There are many diseases explained in Ayurveda, the causes and symptoms of which match exactly with the current day diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis is one such example. Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease mainly affecting joints. Most of the causes and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis explained matches with a disease explained in Ayurveda books.
Table of Contents
What is rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disease, affecting mainly joints having a covering, called synovial joints. Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms include inflammation in the joints, excess synovial fluid, and the development of a flap in the synovium. It often leads to the destruction of cartilage (cushioning) between the joints. Rheumatoid arthritis can also manifest in other parts of the body such as lungs, covering sheet of the heart, covering sheet of lungs, etc. In some cases, it also leads to nodule development underneath the skin.
Rheumatoid Arthritis causes
Rheumatoid arthritis causes are not known. But immunity plays a major role in its manifestation. There is a condition called as auto immunity. When immune cells of the body, (which are supposed to protect the body cells and fight against foreign invading bacteria virus etc), start killing our own body cells, rheumatoid arthritis sets in. It is like our soldiers fighting against our own people.
According to Ayurveda, the disease is known by the name of Amavata. The main cause for Amavata is altered state of digestion and metabolism caused by unhealthy food habits when there is diminished digestive power, doing exercise soon after oily food intake, etc.
Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms
In the joints:
The inflammation of synovial membrane (covering) of joints .
It usually affects multiple joints.
Stiffness in the joints, especially in the early morning hours is a characteristic feature. The other features in the joints are swelling, pain and warmth, which eventually leads to loss of function and structural deformity of joints. Once the disease progresses, there will be erosion and destruction of the joint surface, leading to deformity.
In some patients, the rheumatoid disease may lead to fibrosis changes in lungs and heart, inflammation in kidneys etc.
Most of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis match with the symptoms explained in Ayurveda.
Symptoms according to Ayurveda
- Body ache, lethargy, heaviness
- stiffness in knees, back, finger and toe joints. Joints make crackling sounds, joint pain with swelling.
- The pain in the joints is similar to sting bite by scorpion!!
- Constipation, indigestion, fullness of abdomen,
- lack of sleep, altered sleep patterns, etc.
- Apart from these symptoms, there will be specific symptoms related to the dominance of Dosha.
- Based on disease manifestation in heart and other organs, specific symptoms like stiffness in heart etc are mentioned.
Ayurvedic treatment principles
Ayurvedic treatment of rheumatoid Arthritis includes
- Correction of digestion and metabolism,
- Treatment for joints with Panchakarma therapy and
- Ayurvedic medicines.
Importance of Diet
Diet for rheumatoid arthritis is very important in its treatment. Rheumatoid arthritis is a complex and chronic disease, involving many systems. In Ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, diet advice is as important as Panchakarma therapy and Ayurvedic medicines. Since Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disease (long-standing), the dietary restrictions are to be observed for a long period of time as well.
Rheumatoid arthritis diet plan helps to
- Avoid worsening of joint pain, stiffness and swelling
- Avoid worsening of gastro – intestinal health.
- Avoid ‘Ama’ formation – a state of impaired digestion and metabolism, which is the main cause for Rheumatoid arthritis, according to Ayurveda.
- Avoid imbalance of Kapha and Vata, which in turn worsen stiffening, pain and inflammation.
Recommended foods for Rheumatoid Arthritis
In Ayurvedic treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, diet plays an important role in improving the joint health and to keep control on swelling and pain. Since Ayurveda believes that the root cause of rheumatoid arthritis lies in impaired digestion and metabolism, the rheumatoid arthritis diet is also targeted to improve the same.
Rheumatoid arthritis Ayurvedic diet:
Ayurveda advises the following food items to be included in rheumatoid arthritis.
Garlic: Recent study states that the micro nutrients of garlic helps in preventing arthritic changes of bones.
Two garlic pearls with 2 ounces of buttermilk is an excellent daily drink and home remedy for rheumatoid arthritis.
Ginger, long pepper and pepper – These three help to correct digestion and metabolism, hence recommended for daily usage in rheumatoid arthritis patients.
Barley, horse gram: Both these are very easy to adopt in diet.
Drum stick tree: fruit and leaves, being rich in calcium & vitamin C, is highly recommended in Rheumatoid arthritis.
Bitter gourd (Bitter melon): It improves digestion, is very low in calories and a good source of Vitamin B1, 2 & 3. It is a good detoxifying herb and is traditionally indicated in the diet for rheumatoid arthritis.
Hot water: Hot water drinking is beneficial to improve digestion. Regular drinking of hot water helps to bring lightness to the joints and improves flexibility in Rheumatoid arthritis.
Foods and habits to avoid
Anything that is heavy to digest, that takes long time to digest, is to be avoided.
Ayurveda enlists the following food to avoid in Rheumatoid arthritis –
1. Curds: Curds are not ideal to take in Rheumatoid arthritis as it affects stomach health. Clarification: Curds does not affect stomach health as such. But in rheumatoid arthritis, curd is best avoided.
2. Fishes – are to be avoided. But a few research articles show that fish oil, rich in omega 3 fatty acids Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) can reduce stiffness, pain and inflammation.
3. A green leafy vegetable called Indian spinach [Basella rubra (Basale soppu in Kannada)] is to be avoided
4. Contaminated water, cold water, frozen food stuff – causes increase in Vata and Kapha leading to increase in pain and stiffness.
5. Taking contrast foods such as – taking milk with fish, etc.
6. Black gram
7. Avoiding natural urges – causes increase in Vata. Click on the phrase to understand this concept. It causes increase in vata, which is not good in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
8. Skipping night sleep – It causes utter Vata imbalance, which is highly unrecommended in RA.
9. High fat meat, mutton etc.
10. Food that are heavy to digest, deep-fried stuff, junk foods, aerated drinks are a strict no no.
11. Oil massage – Ayurveda is not all about pouring oils and rubbing on body. In Rheumatoid arthritis, oil massage is not advised, generally.
This article is meant only for the purpose of information and should not be treated as substitute for advises by healthcare professional.
- There are many diseases explained in Ayurveda, the causes and symptoms of which match exactly with the current day diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis is one such example.
- Rheumatoid arthritis mainly affects joints. Stiffness, pain and swelling are the main symptoms.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto immune disease.
- There are different treatment options for rheumatoid arthritis as per Ayurveda.