Ayurveda adopts a comprehensive approach to treat obesity. Ayurveda explains about a combination of Panchakarma treatments, few simple Ayurvedic medicines, home remedies, and a very easy to follow lifestyle adjustments to lose weight quickly.
Obesity in Ayurveda
Understanding obesity in Ayurvedic terms:
There are seven body tissues. –
Rasa Dhatu – nutritive part of the digested food
Rakta Dhatu – blood
Mamsa Dhatu – muscle
Meda Dhatu – fat
Asthi Dhatu – bone
Majja Dhatu – bone marrow
Shukra Dhatu – reproductive system, semen, sperm and ovum.
As per Ayurveda, the food nourishes Rasa dhatu. and Rasa, in turn, nourishes Rakta (blood), which nourishes muscle and so on. Or, in other terms, a part of the prior Dhatu gets converted into the next Dhatu.
In Obesity, there is a problem at the level of Meda (fat), nourishing Asthi (bone). This nutrition shift is hampered, because of which more and more of fat tissue gets produced, but it is not being converted further into Asthi (bone), Majja (bone marrow) and Shukra (reproductive system). There is a block in the transition of nutrition from Meda to Asthi.
Another thing that happens in obesity is the excess fat causes an increase in digestive fire. So, the person has a very good appetite, he eats more, the digestion process takes places till the level of Medo dhatu (fat) but it is hampered there, so, more and more fat gets produced, without nourishing further Dhatus hence person keeps on putting on weight.
The last contributing factor in obesity is impaired Vata Dosha. Just as air / wind causes an increase of fire, Vata – resides in the stomach and maintains digestive fire (Agni). In obesity, there is an increase of Vata Dosha, which further causes an increase of digestive strength.
The fat tissue and Kapha Dosha are inter-connected. Increase of fat tissue implies there is an increase of Kapha Dosha.
Ayurveda explains the pathology of obesity as –
1. Increase of Agni – digestive strength, leading to an increase of appetite and food intake.
2. Hampered conversion of Medo dhatu to Asthi dhatu, leading to increased production of Medo Dhatu.
3. Imbalance / Vitiation of Vata Dosha – leading to increased digestive strength
4. Increase of Kapha Dosha, which is caused by excess sweets, fried food, excess rest etc.
Why some obese people fail to lose weight despite exercise and diet control?
In many obese people, when they require energy, their energy is derived from the glycogen (stored glucose) in muscles rather than burning fat to get energy. This makes the fat to remain in the tissues.
So, how to make them burn the fat to create energy in them? Reduce the carbohydrate and sugar intake.
Yoga and Pranayama for stress.
Powder Massage – Udvartana – helps to stimulate, activate and mobilize fat tissues
Ayurvedic panchakarma procedures like Vamana – Useful to expel the morbid fat out of the body, in the form of imbalanced Kapha.
Herbs like Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Triphala, Guggulu, Lodhra, Turmeric, Amla, Shilajit
Spicy medicine such as Trikatu – Ginger, black pepper and long pepper – That help to stimulate the fat metabolism.
Medicines such as Navaka Guggulu, Ayaskrity etc
Causes for obesity
Excess intake of food –If you are continuously taking high amounts of food, it leads to increase of Agni – digestive fire because, the body needs a way to digest increased food quantity, but because there is a blockage in Medo dhatu, more and more fat tissue is produced, leading to weight gain.
Excess intake of heavy to digest, sweet foods, Coolant and oily foods – Because there is increased digestive strength, if you are taking light-to-digest food, it will be digested fast and you start feeling hungry again. Hence, the person tends to eat heavy-to-digest foods and sweet foods, fried foods and coolants, which directly increase fat tissue.
Lack of physical exercise, day sleeping: Physical exercise is a way to allow the conversion of fat into bone tissue (Medo dhatu – Asthi Dhatu). Lack of exercise and lethargic behavior like day sleeping leads to an increase in fat tissue.
Lack of mental stress, increased happiness:
Worrying is one of the best way to burn calories. If you are happy and stress-free, you tend to eat more and rest more.
Heredity – some people have it in their genes.
Vata and Kapha Dosha balance: All the food and diet activities that balance down Vata and Kapha Dosha should be taken up. Read more about how to balance Kapha Vata Dosha
A few ways to balance Kapha – Vata Dosha are –
Having a cup of water, mixed with honey, as the first step in the morning.
Increased consumption of barley, which helps to take care of digestion strength, yet, not contribute to body calories.
Avoiding foods that are hard to-digest and cold, sleeping at day time, etc.
Ayurvedic cure – Decoction enema with strong herbs that are hot in nature is administered. Decoction enema, also called as Kashaya basti is a type of Panchakarma treatment, which helps to balance Vata and also useful in the correction of fat tissue conversion into bone tissue (medo dhatu – asthi dhatu)
Dry Powder massage – Also called as Rooksha Udvartana – powder massage with herbs having dry quality – usually, ingredients like horse gram, jujube, Black gram, Devadaru, Rasna, etc are used for this purpose. The purpose of the powder massage is to burn down the fat deposited underneath the skin, especially in tummy, thighs and buttock areas.
Buttermilk, fermented with spices – fermented buttermilk acts as a catalyst to bring in the transformation of fat tissue.
Administration of honey – a teaspoon of honey along with a cup of water.
Specific herbs to treat obesity:
1. Vidanga (Embelia ribes Burm f.), Nagara (ginger), Yavaksara (Kshara prepared from Barley), Loha Bhasma with honey and powder of Yava – barley and Amla.
2. Intake of Guduchi (Tinspora cordifolia), Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Triphala (Haritaki (Terminalia chebula Linn.), Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica Roxb.) and Amalaka (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.) – Triphala and Guduchi are very useful to burn fat and to correct the fat – bone tissue transition.
3. Administration of honey along with decoction of Bilva panchamula (roots of Bael, Oroxylum indicum, Gmelina arborea, Stereospermum suaveolens and Clerodendrum phlomidis)
4. Shilajit (asphaltum)
5. Administration of the juice of Agnimantha (Clerodendrum phlomidis Linn. f.)
6. Alcoholic preparations that help to reduce fat, muscle and Kapha may be used as after-food-drinks. – Such as Ayaskriti, Lohasavam etc
Recommended diet and lifestyle
Here are a few Simple rules to lose weight quickly.
1. Regular exercise schedule – It can be as simple as walking, jogging, cycling etc. just for half an hour per day. Morning or evening. If you do it in the morning, you will feel less tired. You have to do it till you have few sweat droplets on forehead, chest and thighs. Click here to read more about Benefits of gym
2. Drink half a glass of water just before food, it will reduce the appetite a little bit. Do not drink more than half a glass of water.
3. Eating slowly, it decreases hunger. Eat till the time you still are feeling hungry.
4. Include Barley (Hordeum vulgare) in your diet. Make barley flour, add water and a pinch of salt, and make it a bolus. Then roll it into flat circle shaped cakes, (very thin) and heat it on a pan. This is called Chapati in India, usually made of Wheat, but to lose weight quickly, it can be made from barley and eaten. The taste will be the same, but it is more beneficial to lose weight quickly.
5. Avoid sweets, sweet tasting drinks and food articles, wherever you can. Tea, Coffee, cakes, bakery sweets, aerated drinks, colas, avoid these good-for-nothing things. If coffee and tea are a regular in your diet then, have them, but with very little sugar.
6. Replace curds with buttermilk.
7. If you really want sweets, eat fruits. Grapes, Apple, banana, whatever you wish to, but again in a limited quantity, not adding any sugar to it.
8. Avoid all types of oily food stuffs and junk foods.
9. Eat at regular time schedules. Try to fix a time-table and try fixing to that as much as you can.
10. Drink plenty of water through out the day. It helps in flushing out toxins.
11. Small meals at frequent intervals is better than big meals 2 or 3 times a day.
12. Drink a spoonful of honey and lemon juice, on empty stomach. Then drink a glass of warm water.
13. Keep a workbook with you and write down about the steps that you took to lose weight, on a weekly basis. Do this on every Sunday. Do not worry if you had not achieved any good milestone that week. But just keep on writing.
14. Get enough sleep – Lack of restful sleep lowers your energy throughout the day. You need good sleep so that you can extract maximum benefits out of your exercise / Yoga schedule.
When would you need weight loss supplements?
When you are at the risk of developing heart complications.
When you struggle with following the above rules, You may consider taking weight loss supplements.
Ayurveda says –
Vyayama nityo jeernaashee yavagodhuma bhojanaha |
Santarpana Krutaihi Doshaihi Sthoulyam muktwa vimuchyate ||
Daily regular exercise, eating only after the previous food has got completely digested, and regular intake of Barley and wheat in diet, are sure shot ways to curb obesity.
Wake up before 6 am to fight obesity
Oil massage for obesity
Question: Can Oil massage help in weight loss?
The purpose of oil massage is to boost the strength of muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints.
Hence, massage is essentially a nourishing therapy, because oil, with its heaviness and unctuousness qualities, is a nourishing agent. So, oil massage by itself cannot make you to lose weight.
For this reason, usually, herbal powder massage, called Udvartana is used in obesity treatment. Herbal massage powders such as Kola Kulathadi Churna being Rooksha – dry and Laghu – light, carry qualities opposite to those of obesity. So powder massage is useful for weight loss.
But oil massage can indirectly help in obesity management. Let me explain.
If you do massage regularly, your bones, muscles and joints will be very strong. If you take the advantage of this and do regular exercise, then you would lose weight. Hence indirectly oil massage is very helpful.
If you do oil massage regularly, the fat deposited in the abdomen, buttocks and such other areas will be mobilized. This will help in quickening fat loss, if you exercise.
Even in Panchakarma therapy, where the morbid matter and toxins are expelled out of the body, oil massage is done in the early stages. Here, oil massage helps to mobilize morbid matter from different organs to gastro intestinal tract, which are then expelled by Vamana – vomiting therapy or Virechana – purgation treatment.
So, in all these ways, oil massage is indirectly, but immensely helpful in losing weight.
Oils for obesity treatment:
Sesame oil with Salt – Master Charaka has explained sesame oil as Karshana – it helps person to lose fat tissue, upon internal and external use. But in obesity, you need a little more heat in the oil to burn the rigid fat deposits. Sesame oil itself is hot. But adding a teaspoon of sesame oil to a 200 ml of sesame oil and heating it on mild fire for a few minutes, makes the oil more fat burning. Read related: Sesame and Sesame Oil Benefits
Saindhavadi Taila – This oil contains rock salt, along with other heat producing, anti inflammatory herbs such as ginger, cumin, long pepper etc. It is primarily used on stiff joints to loosen up. But it also loosens the fat deposits and helps you to lose weight.
Mahanarayana taila – An all-season, all-purpose massage oil. Helps you to get rid of joint and muscle pains, shortens the recovery time after a joint injury and puts you back on your daily schedule of exercises.
Bala Ashwagandhadi taila – This is effective when you need extra strength in your muscles, bones and joints to accelerate your weight loss by dedicating more time in exercise. This oil is useful to improve the strength and bulk of muscles.
Keep in mind that after oil massage, some form of sweating treatment is necessary. Ayurveda recommends exercise after oil massage. Exercise itself makes you sweat. But you need to be careful about slippery hands and legs.
Having a hot water shower, steam therapy, sauna, hot water pack on the fat deposits, hot poultice etc are other options for sweating.
Classical home remedies for obesity – Medoroga :
- Triphala Kashaya with Honey
- Boiled and cooled water mixed with honey
- Hot gruel of rice taken regularly
- Guduchi Churna (powder of Tinospora cordifolia) + Musta Churna (Powder of Cyperus rotundus)
- Triphala churna
- Takrarishta (fermented medicated buttermilk)
Ayurvedic medicines used for the treatment of obesity:
Medohara Vidangadi Lauham