs. So please suggest to have good looking skin for whole body. Thank u so much.

• Dear Madam, Hands and legs are exposed to the Sun during the day which might have resulted in the darkness of the skin. Would like to suggest you to eat a lot of fruits and veggies and have a balanced diet with the right amount of exercise and yoga. You can use the above said treatments under the guidance of a ayurvedic physician.

11. Sir I have open pores on my face.. how to get it clear and have flawless skin? Please suggest as my face have little holes due to open pores.

12. Madam, These are some home remedies you can inculcate:
    • Crush 2 washed tomatoes into a puree. Add 4 tbsp lemon juice. Mix well. Apply on the tanned skin. Leave it for 20 min. Wash off with cold water. Do this for 15 days
    • Take 6 tbsp lemon juice. Add 2 tsp turmeric powder. Mix well to make paste.Apply on the tanned skin.Leave it for 30 min.Wash off with water
    • In a bowl add equal quantities of rose water, lemon juice and cucumber juice. Stir well and prepare a homogenous mixture. Apply it and wash off after 15 minutes.
    • Add half a lemon (juice) and 1 tablespoon of honey in a bowl and mix it properly. Once the mixture is ready, apply tanned areas. Let it dry for 20minutes and wash off.
    • Mix 4tsp sesame seed oil, 1tsp olive oil and 1tsp almond oil and apply it on your skin and wash it off after 20 minutes with warm water using gram flour as a scrub.
    • Mix mashed papaya and milk. Make a thick paste and apply the paste onto the affected areas of the skin. Keep the paste on your faceuntil it dries out and wash off with cold water.
    • The pulp inside the leaves of Aloe Vera plant is an excellent remedy to remove the tan. You can take out the pulp or gel from the leaves and can apply it on the tanned areas.
    • Mix a tablespoon of gram flour with one tablespoon of rose water and make a thin paste. You can use curd or plain water if rose water is not available. Apply it on face, hands and other affected areas of the body. Wash with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.

13. Hi, sir. How long i use the kanti vardhaka herb for glowing skin. if i stop using it after some months is there any side effects? plz reply sir

• Hello madam, There are many causes of Heel pain would advise you to rule out that with the help of a Ayurvedic Physician. Some of the cause being:
      > Plantar fasciitis
      > Heel bursitis
      > Heel bumps
      > Chronic inflammation of the heel pad etc.,

If we know the cause the treatment can be set accordingly.

14. Dear doctor, could you please prescribe some tailam for tightening the sagging skin near the jaw line due to weight loss. thank you

15. Hi, you can use Haridra Khanda – 1 teaspoon at night after food with milk for 1 month time. For detailed advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

• Aragwadharishta, Mahamanjishtadi Kada, Saraswatarishta are useful to improve skin tone. But whitening cannot be promised. Consult an Ayurveda doctor.

16. please tell me a good herbal face pack available in market or online for clearing pimple spots and clear complexion.

17. I would like to know if Gold and Silver bhasma can be used for getting a glowing skin all over.If this can be used in abhyanga and recipe for the same please.And can you also tell where to get pure gold and silver bhasma?

• Hi, Gold and Silver Bhasmas are used for oral intake only. Its external application is not recommended due to poor absorption through skin.

18. Thank you so much sir..For your prompt reply..is kumkumadi tailam effective in blackheads also. One more question I wanted to ask ..my mother experience extreme pain in her legs and she is very weak..plz advise some ayurvedic medicines if possible.

19. Hello doctor,i hv dark circles for past 12yrs.tried everything but nothing works.left eye has a bigger and darker patch while right eye has lighter one.read somewhere that licorice powder helps but taking it internally has many side effects.not sure how to use it.can you suggest some remedy for this?

20. Sir,

Is kumkumadi oil ok for Rosacea, since it has sesame and kesar, so I was concerned. Also can you massage this oil if you have rosacea, because massage is not supposed to be good for people with rosacea. If not massage, can we just apply it.

21. Hello Doc, your articles are so informative and complete. May I request a clarification. I have hyper pigmentation in and around my lips and chin area. Would you recommend eladi kea thailam or kumkumadi thailam or nalpamadi thailam. Can these be combined? When would you recommend eladi over the other two? I live in Canada and it is very cold in winter. So I want to use for both dry skin (below knees) and hyper pigmentation on face. with gratitude, deepa

22. Hello Dr. Is there any treatment to clear the stretch marks.
    I have stretch marks at underarms so how could I get relief from it??

23. Dear doctor my skin is very sensitive and had hyperpigmentation which oil or which cream should be used please suggest me thank you swathi

24. Hi sir…can u plz tell me if i can continue using nalikerasava even after 2months ;because i have read can be taken for 1- 2months…

• Thank you for ur reply sir..????

Actually i dint consult any physician .Reading the above article i started taking it and it works well on me..So just wanted to know if i continue using nalikarasava.will it cause any complications…
      Your articles are very helpful sir…

25. Sir I have chocolate cyst problem due to that I had hormones tables(Novelen)intake for almost 3 years.. Now i have so many problems due to that but my main problem is my skin tone.. Especially in face, hands, legs which ever exposure to sun has become more blacker.. I am using sunscreen whenever I step out.. I tryed kumkumabi tailm and all tan removal face pack too but no use.. Pls suggest me any intake of Medicine which gives my skin color back..

26. Doctor plz recommend good and effective skin whitening pills that get from ayurvedic stores in irinjalakuda.also mention theeffecte and side effects of used it.and how to remove facial hairs imn my face permanently and also the black marks on my body

27. 3 sal pahle mujhe hyper noster rt.side hua tha effected area men skin sun Aisa lagta hai aur back area me kafi Dard rahta aurwedic men kui medicine hai to batayen mera age 42 years hai

28. Dear Sir,
    Can you please suggest an effective remedy for lightening the underarms.
    Thanks you and best regards,
    Anju

29. Sir..I have redness on my cheeks nose and chin..I think it’s rosacea..what is the ayurvedic treatment for it

30. Hello sir… Does KumKumadi thailam and Nalpamaradi thailam stops the growth of beard and moustache??… Like turmeric does??

31. Hi sir
    My skin is so dark n hyper pigmentation pls sugest me some blood purified n some cream for my skin fair n glowing

32. Hello sir i m pooja i have darkcircle since long time and my skin become so dull after delivery plz suggest some medicine to cure it…

33. Sir, i want pinkness in my face&body,can u suggest any ayurvedic treatment.Please give me a suggestion.

34. Hello sir,
    My hand are becoming darker and darker day by day. They seems to be totally opposite to my face tone.. Plz suggest some ayurvedic medicine.

35. Sir nyan ru arogya masikayil kanda ayurvedic bleech mukhattu ittu .atille ingredients payarupodi,manjalpodi,milk,lemonjuice,salt ethu ittathnu shesham nte face il white mark vannathu pola sir athu endlem problem aano?eni nyn athu upayogchal endlem problem undo ?plz hlp me sir

36. Hello sir,

I have hard hair growth on my chin and upper lips. Even my face has lot of hairs. Please let me know what home remedy do you suggest for the same.

37. Hello sir am 30yrs old since I have hypothyroidism my complexion has become very dark and dry. I have dark circles ,wrinkles and acne scars. Whenever I use some cream on my face or I do facials I get breakouts please help

• Massage with oils like Kumkumadi taila / Nalpamaradi taila
      taking coolant foods
      Using rose water to wipe face (dipped in cotton swab)

38. Hello sir.! m sonia. and i have pcod. Does pcod affects the skin complexion? I have a dusky skin tone and a mixed skin type. I sweat too much but just on face and neck region! Please suggest me some remedy to reduce this much sweating and i can get good complexion as it is almost everytime very embarassing for me.! Please help!

39. Initially plain sesame oil / coconut oil can be used. Afer 6 months, Eladi thailam can be used.

40. Sir,
    Few people say that lemon ,honey make the hair white because they bleach.Is it true?can these two be applied to face and body everyday?I feel good after applying honey to face but I’m scared of white hair.
    Please help.

41. Hi doctor, my facial skin is dark and dull but other skin is fair… I was thinking of buying Kottakkal arya vaidya shala’s KumKumadi thailam. How long do I have to apply the oil on my face to get a good result..

42. Sir not hair,I’m talking about facial hair,eyebrows and around ears.will honey,lemon make them white if I apply daily?

43. Sir meri age 32 years hai.maine net per dekh Kar manjishta, lodhra,vacha,aamla,santra,galab ,mulethi in Sab herb ka facepack lagaya. Meri skin or bhi dark Ho gyii, kuch advice dijiye sir normal Karne or fair Karane k liye..

44. Hello doctor, By birth itself I’m fair but at the age of 8 years my skin turning to dark and dull .Now presently my skin is dark please suggest me to reduce skin colour.

45. Hello sir, I have a dusky skin tone and want two or three shades fairer skin all over body not just the face.. I have a busy lifestyle so can’t apply oils and home made remidies .. can you please suggest me some medicine so that it is convenient for me..
    Thanks .

46. Doc, just read about few articles…..very informative
    Want to know two things , some remedy at home for scalp psoriasis, another my child is a swimmer, for her complexion, detaining the body
    Pls help

47. I applied kumkumadi oil last night on my face and massaged for about 5 minutes then i slept and when i woke up today, my skin was appearing a little dark than normal.
    Why did it happen and what is the right way to apply this oil? Also, I save sinusitis and laryngitis so i’m thinking about doing nasya treatment at home. What is the right time of the day for doing so and recommended method for it ?
    I’ve read on the label of my kumkumadi oil that it is meant to be applied in night only as application in morning can cause darkening of the skin. Is it true?
    Last, any remedy for dark lips?

48. Sir, I tried haridrakhand and kumkumadi oil and shankh bhasm . but .all in vain. I didnt see any change in my skin.
    my skin is dark around lips . There is no improvement in skin

49. Hi Vaidya Hebbar –

I have slightly dark skin on forehead some parts where my hair constantly brushes my skin and also along my fingers, especially index finger bottom – I have had these for a while, any fixes for these?

50. Hello sir i hve a gehua color complexion i want to make it fair so can u please suggest me any thing.

51. Hello doctor
    I am 28 yrs old..Have a wheatish complexion..But after starting to go for a coaching class my skin start darkening due to daily exposure to sunlight and travelling…what should I do?

52. Dear doctor
    Namaste
    How to use Khadira powder for external application in case of skin ailments such as Eczima