How To Make Bhringraj Oil For Hair Growth [Video]

Bhringraj oil and hair growth are almost synonymous in Ayurveda. It is one of the widely used hair oils to to promote hair growth, to improve hair quality, to relieve split hairs, grey hairs etc. Let us learn today a simple way of preparing Bhringaraj hair oil.

Before you start –
I have derived this formula on my own. You are free to add or delete any ingredient. If you want my help in deciding your formula, I will be glad to guide you.
I have given the quantities in ml. I also have given the quantities in parts. If you are not familiar with ml then just calculate the quantities in parts. You can consider 1 part = 1 ounce.

Bhrinagraj hair oil

Ingredients

Coconut oil – 500 ml (10 parts) – Usually hair oils are also prepared with sesame oil base. But coconut oil is the preferred choice.
Cow milk – 250 ml (5 parts) – cow milk comes with nutrition and we want to add that nutrition value into our hair oil. Remember that for all Ayurveda medicine preparation, whenever milk is told, pre-boiled milk only should be taken.
Grated coconut – 200 grams

Herbal powders

Amla – Indian gooseberrypowder – 50 grams (1 part) – rich in anti oxidants and must have in all hair oils.
Bhringaraja – Eclipta alba – another must have in all hair oils.  – 50 grams (1 part)
Yashtimadhu – licorice powder – 50 grams (1 part)
Triphala powder  – promotes natural hair colour. Also useful to relieve skin diseases of the scalp and to relieve dandruff – 50 grams (1 part)
Aloe Vera – pieces of leaf – 25 – 50 grams (1/2 – 1 part)
Hibiscus flower paste –25 – 50 grams (1/2 – 1 part)

Bhringraj hair oil video

Method of preparation

How to make?
It involves 2 parts.

Part 1 – Kashayam preparation

• Kashayam is the water extract of the herbs.
  • Take all the herb powders – Amla, Bhringaraja, Licorice, Triphala, Aloe vera – in a wide mouthed vessel. (total – 250 grams – 5 parts) While adding herbs, keep around 10 grams (1/5th part) of each of these herbs separately. Add the remaining part of the herbs to the vessel.
  • Add 1 litre of water to it (20 parts).
  • Boil this powder water mix till you get around 500 ml (10 parts).
  •  Stir it continuously while boiling. Boil over mild fire. Taking a wide mouthed big vessel helps avoid spilling of boiling Kashayam.
  • After getting 500 ml (10 parts), filter the Kashayam.

Part 2 – Bhringaraja Tail  (oil) preparation

• Take 500 ml (10 parts) of coconut oil in a big wide mouthed vessel.
  • Add 500 ml (10 parts) of Kashayam to it.
  • Add 250 ml (5 parts) of milk to it.
  • Put grated coconut powder into a mixer / grinder, add a little water, and grind it. Add the ground coconut along with liquid to the vessel.
  • Add chopped hibiscus flower pieces into the vessel.
  • Start heating the whole mixture over mild fire. Stir continuously.

Observations

• The mixture now contains 500 ml (10 parts) of coconut oil and all other powders and water. The goal is to evaporate all the water content from the mixture and get only the oil. So, at the end you will get around 450 – 500 ml (9 – 10 parts) of the oil.
  • In the initial phase of boiling the oil, there will be larger bubbles. These bubbles indicate water being evaporated.
  • In the initial phase, the whole mass looks dirty. But as the process progresses, the liquid becomes clearer.
  • At the end stage,  The vessel will start emitting aroma, the powders turn into a paste, which you can roll into the form of a wick, there will be profuse frothing. Big bubbles disappear.
  • If you take the powder paste to fire, it will not produce sound. It indicates that there is no moisture in the oil and the Bhringraj oil is ready.
  • Stop heating at this precise point and filter it when it is hot.

Shelf life

If you store in air tight container, this oil is good to use for upto one and half years.
Preservatives required – None.
Where to get the herbs?
Within India, they are easily available in any Ayurveda store. In USA, they are available in Amazon website.

How to use?

It can be applied at night and head bath can be taken on the next day morning . But for some people, applying coconut oil at night may cause worsening of sinusitis. For such people, it can be applied half an hour before bath. For more on this read here – How to apply hair oil
Are there any other combinations?
Read here – How to prepare amla hair oil

125 thoughts on “How To Make Bhringraj Oil For Hair Growth [Video]”

• Hi thanks. 🙂 Making the Kashayam will help in including the water soluble phyto-chemicals of the herbs into the oil.

1. Sir, I have been reading your entire articles and are very encouraging and thank you very much for posting such useful and informative articles. Regards, seshagiri

2. Hi, take any herbal hair oil. – 200 ml, add pepper powder – 10 grams, heat it just for 3 minutes in mild fire and filter when it is hot. Do not over heat it.
    Use this oil.
    Also, it is better to apply this oil 30 minutes before head bath in the morning rather than at night (for people with sinusitis).
    regards

3. Very well written and helpful.
    How do we add indigo or neeli to Amla Coconut oil.
    Another thing is Amla makes the hair curly. if we do not want it curly what do we add to oil.

4. Thank you Dr. Hebbar for the great video. I have a few questions:
    * Is licorice root powder the same thing as licorice powder?
    *What is your opinion about methi daana (fenugreek seeds) in terms of hair care? Would you recommend adding it to this oil?
    *Is it okay if I don’t add Hibiscus flowers to this oil if they are not easily available?

Thank you for your help.

5. sir, thank you for this information. I just want to know can we use indigo(neel) in making hair oil and what proportion. Is it harmful to use. Thank you sir. Have a nice day.

• Hi, Indigo is quite commonly used in making hair oil. In this same formula, indigo powder can be used as another herb, in the same proportion to the other herbs mentioned.

• If you are making 1 liter of oil (~34 ounce), it might take 3 – 4 hours. from start to end.

6. Hi, you can apply dabur amla oil in place of your regular hair oil.
    Bhringaraj powder – you can make it into a hair pack by adding a little water, making it into paste and applying it 5 minutes before bath.
    Bhringaraj powder – quarter a teaspoon two times a day, after food, oral intake is good to stimulate liver, and also good for hair. It can be taken for a period of 2 – 4 weeks. Read more about Bhringaraj here – https://www.easyayurveda.com/2013/09/16/bhringraj-eclipta-alba-benefits-usage-dose-side-effects/

• Hi Aditya, You can use microwave or incubator ovens. But the point is, there is should be room for water evaporation. Once after it starts boiling, the temperature should not exceed 100 – 105 degree Celsius. Or else, the oil will get burnt.
      You can use any good brand of sesame oil available in the market. Since it is used for external application, the quality of the oil might not make big difference. If the oil is decent enough, it is good to go.

• Hi Nidhi, Applying it in the form of paste will surely have some benefits, though the effect might not be entirely similar to the oil.

• Hi, that reserved 10 gram each of powders is added directly to the oil+decoction mix while making heating. Please watch video as well. Let me know if you still have doubts.

• Dear Dr. Thank you very much for your article.
        For the past 3 years I am preparing the hair oil with the herbs & oil mentioned by u. But I am not using grated coconut powder. Moreover I am not heating it. Instead I am putting it in the sun light (sooriya pudam) for 7/10 days and using it. I am adding vettiver & rose petals in the oil. Is it correct.

• Dear Moulana, thanks for appreciation.
        1. The amount of grated coconut can be reduced proportionate to the other herbs that you add.
        2. Coconut oil: herbal powder = 16:1
        3. It is not a good idea to add other oil to the finally made coconut oil.

7. HI SIR,
    what is best method to infuse herbs oil.example: amla ,bhringraj etc.
    and what is the ratio ,if we use oil or water.
    tq

• As per Ayurveda, herb paste:sesame oil:water(or decoction) in 1:4:16 is the recommended ratio.

8. Thank You Sir,
    You explained well.
    But will boiling the oil won’t destroy its nutrients, good for hair as I read elsewhere.
    Secondly, I frequently have cough and cold problem, So may I use olive/mustard oil for this mixture.

• Once the contents start boiling, the heat amount is reduced and minimal heat just to keep the water boiling and evaporating is maintained. With this temperature, no useful phyto-chemicals will be lost.
      You can sue olive oil / mustard oil mix can surely be used in place of coconut oil.

9. Hi Doc,

Am in the States and African American, will it work on my natural hair because I dont have any chemical in it. The ingredients I can get them in product in any India stores.

10. Also I want to add onion to the oil, since I heard it is rich in sulphur which aids growth. And many people have said mustard is good for growth so sometimes I add mustard seeds while boiling coconut oil (since I cannot stand the mustard oil smell)

Please could you suggest how I can improvise? Thanks.

11. Heyy.. I have a question. Can we add Brahmi, Shikakai and areetha powder to the ingredients mentioned above?

12. Hi, ideally it is not very good to mix too many oils to make one herbal oil. Because it is yielding results, let us stick with black seed oil and castor oil. To your formula, you can a teaspoon of each of licorice and triphala.

13. I would like to know if oils really do work in helping with hair growth. How effective is an oil like this in regrowth of hair for someone who has experienced a lot of hair fall. How many times a week should this oil be applied and also for how many weeks/months should this regimen be followed to see good results? Thanks.

• Oils do help in hair growth. This one is also a good one.
      It needs to be applied at least once or twice a week.
      It will be good if the regimen is followed for at least 4 – 6 months, if not forever.

14. Hi Dr, thank you very much for this article , I’m from Germany and it’s difficult to find pre-boiled milk what I can use instead of it?

• Thank you for the fast response.do you mean i can use pasteurized milk from supermarket after boiling it? Because i can’t get raw milk

15. Hello Dr,

I would like to make this oil and have already bought all the ingredients. But I think I have sinus. could please recommend what need to be added or deleted so that I can use it without having headache because of the chillness in the oil. Will adding pepper solve the problem?

• Replace coconut oil with sesame oil. Problem solved. – Read the reason here – easyayurveda.com/2014/09/29/sesame-oil-better-hair-coconut-oil/

16. Hi, if you add aloe vera later, you will again have to heat it till the moisture content evaporates. perhaps, you will have to filter it again.
    You can add almond oil and olive oil.

17. Hi,

While making kashayam, you have kept 10g of each herbal powder aside.Not mentioning it in rest of article,what to do with that ?

• Hi, that 10 g of the powder is added to the oil directly along with the kashayam, in stage 2.

18. Namaste doctor,

Your information is very beatifully presented thank you.. I am a student in herbal medicine and have been focusing on ayurveda for some time now.

I was just curious with regards to the drava dravya, my understanding is for water the classical ration is 1:4:16.

if the drava dravya is decotion to reduce kalka by 1/3

if the drava dravya is milk to reduce kalka by 1/2 .

in your beautiful formula here i notice your drava dravya is decoction and milk . so im curious in general for when it is blended in this case (decoction and milk) so what would the ideal kalka ratio be?

example:

i was going to do a hair oil with decoction drava dravya, reducing kalka by 1/3 and perhaps replacing some milk for the decoction (for additional nutrition) but maintaining the classical 1:4:16 part.

so for 2 liter oil, i was thinking instead of adding 8 liter decoction perhaps 7 liter decocoction and 1 liter milk.

Not sure if you have any input or comment with regards to this as i have no experience combining drava dravya.

Namaste .

• Hi, the regular dravadravya ratio is 1:4:16
      But your understanding of proportions when added with milk etc is incorrect. Please wait till I cover the topic of rules of herbal oil / ghee making.
      In my present formula, I have over-ruled the dravadravya ratio and have used my own ratio based on my experience, considering ease of manufacturing for common public.

19. You can surely use triphala bhringaraj and methi seeds for oil preparation. Use sesame oil as base.
    You can stop using dabur amla oil or castor oil, once you start using the above oil.

• Thank you very much for your reply , sir. Pls let me know how I can use meghi seeds / powder into the oil. And pls pls let me know how to increase the volume of my sons hair.

• In the above oil formula, you can include methi (fenugreek) powder – one part, equal to the amount of other herbs. (Or you can even delete a herb from the above list, to add methi (fenugreek).
        This would also help to increase hair volume.

• Dear Dr.

Thank you very much for your very valuable articles on Ayurveda.
      Can we get the ready made oil of above composition, as we are not in a position to prepare the oil at home and if so, pl advise the name of the oil and source. It will greatly help for those who cannot prepare at home. Thanking you

20. Perhaps an update would be useful, since you mentioned sesame oil is preferred over coconut? 🙂 Also, I think according to Caraka, for it’s use in unctions, wouldn’t woman’s milk work better than cow’s? For a more practical question, I’m curious how much more effective would this oil be over regularly taking the ingredients internally. I suppose it would work since oil massage, for skin, is needed in addition to diet.

• Hi, coconut oil / sesame oil, apart from susceptibility for cold, as I discussed here (easyayurveda.com/2014/09/29/sesame-oil-better-hair-coconut-oil/), there is no much difference in the process of making the oil.
      If the oil is properly made and not burnt, this oil itself can be orally consumed – 10 drops a day, in the morning, with a cup of hot water for enhanced benefits.
      For all practical purposes, whenever milk is mentioned, cow’s milk is to be considered as per Ayurvedic principles. Hence, not ideal to use human milk.

21. Dear Dr.Hebbar,

Seems the technique of oil preparation and its quality identification was openly said. Thanks for that…Please help me by answering these.
    1. is this oil only enough for hair growth or need any internal medicines required?
    2. how this oil promotes hair growth?
    3. is this oils works in baldness at any age?if so how long i take to recover?
    4.Can we add henna for coloring the premature hairs?
    5.Finally, any specific foods required for hair growth?

• 1. If the problem is hair fall is chronic or if there is underlying other causes such as hypothyroidism, PCOS etc, then oral medicines will be required.
      2. By promoting the nourishment to hair root and strands.
      3. If someone is already bald, then a promise on this oil cannot be made.
      4. You can add henna to the formula.
      5. Specific foods for hair growth – Eat more of dry grapes, dates, milk, cashew, sesame, almonds, flax seed, green leafy vegetables, spinache, soyabean. Salmon, Tuna, Cod liver oil, Fish, fortified cereals, oysters, fortified soy products, ham, dairy products, egg, mushroom.

22. Hello Doctor,

Thank you for providing the details of this preparation.

Can you please suggest some good brands for buying the herbal powders like bhringaraj, amla, brahmi, Yashtimadhu, triphala, hibiscus, etc as it is always safe to use the oil prepared without any chemicals.

23. Hello Doc,

I would like to make an oil out of these ingredients, please let me know will there be any side effects or and negative effects

Neem, Hibiscus, Amla, Curry Leaf, Tulsi, Almond, Bhringraj, black sesame seed and Triphala

if i can what should be the quantity of each.

24. I tried to make this oil last night. I used sesame oil instead of coconut. I noticed That The ingredients never formed a wick and instead all separated from each other but it seemed that all the water was gone. It was foaming a lot and when I did fire test there was no sound sO I straiNed the oil. Did I do something wrong?? Is it still ok to use?

Also how does one know if the oil was burned or not??

• Hi, I think you over-heated it and the oil and the inner ingredients were slightly burnt.
      When there is slight moisture left, nearing to the end, the herb powders form a wick when rubbed in hand. If that stage is missed, if it is over burnt, then they will lose all moisture and the herbal powders will just scatter in the oil.

• Filtering was not done properly. Solid suspending herbal particles make the oil cloudy.
      Another reason – You might have stopped heating the oil before the total water content got completely evaporated.
      You will have to observe the ending signs that I have explained very carefully. It will come with experience. Try and try more!

25. Dear Dr Shruteeee, Greetings!
    Please try with Neelibhringadi or Karkuntal hair oil. and Shikakai for head bath.

26. Hi Doctor,
    Thanks for the great recipe. That is what I was looking for.
    I just worry all the herbs nutrients and benefits are gone through the heating and boiling.
    What Ayurveda says about it?

• Hi, this is the standard method of preparing oils as per Ayurveda. Most of the nutrients in the herbs are not volatile, hence are not lost by boiling.

• I have used plain unrefined coconut oil.
      You can use Patanjali or parachute coconut oil. Or even sesame oil.
      You can add methi seeds directly.
      Better to try with a batch of minimum 500 ml. With 200 ml of oil, you will not be able to appreciate features explained in the article above.
      You can add curry leaves or any such ingredient by replacing or adjusting the quantites. Better to add curry leaves while making the kashayam.
      You can use pasteurized milk.

27. I live in a rural area where it is difficult to source these ingredients. Is there anywhere to purchase the oil already made? Thanks!

• You can use Bhringamalakadi taila or Neelibhringadi taila, which are available even in rural India.

28. You can use the said ingredients.
    coconut milk can be used in place of powder
    Goat milk can be used in place of cow milk.
    500ml of Coconut Oil + 50 ml of each of rest of the oils.
    The oil will be good for hair growth and grey hairs.

29. Hello Doctor, Thank you very much for your great article.. It is really helpful

On a different note, Is the combination of Cuscuta Reflexa (Amar Bel), Eclipta alba (bhringraj), Citrullus Colocynthis (indrayan) in the combination ratio of 3:2:1 respectively, really a good solution for Hair growth?
    If so, what would be more helpful, a hair mask using the same in water or hair oil prepared using the same?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

• Hi, a hair mask prepared with the said three ingredients would be more useful than a hair oil. For hair oil, you can use Neelibhringadi oil.

30. dear sir,
    the problem with bhringraj oil (either from baidyanath or from any other manufacturer) is that they cause while pimple (safed funsi) all over my scalp. and also itchy scalp. what should i add in this oil to counter that effect? thnks

31. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!:) I wanted to ask would it be okay if I use amla,bhringraj,bramhi,fenugreek,hibiscus,neem,jatamansi,licorice,curry leave,black sesame seeds,coconut,cow’s milk and a base of castor oil?It wouldn’t be too much no?Also could I fuse more than one oil like castor and coconut oil?Thanks a lot.

God Bless,

32. Hi,
    You can test with keeping the oil on head whole night. If you do not develop cold or heaviness of head, then you continue doing so.
    As per traditional Ayurveda, oil or herbal decoction is prepared, added to the oil and then boiled till total water is lost, as explained in the above tutorial.

33. Hi sir,
    I have prepared the oil by ur method with a few more ingredients such as castor oil 50ml sesame oil 100ml mustard oil 100ml . It seems like the oil has burnt a little so I need to add some fragrance to get rid of the burnt smell.
    Plz advice..
    Thanks in advance.

34. Hello Doctor,

Thank you for the recipe. I am having dandruff along with hairfall.Will this oil help to cure dandruff also ?

35. Hi Doctor,

Thank you so much for the amazing hair oil recipe. For the last 4 years I have been living in a very cold place.( Before moving to this cold place I always lived in hot place). As soon as I moved to this place I started losing hair due to severe vaata. I also have have a tendency for kapha. I have burning sensation on my scalp with severe dryness and gradual receding hair line and hair loss on the scalp which started on sides first. Please let me know which hair oils to use in the above recipe and which proportions? Should I only use coconut oil or sesame+coconut oil or any other combinations?

Best regards

• Hi, it is best for you to use just sesame oil in place of coconut oil, in the above formula.

36. Hi Doctor, it is a great recepie that you’ve shared.. Thank you..
    I have a query..Can this recepie be boiled in a copper vessel..Pls let me know the reaction of the mixture with copper..Also I’ve heard that milk cannot be boiled in copper vessel..Pls explain..

• Hi, copper is usually cleansing, and weight reducing (opposite to the quality of this oil, which is nourishing and strength promoting). hence, better to use iron / steel vessel.

37. Sir , can jatamamsi, Nila and manjishta be added to this combination and What should be the quantity to be added

38. Good day Dr Hebbar, I am loving this oil and it’s results! What is the best formula to wash out the oil. I have tried many recipes but I am left with heavy oily hair unless I use shampoo with chemicals (and I want to avoid this)! Thank you.

• Herbal hair wash powders – reetha + triphala + bhringaraja. You can make it on your own.