Ayurvedic massage therapy is an effective method of healing. Massage therapy is useful –
- to strengthen muscles, bones and joints
- to relieve stress
- to relax mind and body.
While these things are true, it is also important to know when not to go for massage, when not to massage a particular part of the body. Here are a few massage tips in this regard –
Avoid massage therapy during these instances –
1. During fever – During fever, or during an infection, according to Ayurvedic principles, there will be a disturbance in Agni (digestive power) and body will not be in a position to take a massage. It disrupts the healing process. So it is better not to go for massage.
2. During inflammation / swelling blunt injuries – During inflammation and due to blunt injuries, it is best to avoid oil massage. It is okay to apply Ayurvedic oils (taila). But massage might aggravate the pain.
3. During abdominal pain: In case of a pain that is arising due to some problem in internal organs like gastric complaints, liver complaints etc, it is not good to go for a massage without a doctor’s advice.
4. During wound and abscess – Oil massage may cause an increase in pain. If the oil is not sterile, then it may add to the infection of the wound and healing may be delayed.
5. During fracture – Massage during fracture may cause displacement of the fractured bone, leading to complications.
6. During pregnancy – Massage during pregnancy is fine. But to be on the safer side, it is better to undergo massage after taking an expert opinion. Gentle oil massage is better than regular massage therapy.
7. During a feeling of urgency – If your mind is pre-occupied about a pending work, which is very urgent, better to avoid massage at that time. Set your mind free and then go for massage to enjoy maximum benefits.
Related article Does massage work?
8 thoughts on “Ayurvedic Massage Tips: When Not To Go For Massage”
Thanks for the article.
I have two questions:
1) Is it ok to massage during menstruation if possible? If not massage, is it ok to apply oil without massage before shower?
2) Is it ok to massage, then go for a walk and then shower?
Hi, thanks for the question.
It is very fine to do massage during menstruation. – Coconut oil based oils or just the coconut oil would be more useful.
It is ok to do massage, then go for a walk and then shower. But just consider that during periods, minimal physical activities are recommended and hence, excessive walking is not good. Take care of the feet. The massage oil make may them slippery during walking.
Thanks Dr. Hebbar!
Btw, love all your articles <3
Welcome! and thanks. 🙂
Doctor, every article of yours is written so thoroughly. Thanks for all this ancient wisdom that you give us.
Is massage okay to give someone who has varicose veins? If not please provide the reason too.
Gentle massage, that too for a very short period of 1-2 minutes is fine. Hard massage over the varicose veins may damage them, in stead of strengthening them.
Instead of massaging is it ok to just put oil on body for the purpose of dry skin, leave for 30 mins and then wash it away. Without massage will the oil penetrate and help my dry skin.
Just applying it is also fine.