Gotu Kola Health Benefits, Uses, Dose, Side Effects

Gotu Kola is an ancient Indian herb, used both for culinary and therapeutic purposes. It is known  as Mandukaparni in Sanskrit. But it is also used in the name of Brahmi. It belongs to Apiaceae family.
Botanical name: Centella asiatica, Hydrocotyle asiatica

Gotu Kola

Remedy for cough

Reference: Astanga Hrudayam, Kasa Chikitsita Adhyaya, 3/118-119.
During chronic cough, chest injury, chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis etc conditions, 48 ml of juice of fresh Gotu kola is consumed daily along with milk. The dose is increased by 6 ml, everyday. This is continued for one month.
During this period, the patient should drink only milk and abstain from eating solid foods.
This recipe is best to promote nourishment, lifespan, strength, skin health and immunity.
Shloka reference:

पिबेन्नागबलामूलस्यार्धकर्षाभिवर्धितम् ॥ ११८ ॥
पलं क्षीरयुतं मासं क्षीरवृत्तिरनन्नभुक् ।
एष प्रयोगः पुष्ट्यायुर्बलवर्णकरः परम् ॥ ११९ ॥
मण्डूकपर्ण्याः कल्पोऽयं यष्ट्या विश्वौषधस्य च ।
pibennāgabalāmūlasyārdhakarṣābhivardhitam || 118 ||
palaṃ kṣīrayutaṃ māsaṃ kṣīravṛttiranannabhuk |
eṣa prayogaḥ puṣṭyāyurbalavarṇakaraḥ param || 119 ||
maṇḍūkaparṇyāḥ kalpo’yaṃ yaṣṭyā viśvauṣadhasya ca |

Mandukparni medicinal qualities

Rasa (Taste): Tikta (bitter)
Guna (qualities): Laghu (light to digest)
Vipaka (taste conversion after digestion): Madhura (sweet)
Veerya (potency): Sheeta (cold)
Effect on Tridosha: Balances Kapha and Pitta.
Prabhava (special effect): Medhya – improves intelligence

Gotu Kola Ayurveda Details

Ayurveda uses

It is used extensively as Rasayana – anti aging, rejuvenative.
It improves
Bala- strength
Varna – skin quality
Svara – voice strength
Agni – digestive power
Medhya – improves intelligence
It is useful in
Raktapitta – bleeding disorders like menorrhagia, nasal bleeding, bleeding per rectum etc.
Hrudya – good for heart, cardiac tonic
Kushta – skin diseases
Meha – Prameha – diabetes, urinary tract disorders
Jwara – fever
Shwasa – asthma, COPD, wheezing, breathing difficulty
Kasa – cough, cold
Aruchi – anorexia, lack of interest in taking food
Smrutiprada – improves memory
Vishahara – useful in treating poisoning
Shothahara – relieves inflammation

In Thailand, Gotu Kola is used in detoxification of Opium poisoning. For this purpose, Gotu Kola paste or water decoction in higher doses is administered for a period of few months.

Gotu Kola 2 -3 leaves are chewed and eaten, once or twice a day, to relieve sluggish liver or in liver related disorders.

Gotu Kola

Part used, Dosage

Part used: : Whole plant
Dosage: Gotu Kola juice extract: 10 – 30 ml,
Powder – 3 – 6 grams.
Gotu kola extract is used in a dose of 60 – 180 mg to relieve venous insufficiency (to improve blood circulation).

Gotu Kola fresh juice

Can it be given to children?
For children below 10 years of age, gotu kola fresh leave juice can be strong. Better to prepare a liquid chutney out of it and administer.
For children above 10 years, it can be given in lower doses.

Diet to follow

Ghee, coconut oil, Sunflower seed, almond, taro root, flaxseed oil, soyabean, pistachio,
Broccoli, carrots, chard, nuts, papaya, pumpkin, red peppers
Flax seeds, walnut, tofu, brussel sprout, cauliflower, winter squash, fish oil, egg oil, krill oil, chia seeds, camelia are fine to take.
There are no diet restrictions. Please avoid all types of junk foods and Sodas. Please prefer homemade food wherever possible.

Side effects

Its over-dosage may cause drowsiness. Hence,  if people taking sedatives (to aid sleep) take Gotu Kola, they may feel excessively sleepy. Hence, if you are using Gotu Kola regularly, then consider consulting your doctor for reduction in sedatives dosage.
It is considered safe during pregnancy and lactation. But it is best to use this herb under medical supervision.

Interaction with medicines, supplements

Can this be used while taking Homeopathic medicine?
Yes. This product does not react with homeopathic medicine.

Can this medicine be continued while taking supplements like multivitamin tablets, Omega 3 fatty acids etc?
Yes. Generally, this product goes well with most of the dietary supplements. However, if you are taking more than one product per day, please consult your doctor for an opinion.

With western medicines
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are taking this product along with other western (allopathic / modern) medicines. Some Ayurvedic herbs can interact with modern medicine.
If both Ayurvedic and allopathic medicines are advised together, then it is best to take Allopathic medicine first, wait for 30 minutes and then take the Ayurvedic medicine.

How to use?

Fresh juice extract of the green Gotu Kola leaves is used in Ayurveda. Gotu kola leaves are also used in many Indian Chutneys. Its dry herb powder is also used. Nowadays, tablets and capsules of Gotu kola is also available. Gotu Kola can be given to children, and elderly.

As per Charaka Samhita Chikitsa Sthana 1.3, regular intake of 5 – 10 ml of juice extract of Gotu Kola is explained as an excellent brain tonic and rejuvnator – Medhya Rasayana.

Research

Recent research on Gotu Kola benefits –   Gotu kola is an effective herb against depression. Gotu Kola is rich in anti oxidants  like superoxide desmutase. (1) Gotu Kola is known to have healing effect over gastric ulcers.

Ayurvedic medicines

Ayurvedic medicine with Gotukola as ingredient:
As mentioned previously, it is often used in place of Brahmi.
It is an ingredient of
Karimbirumbadi Kashayam – used in jaundice, anorexia etc.
Brihat Guduchi Taila – used in gout, arthritis etc.

Gotu Kola for powder massage

Gotu Kola is used as an ingredient for Udvartana, also known as ubtan / powder massage. Powder massage with this is useful in treating obesity, to improve local blood circulation and to improve muscle tone and complexion.

Action on Vata dosha

Is Gotu Kola drying in nature? Does it increase Vata Dosha? Does it have moisturizing effect?
Gotu Kola does not increase Vata to a large extent. Because of its coolant effect, it is moisturizing to the tissues.

Vernacular names, Sanskrit synonyms

Hindi name: Bengsag, Brahmi
Bengali name: Thulkudi
Telugu name: Sarasvathy Aku
Tamil name: Vallari Kirai
Marathi name: Karivan, Karivana
Gujarati name: Khanda Brahmi
Kannada name: Ondelaga soppu

Sanskrit Synonyms:
Mandukaparni – leaves resemble shape of frog
Manduki – available in moist places, similar to frogs
Sarasvati – found in watery, moist places, improves intelligence.

Classical categorization

Charaka Samhita
Vayasthapana – Group of herbs that are used for anti aging treatment
Tiktaskandha – Bitter tasting group of herbs
Prajasthapana – Useful to protect pregnancy.
Sushruta Samhita
Tiktavarga – Bitter tasting group of herbs.

89 thoughts on “Gotu Kola Health Benefits, Uses, Dose, Side Effects”

1. Hello DR.

Nice article. I was giving my son brahmi rasayan, he is 15 months. Can you let me know the dosage

2. Hello Dr.HEBBARJI,

Thank you for the article reg. GOTU KOLA.
    We are having the plant in our compound, can we have a leaf per head daily?

OMPRAKASH.

3. Hi Manav, If you had so much benefits with Gotu Kola, you can easily grow it in a pot. Only thing is, it requires continuous watering.

• Hello,
      Thank you Doctor. By the way I have had 2 keloids since my childhood, and after taking mandukaparni of himalaya 250 mg extracts 2 capsules twice a day for my ADD, I relalized after a month that one of my keloid has completely been disappeared/dissolved, which was such a wonder for me!
      Anyways doctor thank you once again. I will buy Organic India Brahmi (350 mg) capsules, How many should i’ve to take as it’s not extracts but organic herb powder in compare to Himalaya madukaparni which was 250 mg extracts per capsule?
      And i have planned to grow gotu kola at my home, i bought already from nursory they call it brahmi here.
      Manav

• Hi, If you have found benefits with Himala Mandukaparni, then do not change it to Organic India Brahmi. Please continue with Mandukaparni itself.

4. Hello doctor,

Very informative site. Thank you for sharing all this information. Can you please tell me if it is okay to have 30ml of Brahmi juice on a daily basis – for general health? Or should it be taken thrice a week? My uric acid level is a bit high and I have just started medication for the same. Other than that health is mostly okay, but I am slightly anemic. Am taking iron supplements for the same.

5. Can gotu kola powder be taken with milk? If this is taken in morning, how much maximum dose is best to avoid drowsy effect?

Does it aggravate Vata?

• a 500 mg capsule in the morning or 1 gram of root powder, along with milk in the morning should not produce any sedative effect. It does not aggravate Vata.

6. Just to clear confusion, jala brahmi is commonly used to indicate brahmi and ondelaga is commonly used term for both kola. An average of one teaspoon of ujala brahmi can be used on a daily basis to make chatney. You can make the chutney with the above said combination. No problem.

7. You can take it for 2 months in a dose of a teaspoon in the morning, before food, with a little milk.

8. Sir some one suggested me to take gotu kula one tea spoon twice day ( dried leave powder in sunlight ) for my stammering is it really useful in it? and the dose is ok? and when take? and with which? Plz guide me
    Thanku

• Dr. I bought organic India Bramhi – Goto Kola and its 350 mg. How many capsules I should take? . On the bottle says one capsule once a day but that dose seems low but I donot know much about it.. I want to take for depression, energy , mental clarity ( for brain fog) over all well being. Is this herb best yo taken morning or at night or both with food or without on empty stomach?. Does this herb makes you drowsy ?. Also I would like to know if I use the for long term.
      Also will it help ringing in the ears ? I have loud ringing in high ears and have Eutain tubes dysfuction and I am postmenopausal in late 50′.

• Hi, it can be taken – one capsule at night after food. For the rest of your health complaints, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

9. Doctor, I have read that Kotu Kola may help fatigue. I have Sjogren’s Syndrome and my most debilitating symptom is extreme fatigue. I am desperate for natural/herbal remedy to help me get through the day at work and somehow have my social life back. Could Kotu Kola help or are there other herbs that could help with fatigue caused by an auto-immune disease such as mine?

I do work closely with my rheumatologist and am on an ideal diet, get enough sleep, and am exercising for a half hour every day. Even so, my fatigue is still extreme and I am searching for anything that could help. Thank you so much for your time.

10. Doc i,am,curiois,to know if brahmi ghrita can really cure mental disorders and is it practically seen in todays world dat it can really cure insanity?? Or its just written in ayurvedic texts only?? Is it a myth or reality?

11. Thank you sir. Your website has been very helpful.

Will this helps in varicocele?

Medication for varicose veins and varicocele, is it same? If not please write an article on varicocele.

12. Goto Kola -is it best taken in the morning 2 cap after food or 2 after dinner OR should be taken 1 capsule twice a day after food for long term Or 1 capsule once a day morning or evening?. [organinc india 350mg per capsule]
    How often one should take a break from herb and how long the break should be?.

• It depends on the purpose, age and condition of the patient. Usual dose is – 2 capsules per day.
      If someone is seeking calm mind and good sleep, it makes sense to take one or two capsules at night. Because Gotu Kola is commonly used as a leafy vegetable in many parts of India, it is considered very safe. Hence it can be used for longer periods of 3 – 4 months and continued after a month’s break.

13. Does Goto kola help with thyriod like T3 , TSH , and Antibodies if so how many MG a day . Morning or evening with food without food ?

14. DR. how many mg of goto kola should I take or in tsp} 1/4 tsp or more a day for long term for adreanals , spider veins,vericos veins and ringing in the ears.Is it better to take Am or Pm with food or wothout.Thank you

15. I read that it is also used as one of the ingredients for preparation of udvartana powder.
    Pls provide some information about the benefits of this in udvartana

16. There are not many research studies conducted in this regard. But still it is safe to take while on birth control pills.

17. Dear sir, Modern research has even begun to evaluate Brahmi’s role against several neurological diseases although we need to be clear that Brahmi isn’t a cure or treatment for any of these health issues, supplementation with the herb has been evaluated.

In Schizophrenia in particular it is known that Brahmi has generated excitement as a potential therapy for schizophrenia because animal studies have reported that it stabilizes certain chemicals in the brain. The regulation of these chemicals may help some of the cognitive impairment common in persons with schizophrenia.

According to a study, 2-3 leaves a day chewed for a month has shown a considerable change in schizophrenia related problems.

18. Dear sir, Modern research has even begun to evaluate Brahmi’s role against several neurological diseases although we need to be clear that Brahmi isn’t a cure or treatment for any of these health issues, supplementation with the herb has been evaluated.

According to a study, 2-3 leaves a day in the morning chewed for a month has shown a considerable change in schizophrenia related problems.

19. For all practical purposes, Mandookaparni = Gotu kola = Centella asiatica. So, Impcops contains the same.

20. 2 leaves each of Tulsi + Bramhi + Shankhapuspi with honey can improve memory. With that yoga and pranayama will give good dividends.

• If you are having throat irritation by taking the leaves then you can take the juice extract with water.

• Hello Madam, He was prescribed Mandukaparni tablets for ADD and not for keloid. There is not a direct reference stating that it helps in keloid removal.

21. Dr hebber i have gotukola plant at my place in delhi but its shredding day by day..and i am not able to get a leaf of it since i ordered it. Can u suggest mr what should i do in order to maintain this plant as i have tried watering gor some days regularily but not going well.can u suggest me on this..and also like to ask you which is best medicine or powder available for gotukola as i waiting from last 2 months to take it but unable to..or should i order dry leaves of gotukola?As i have concetration from long time issue pls suggest me some good and short term treatmnt..

22. Brahmi Ghrita, Saraswatairshta etc many medicines are there. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

23. plz help ..
    i have develop stretch marks on my body on many parts .i tried various creams and olive oil too but all in vain ,,how will this gotu kola will help me to get them cured .plz help

24. Dear Sir

Can you tell me the best time to take Gotu Kola for treating a stomach ulcer? In the morning, or night? On an empty stomach, or after eating?

Many thanks.

• Gotu Kola is useful. Its 5 – 10 leaves, made into chutney, can be used daily. It can be consumed along with homeopathy medicines.

• Dr. You mentioned above when someone asked Gotkola for ulcers that take morning and evening 10 mins before meals .
        My question if someone have ulcers and gastrist can they take capsule of Aswagandha after or before meals or Aswagandha capsule should avoided and only use Gotokola?.
        Also what is more helpful with adrenal fatigue Gotkola or Aswagnadha ( helps with fatigue durning the day and give sleep at night )

• Hi, some patients with ulcers can tolerate Ashwagandha and some cannot. It depends from person to person.
          Ashwagandha is more useful than Gotu Kola, in fatigue.

• It grows easily in moist land. I do not know much about manure, layering etc. If anyone has information on this, please feel to reply.

25. I have a hypertrphic scar on my Palm due to an accident. And im a second year bams student. im taking kanchnara guggul and kaishore guggul and applying silicone gel (vaniza) no results as of now. Can u tell me about gotu kola (centella asiatica) its part use extract for local application. I have the plant. Shall i use the stem extract or the root extract. Is it effective? Any other treatment or herbs for hypertrophic scar (body tendency of scars and slow healing) pls help

26. What is differnce between centella aciatica& bacopa monnirea.and drug action of gotu cola,brhammi,manduka parni,&saraswathi,which one is useful in peronies disease & keloid.

• Both are quite similar in action. I have not come across their usage in the said two diseases.

27. Hello Doctor,

Can we prepare tea mixing Mandukparni and Chamomile for relief from anxiety and stress.

28. Hello Doctor, I want to try this Gotu Kola Vegetable but I don’t know what do you call it here in Mumbai as I tried many places but nobody knows about it. Can you tell me the Name people know about it in Mumbai …. Many Thanks …. Yousuf Khan

29. hello doctor,
    i have just been dignosed with varicose veins , though it is just the starting and I have swelling on my right ankle and came to know that gotukala helps in the same. I ad proceured its powder from online site, kindly advise how take its dosage or if you can refer any other treatement. My age is 41 and i suffer from high B.P for which i take Amlopress AT regularly.

30. Hello Doctor
    I am having social anxiety,i used to take ashwagandha 200 mg powder everyday ,but it made me very aggressive and sleepy.So i tried gotu kola 350mg powder per day.It increased my intelligence very much but after 1 week gave racing thoughts.Please suggest a long term solution.Whenever i stop this herbs i lose all benefits.

31. Hi Dr!
    I really appreciate your website and all your response to interested people about gotu kola. I wish to give gotu kola to my kids: 10 years and 16 years. I have grown gotu kola only by pots since we dont have land to plant, so it is really not that much.

My concern therefore are, if i will give them raw gotu kola leaves with stem, How much leaves should I give them? Is it ok to mixed them with honey? What considerable days would gotu kola takes effect on their mental performance? Like if they were to take exams?

Thanks!

32. Dear Dr, in a western university website, it says taking gotu kola for long term can be harmful to liver and people with liver disease should not take. What is ayurvedic view on this?

33. At the end of your excellent article on Bacopa, you said taking it is contraindicated in the case of a low heart rate (bradycardia). Is that also true for gotu kola? I missed reading anything about contraindications for this herb (sorry if I overlooked it somehow).

34. I have been reading that Gotu Kola can be used to help interstitial cystitis, what would be the dose & length of time to use fresh leaves for?

35. Sir, my mother has got a small area of pigmented veins over her legs.She also feels pain after long standing.Is this beginning of varicose veins?.If so,will Gotu kola be effective?

36. Sir, I have developed little white color wound marks (like silver stretch marks) all over my skin due to a mental crisis after my divorce where I developed insomnia, stress, panic attacks and indigestion issues. Can gotu kola help heal the mind and the skin? Do you recommend anything else?

37. Can gotu kola aggravate vata in general? Also, is gotu kola drying or more moisturizing for the tissues? I see conflicting info. on various websites and from different herbalists.