An Ancient Way Of Using Triphala As An Anti Ageing Remedy

This particular remedy of Triphala is explained by master Charaka as a way to live for more than 100 years. Triphala – a simple combination of Amla, Baheda and Harad is known to have anti ageing effect since thousands of years. Its references of usage as anti ageing medicine is found in Charaka Samhita and Sushruta Samhita.

Triphala, Sanskrit verse

Triphala is a combination of
Haritaki – Chebulic myrobalan – Terminalia chebula – fruit rind
Vibheetaki – Beleric Myrobalan – Terminalia bellerica
Amalaki (Indian gooseberry fruit) – Emblica officinalis Gaertn
You get Triphala churna readily in any Ayurveda store.

triphala-anti-ageing-remedy

Take 100 grams of Triphala powder. Make it into a paste with water.
Take a clean iron vessel – tumbler or just an iron plate or an iron pan.
Apply the paste of Triphala powder over the iron vessel.
Leave it to dry for 24 hours.
Scrape out the paste from the iron vessel after 24 hours. Keep it in a clean dry container. Make sure that the Triphala is completely dried, when preserved. If not, it may get spoilt in a week time.

iron pan

How to consume?

This Triphala powder is administered in a dose of 5 – 10 grams, along with a teaspoon of honey.
It is made into paste with honey and consumed with a cup of water, after food.
If this remedy is taken in the morning, one should take at least 5 grams of ghee or sesame oil (in diet) in the evening.
If this remedy is taken at night, one should consume at least 5 grams of ghee or sesame oil (in diet), in the next breakfast.

Benefits, Actions

Benefits:
Charaka writes –
By using this recipe continually for one year, one can live for one hundred years, free from ageing and diseases.

How it works?
As per Ayurveda, the nature of vessel that we use for cooking or storing any substance adds its own medicinal value to the substance. Even naturally, we can observe the difference in bathing water, which is boiled in a traditional copper vessel and which is heated by a modern day geyser.

Triphala, a combination of 3 ayurvedic fruits

In Ayurveda, Iron is used as an anti ageing remedy. Read more related to benefits of Iron – Loha Bhasma.
Few benefits of Iron are –
It is nourishing, sweet, sour and bitter in taste.
It is coolant in nature and heavy to digest. It has scraping quality, hence useful in cardiovascular diseases. It improves strength, immunity, skin texture, complexion, memory, intelligence, digestive power and acts as natural aphrodisiac.

Triphala comes with its own set of benefits. read here.
In short, it is good for eyes, spleen, liver, blood vessels, a very good anti oxidant.
So, overall, this combination makes a perfect anti ageing remedy.

Effect on Tridosha – Balances all the three Doshas.

Precaution

Diabetic people should consult their doctor before using honey. Only if the blood sugar level is under control, 2 – 5 grams of honey per day can be used, otherwise, not.
It is best to avoid this remedy during pregnancy.

So why the advice to take ghee or sesame oil?
Both Triphala and honey have rookshata – dryness as a quality. To counter it, after its digestion, ghee / sesame oil is advised.

Shelf life

Shelf life of the remedy
Once prepared, the Triphala churna can be stored only for 1 – 2 months only. To be on the safer side, it is best to prepare this remedy once every month.
Reference: Charaka Samhita, Chikitsa Sthana, 1st chapter

46 thoughts on “An Ancient Way Of Using Triphala As An Anti Ageing Remedy”

• It is useful to improve digestion strength and useful in Irritable bowel Disorder, Hemorrhoids. It is also a good liver tonic.

1. Sir I have a few questions regarding regarding its use :
    Can we take this preparation on an empty stomach every morning ?
    Can we prepare it on daily basis?
    Is it necessary to combine it with honey or can we simply take it with lukewarm water ?

2. What is the ratio of the 3? Some say equal parts of the shell of the 3, while others say that it should be Harra 1, Baherra 2 , amlaa 3 parts.

3. 1. Hi, because this advice comes directly from Master Charaka, there is no problem in continuing for one year. Triphala is one of the most harmless medicine of Ayurveda. So, no problem at all to continue it for one year time.

2. Again, sticking with the ancient advice, iron vessel is better than Loha Bhasma. Loha bhasma can be used as alternative. – Probably, 25 mg of Lohabhasma with a teaspoon of Triphala. But this would not be as efficient as the ancient method.

3. Will try to cover this topic.
    4. Will surely try.

• Please list the benefits of different types of Triphala:
      1) Harad/Baheda/Amla in 1:1:1 ratio
      2) Same in 1:2:4 ratio
      3) In 1:2:3 ratio
      Arun

• 1. Traditionally most accepted and widely used.
        2. Will be more coolant.
        3. Comparatively lesser coolant than option 2.

4. Triphala cause me loose stools 4,5 times. How to stop. Is it good indication that my toxins are being removed?

5. Dr, I remember you advising that Triphala which contains a sour fruit like amla cannot be taken along with milk. Is yogurt and buttermilk ok? Is it healthy & safe to mix grated raw amla with yogurt and consume everyday with lunch and dinner as a thambuli?

Thank you.

6. Hello Doctor, nowadays triphala juice is availabke in market? Is it equally effective? Your advice will be very valuable to me. Thanks

7. Dear sir ,regarding iron vessel…can we use the iron plate or henchu in kannada that is used for baking chaptis

8. No problem with it.
    1. Triphala powder should be of very good quality.
    2. The water should not be soaked for more than 12 hours.
    3. Each day, to be prepared fresh.

9. Namaste,

I have read somewhere once that if someone has excess pitta, triphala should be avoided? I am not sure if my mom has excess pitta… It seems all her dosha may be imbalanced. She has acid reflux, IBS, stress, anger/stubbornness, migraines, chronic sinusitis, anxiety, and depression. Is it fine to take 1) triphala with lukewarm water, 2) ashwagandha with hot water, and 3) arjuna as a chai for her? Each one would be taken twice a week after dinner on alternate schedule. I would also make amla smoothies and amla chutney with haldi and garlic. And garlic aachar. Thank you for all your help and immense knowledge.

10. Hi Doctor. Am in my 35th week of pregnancy. Due to dry skin, I developed skin rashes in the inner thigh. When consulted my gynaec advised me to apply coconut oil and to keep the area well moisturised. One of my relative, suggested me to apply the Triphala powder boiled in water, and the water has to poured daily over the inner thighs and groin area. But as I have heard, it’s not safe to use during pregnancy. Can u pls explain if that is the right form of applying the powder and is it safe to use during pregnancy?
    Thanks in advance.

• You can mix 10 grams of turmeric powder to 100 ml of coconut oil. Apply this, 2 times a day.

11. Is triphala powder can b taken for piles problem simultaneously with allopathy medicines as i hav fatty liver problem too.

12. Dear Sir ,

I have constipation for which I take 7 grams of triphala churna (Sri Sri Ayurveda of 1:1:1 ratio) at night with warm water daily . This works for me . Please let me know if this amount of triphala can be taken daily life long ?

13. So what they can be safely taken long term for weight management? I tried to do triphala but over the years it has become very drying that I cannot even take amalaki by itself. I took it for 7 years straight.

14. sir recently started using triphala 1:2:3. ,i use it every morning empty stomach with normal temp water, here it is monsoon season is it safe to take this way ?. as i read somewhere during monsoon triphala should be taken with rock salt sendha namak. thank you.

15. Many times I have bought triphala. Some brands give finely powdered and there are some who give coarsly ground. Does coarsly ground has any advantage like more fiber. Most coarsly ground powder also gives feel of sand like feel in the last gulp example at the bottom especially when I soak and drink.

• If it is direct oral intake, then fine powder of Triphala is preferred.
      Coarse Triphala powder if taken directly can cause throat irritation.

16. Dear Dr. Hebbar,

What is the difference in effects if triphala is taken in ‘night vs early morning’?

Thanks.

17. Hello Dr Hebbar. I tried to make this 2 days ago. I think the initial triphala paste I made was wet, so it took 36 hours to dry in an iron pan with a little heat applied at the end. The resulting mixture is black (I assume from the iron, is that right?), almost looking like charcoal. Is this how it should be?