By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Pittala Yoni Vyapad is a gynaecological disorder caused by vitiated Pitta. It is also called Pittaja Yoni Vyapad and Piaittiki Yoni Vyapad.
Causes, Sanskrit verse
Pittaja Yoni Vyapad – Causes and Symptoms of Gynaecological Disorder caused by Vitiated Pitta Read – Pitta Increase Symptoms – Pitta Vriddhi Lakshana
Specific causes of pittaja yoni vyapad
When a woman consumes foods and indulges regularly in activities which cause aggravation of pitta, the pitta gets aggravated. This aggravated pitta reaches the reproductive system of the woman including vagina, uterus etc and causes pittala yoni vyapad. Read – Lifestyle, Food And Factors That Cause Pitta Dosha Increase
Symptoms of Pittaja Yoni Vyapath –
Local symptoms related to reproductive system, mainly vagina and uterus
- Daha – Burning sensation
- Paka – suppuration
- Ushnata – raised heat in the reproductive organs
- Osha – heating like pain (Dalhana)
- Chosha – sucking / burning like pain (Dalhana)
Generalised symptoms pertaining to whole body caused by vitiated pitta
- Jwara – fever
- Ushnata – raise in body temperature due to increased pitta
Nature of Menstrual Bleeding
In Pittaj Yoni Vyapad, the menstrual blood will have the below mentioned features –
- Neela peeta, asita artava – menstrual blood appears blue, yellow or black in colour
- Bhrusha / bhuri – excess quantity
- Ushna – menstrual blood is hot in nature and on touch
- Kunapa srava – smells like a dead body
- Puti gandha – foul smelling (Vagbhata)
Chakrapani, the commentator of Charaka Samhita has explained that this type of bleeding from the vagina as occurs in pittaja yoni vyapad may occur even during inter-menstrual period. He also tells that this disorder resembles another pathological condition i.e. bleeding disorder caused by vitiated pitta i.e. pittaj asrgdhara i.e. excessive bleeding due to aggravated pitta. Read – Upadhatu Of Rasa Dhatu – Stanya, Arthava: Sub Tissues Of Rasa
Analytical view of Pittaj Yoni Vyapath
From the modern perspective pittaja yoni vyapat can be considered to be one or more of the below mentioned conditions –
Pyogenic infection – Pyogenic infections of the reproductive system can cause inflammatory condition. The infection and inflammation may have local and systemic impact wherein certain symptoms may be evident at both local (reproductive system) and physical levels and certain symptoms may be limited to the reproductive organs i.e. vagina and uterus. Burning sensation, fever, suppuration etc are the clinical features of acute inflammation caused by pyogenic infection. Read – Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: Causes, Symptoms, Pathogenesis, Diagnosis
Menometrorrhagia and suppuration in reproductive system – Inflammation may cause hyperemia. This may subsequently produce menstrual irregularities (as explained by Charaka), or menometrorrhagia along with suppuration. This will eventually cause foul smelling discharges from vagina.
Considering the description of all the authors, pittaja yoni vyapad can be compared to acute infection and inflammation of reproductive organs. Read – Heavy Periods, Menstrual Bleeding: Ayurvedic Treatment
Treatment of Pittaja Yoni Vyapad
- Local irrigation, anointment, massages and tampons prepared with herbs having cooling and pitta pacifying properties.
- Pitta mitigating ghee for oral use.
- Enema with milk processed with sweet herbs or jivaniya herbs
- Local application of panchavalkala paste
- Use of phalaghrita
Sanskrit verse of treatment
Sheetala aushadha upachara – coolant remedies in pittaja yoni vyapad
Milk, water, oil, ghee and decoction prepared with coolant medicines i.e. herbs having cold potency shall be used for external and internal use in vaginal and uterine disorders caused by vitiated pitta.
Raktapitta remedies in treating vaginal disorders caused by vitiated pitta
Blood and pitta are interrelated, so are their pathologies. The treatment of vitiated blood and pitta are almost same. Sushruta has mentioned the blood as forth dosha. Apart from that the blood and pitta have an inseparable relationship of residence and resident wherein pitta is located in the blood. Read – Raktapitta Causes, Premonitory Symptoms, Symptoms, Pathogenesis Raktapitta is a group of hemorrhagic disorders wherein there is simultaneous aggravation of blood and pitta and also mutual contamination. Medicines and methods which are beneficial in treating raktapitta are beneficial in treating pittaja yoni vyapad. Therefore, the medicines, formulations and external treatments as described in the context of raktapitta shall be skilfully chosen and implemented to treat the vaginal and uterine disorders caused due to increased pitta. Read – Treatment Principles Of Raktapitta – Bleeding Disorders
Snehapana – oral medicated fats in pittaja vaginal disorders
1. Ghrita / Pittahara Ghritas – plain ghee or ghee processed with pitta mitigating herbs – Plain ghee i.e not processed with medicines or that treated with medicinal herbs is always the best remedy for vitiated pitta. In case of vaginal and uterine disorders caused by vitiated pitta too the same principle works best. For oleation, either only ghee or ghee medicated with herbs capable of mitigating pitta should be used. Read – How To Consume Ghee Based on Tridosha Imbalance?
2. Jivaniyagana Siddha Ghrita – medicinal ghee prepared with jivaniya group of herbs for oral consumption – The juice extracted from jivaniya group of herbs should be mixed with equal quantity of ghee extracted directly from milk and processed. Oral use of this ghee cures all types of pitta predominant vaginal / uterine disorders and also improves fertility.
Arunadatta, the commentator of Ashtanga Hridaya opines that the milk or ghee treated with jivaniya group of herbs should be used as remedy in pittaja vaginal disorders.
3. Oral use of Phalaghrita – Phalaghruta / laghuphalaghrta used as an effective remedy in the form of oral consumption. Read – Gynecological Disorders Causes, Types As Per Ayurveda
Vasti Chikitsa – Effective enemas to treat pittaja yoni vyapad
1. Madhuradigana Basti – medicinal enema prepared with sweet tasting herbs – Enema with milk treated with either madhura group of herbs or licorice alone should be administered through uterine route. This will heal the inflammation and also would ward off the infection.
Local treatments to heal vagina and uterus in pittaja yoni vyapat
- Seka – local irrigation of vagina and uterus
- Lepa – anointment,
- Abhyanga – massages and
- Pichu dharana – tampons
Local application of paste of panchavalkala – should be done for local healing of vagina and uterus. This works as antiseptic, anti-microbial, antibiotic and wound healing.