By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
The Rasayanas which enhance intellect and longevity are called Medhayushkamiya Rasayana. Simple ingredients such as turmeric, lotus seeds, barley etc are used which are easy to procure and few simple lifestyle changes are mentioned which improves wisdom and bestows longevity of life.
1. Shwetha Bakuchi Beeja / Shweta Avalguja Beeja Rasayana
Shweta Avalguja Beeja Rasayana is a method of administering white variety of seeds of Psoralea corylifolia as an immune modulator (rasayana). Bakuchi is a synonym of Avalguja. Therefore this Rasayana is also called as Shweta Bakuchi Rasayana.
Read – Bakuchi – Psoralea corylifolia – Usage, Benefits, Ayurveda Details
a. Shweta Avalguja Beeja Rasayana
Preparation – Seeds of Psoralea corylifolia are dried in Sun and powdered. To this powder, jaggery is added. This is kept in a earthen vessel whose inner wall is smeared with ghee, the lid closed and sealed. This vessel is then kept in the heap of grains for 7 days. After 7 days the vessel is removed.
Method of use of Rasayana – It given in a dose of 48 grams, before sunrise, to a person who has been purified by purification therapies and who is desirous of obtaining enriched intellect and longevity. The person is encouraged to drink hot water as after drink.
He should enter a specially built cottage for consuming the Rasayana as explained in the context of consuming Bhallataka i.e. Semecarpus anacardium.
Read – Kuti Praveshika Rasayana – Rejuvenation Therapy In Health Chambers
Follow up – When the medicine gets digested, the person should take cold water bath towards afternoon. He should eat cooked rice or rice grown in 60 days with milk mixed with sugar.
Benefits of consuming Bakuchi Rasayana
- After taking this Rasayana for 6 months, the person becomes devoid of all sins.
- He is bestowed with immense strength and color.
- He grasps whatever he has heard and will have enriched memory.
- Lives for a time span of 100 years being devoid of any diseases.
Read – Rasayana Therapy (Anti Ageing, Rejuvenation) Benefits, Meaning
b. Krishna Avalguja Beeja Rasayana – Black variety of Psoralea corylifolia
The patients suffering from skin disorders, anemia and abdominal disorders should be administered with powder of black variety of Psoralea corylifolia in a dose of 24 grams mixed in urine of cow, early in the morning or at the end of the day. In the afternoon he should be served with ghee mixed cooked rice along with salt-less soup of Emblica officinalis.
Read – Amla Benefits, Dose, How To Use, Side Effects, Home Remedies
On consuming this Rasayana for 1 month, the person becomes bestowed with
- good memory
- disease free state
- longevity of 100 years lifespan
Other Rasayanas –
In the same method as explained for white variety of Psoralea corylifolia, the below mentioned herbs too shall be used for the purpose of tapping the benefits of Rasayana –
c. Chitrakamula Rasayana
In this, root powder of Plumbago zeylanica (maximum dose 96 grams) is used as Rasayana.
Read – Chitrak – Plumbago zeylanica Benefits, Dose, Side Effects, Research
d. Haridra Rasayana
Here, turmeric powder is used in the form of Rasayana.
2. Mandukaparni Swarasa Rasayana Yoga
The person should be purified by administration of cleansing therapies like emesis and purgation. After this he should undergo the graduated dietetic regimen, gradually consuming thin gruel, thick gruel, semi-solid food and finally solid foods.
After gaining strength with the above said diet, he should enter a specially constructed cottage for the purpose of consuming Rasayana, as explained for consumption of Ballataka i.e. Semecarpus anacardium.
After this, he should consume the juice of Mandukaparni i.e. Centella asiatica mixed in milk or with milk as after-drink as per his capacity. The juice should have been given oblation with Sahasra Sampata Mantra hymns.
Read – Analysis Of Effect of Mantras On Health And Nadi
After digestion of the medicine, the person should be served with cooked barley along with milk.
Alternate method 1 –
Juice of Mandukaparni i.e. Centella asiatica should be taken with sesame seeds, with milk as after-drink. After the digestion of medicine, cooked rice should be eaten along with milk and ghee.
Benefits of Mandukaparni Rasayana
- The person becomes capable of retaining whatever he has heard
- He is bestowed with valor
- The person lives for 100 years
Alternate method 2 –
The person should fast for 3 days and consume Centella asiatica for 3 days. After 3 days he should take milk and ghee.
Alternate method 3 –
48 grams of paste of Centella asiatica should be mixed in milk and consumed. When the person consumes this medication for 12 days, he becomes intellectual genius and lives for 100 years.
Read – Gotu Kola Health Benefits, Uses, Dose, Side Effects
3. Brahmi Swarasa Rasayana Yoga
After administering purifying therapies followed by graduated dietetic protocol, the person should enter the cottage and consume juice of Brahmi which has been given with oblation of ‘Sahasra Sampata Mantra’ hymns as per his capacity.
After the food gets digested, in the noon, he should take gruel devoid of salt. If milk is compatible, the person should take the gruel mixed with milk.
Benefits of Brahmi Swarasa Rasayana
On consuming this Rasayana for 7 days, the person becomes endowed with luster and wisdom.
When he consumes it for the next 7 days, he becomes capable of creating any desired treatise. He can also remember elaborate contents of the texts and treatises.
On consuming the same for the next 7 days, he is bestowed with great memory that he remembers even 100 things said just twice.
This way, on consumption of this Rasayana for 21 days all his grief, worries and poverty will be destroyed without trace.
Goddess Saraswati, the goddess of learning and wisdom will enter his body. The person gains immense capacity of remembering all the treatises which he hears or reads and almost everything he hears.
He is bestowed with a lifespan of 500 years.
Read – Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) Benefits, Dose, Side Effects, Research
4. Brahmi Ghrita Rasayana
Ghee should be processed with the below mentioned ingredients –
- Juice of Bacopa monnieri – 1536 grams
- Ghee – 768 grams
- Vacha – Acorus calamus – 96 grams
- Guduchi – Tinospora cordifolia – 96 grams
- Triphala – Fruits of Terminalia chebula, Terminalia bellirica and Emblica officinalis – 576 grams
Read – An Ancient Way Of Using Triphala As An Anti Ageing Remedy
The prepared ghee is stored in a secured place.
Later this should be consumed according to one’s capacity or 48 grams.
When the medicine gets digested, he should take cooked rice with ghee and milk.
Benefits of Brahmi Ghrita Rasayana –
- This Rasayana expels the worms from upper, middle and lower parts of the body.
- It removes poverty.
- The color of the body becomes like that of a lotus flower.
- The life span gets established i.e. the medicine bestows longevity.
- The person remembers anything which he hears.
- He lives for 300 years.
It is a useful cleansing medicine used for purgation in diseases like skin diseases, intermittent fevers, epilepsy and memory loss, insanity, poisoning, mental afflictions, infections, affliction by bad omens and many other dreadful diseases.
Read – Right Method Of Rasayana Therapy – Dr CR Agnives
5. Vacha Rasayana Yoga
The person who has undergone body purifying therapies like emesis, purgation etc, should enter the special cottage constructed for the purpose of consuming Rasayana.
In the cottage, he should perform fire sacrifice. Later he should consume Acorus calamus of the size of an Indian gooseberry mixed in milk.
When the medicine gets digested, he should consume cooked rice with milk and ghee. This should be taken for 12 days.
Benefits of Vacha Rasayana Yoga
- This Rasayana when taken for 12 days enhances the perception of sound in the person.
- When taken for the next 12 days, he will be bestowed with good memory power.
- When he consumes the same Rasayana for 12 days the third time, he will become capable of retaining the information of anything which he hears.
- When he consumes the Rasayana for 12 days the fourth time, he becomes free from all sins.
- His vision becomes as sharp as an eagle and the person lives for 100 years.
Read – Vacha – Acorus calamus Uses, Research, Side Effects, Remedy
5. Rasayana Shatapaka Vacha Ghrita
The ghee processed for 100 times with decoction and paste of Acorus calamus, when consumed in a dose of 12 kg, 288 grams, the person lives for 500 years.
- The person is bestowed a longevity of 500 years
- The Rasayana destroys diseases like goiter, cervical lymph gland enlargement, filariasis and hoarseness of voice etc
6. Ayurvardhaka Rasayana
Ash of gold, powder of Aegle marmelos, ghee and honey should be mixed together. They should be given 1000 oblations of Shreesukta (hymns mentioned in Atharva Veda) on Pushya Nakshatra day. Later the formulation should be consumed every day early in the morning.
Decoction prepared with the roots of Aegle marmelos whose bark has been removed should be consumed by mixing it with milk, every day, after having taken bath and performed fire sacrifice and other sacred rituals.
- The person lives for 10,000 years.
- He becomes yuktaratha i.e. eligible to take rasayana.
Read – Similarities between Rasayana and Pathya (Healthy Diet)
7. Bisa kwatha Rasayana
Decoction of Nymphaea stellata should be consumed with honey and parched grain, after having conducted fire sacrifice. This Rasayana doesn’t go waste and provides longevity of 1 lakh years to those who consume it regularly.
8. Daridrya Nashaka Rasayana Yoga
a. The formulation prepared from below mentioned ingredients, when taken with cow’s milk will destroy poverty –
- Ash of gold
- Seeds of lotus
- Laja – parched grains
- Priyangu – Callicarpa macrophylla
b. Decoction of Nilotpala i.e. Nymphaea stellata should be cooked with cow’s milk. This should be consumed with ash of gold and sesame. It is said to destroy the poverty.
Read – Water Lily – Kumuda Benefits, Side Effects, Research
9. Gavyadi Yuktaratha Rasayana
The person consuming the combination of cow’s milk, calx of gold, wax and honey which has been given with 1 lakh oblations will become yuktaratha i.e. equivalent to an elixir / Rasayana.
10. Medha Vardhaka Vachadi Yoga
Acorus calamus, ghee, ash of gold and powder of Aegle marmelos should be taken with ghee.
- Enhances intellect and life span
- Bestows good health
- Nourishes the body
- Enhances prosperity
Read – Swarna Vacha: Home Remedy For Immunity, Memory, Intelligence
11. Vasa Mula Rasayana
Oil processed with decoction of roots of Adhatoda vasica, 4 kg 800 grams in quantity, should be given 1000 oblations and consumed. This enhances intellect and bestows longevity.
12. Yava Rasayana Yoga
The dishes prepared with powdered barley should be consumed with honey and powder of long pepper. The person consuming this Rasayana will expertise in learning the shastras (science, subject, treatise) even without being trained, just like the child walks even without being trained after the infancy has been crossed.
Read – Barley (Hordeum vulgare) – Qualities, Uses, Remedies, Research
13. Arishtashamaka Madhvadi Yoga
A combination of honey, powder of Emblica officinalis and ash of gold when consumed will resuscitate a person from the death bed, when he has given up all hopes of living.
14. Vashikarana Shatavari Ghrita
One can even take a king under control when he consumes every day, a combination of honey, ash of gold and Shatavari ghrita.
15. Saubhagyakara Gochandanadi Yoga
A person desirous of prosperity and auspiciousness should consume the below mentioned ingredients mixed together –
- Priyangu – Callicarpa macrophylla
- Putranjivaka – Putranjiva roxburghii
- Calx of gold
16. Saubhagyakara Padmadi Yoga
Ghee should be prepared with the decoction of Padma i.e. Nelumbo nucifera and Nilotpala along with licorice. This ghee should be consumed always. Following this, milk cooked with the same herbs should be consumed. This formulation of Rasayana destroys poverty, enhances lifespan and bestows wealth and auspiciousness.
Read – Ghee Benefits, Usage, Side Effects, Contra Indications
17. Buddhi Medha Vardhaka Gana
The below mentioned group is said to enhance intelligence / wisdom –
- Satata Adhyayana – constant practice of reading and revising things constantly
- Vada – arguments in a healthy way to put forth one’s theories and substantiate them
- Paratantra Avalokana – Referring the contemporary and other important works and also respecting them / cross reference
- Tadvidya – learning everything good from one’s science and other’s too, and teaching the same to the next generation
- Acharya seva – respecting and serving the great teachers related to our learning process
Read – Achara Rasayana – Behavioral Therapy For Calm Mind And Long Life
18. Ayurvardhaka Gana
Below mentioned are said to bestow longevity of life –
- Bhojanam Jirne – taking food after the previously taken food has been digested
- Veganam cha avidharanam – not forcibly withholding the natural urges
- Brahmacharyam – celibacy
- Ahimsa – non-violence
- Sahasanam cha varjanam – keeping away from adventurous activities
All the Rasayana formulation explained in this context enhance intellect and provide longevity. They ward off grief and poverty and bestow auspiciousness and fortune. They would provide one with enormous strength equivalent to that of an elephant and make the mortals equivalent to Gods.
In whichever preparation, the utterance of hymns is not specified or giving oblations to the medication before consumption has not been specified, one should recite ‘Gayatri Mantra’ hymn.