Buttermilk is one of the widely used food item. There are many variants of buttermilk with different health benefits. Here are the details about how to make buttermilk from milk.
Interesting things about buttermilk :
- It is very easy to make at home.
- If curds is ready, you can make it within five minutes.
- It is said in Ayurveda – “Nectar is for Gods and Goddesses, buttermilk is for human beings.”
How to make buttermilk from milk:
- First you need to prepare curds from milk. Click to read How to make curds
- Take 400 ml of curds. Add 100 ml of water to it. Churn the curds just for one to two minutes. You can churn it in a bottle / jar / mixer.
- This 100:25 = Curds : Water ratio buttermilk is the most widely used type of buttermilk. There are a few other types of butter milk.
Types of buttermilk
There are five types of making buttermilk.
Full cream buttermilk: Curds is prepared from milk with cream. Such curd is churned without adding any water.
No cream buttermilk: Curds is prepared from milk devoid of cream. Such curd is churned without adding any water.
Buttermilk: Prepared from the above-mentioned method.
Half water buttermilk: Take 100 ml curds add 50 ml of water and churn it to get half water buttermilk.
No fat buttermilk: Churn curds till it becomes butter. Remove butter. The remaining watery part is no fat buttermilk. It is also commonly used as buttermilk.
Each of these can be used interchangeably as buttermilk substitute to one another.
Click to read buttermilk benefits of each of these types.
Click to read how buttermilk is a better substitute to eating curd at night.
Buttermilk home remedy for hemorrhoids