Varanadi Kashayam Uses, Dose, Ingredients, Side Effects

Varanadi kashayam is an Ayurvedic liquid herbal medicine used in the treatment of headache, obesity and low digestive strength. It is also known as Varunadi Kwath.

Indications

It is useful in the Ayurvedic treatment of obesity, indigestion, headaches, stomach gas bloating, headache, abscess and wounds.

Ayurveda practitioners also use this for the treatment of
Kapha type of headache with stiffness and heaviness of head, sinus headaches
Polycystic Ovarian Disorder (PCOS)
Migraine
Cysts, fibroids,
Hypothyroidism – mainly to control obesity

Doctors also use this for the treatment of
Bulky uterus
Painful periods

Dosage

Dose of Kashaya is 15-20 ml, once or twice a day, preferably 30 minutes before food.
Dose is 1 to 1.5 tablespoon.
If you buy the Kashayam directly from the market, then before taking this, it is better to add a tablespoon of water to it, mix and then take it.

Side effects

There are no known side effects with this product.
Overdosage may cause excessive urination. This product has a diuretic action.
Consult your doctor for its use during pregnancy and lactation.
Keep out of reach and sight of children.
Store in a cool dry place.

During pregnancy

This is best avoided during pregnancy. It is useful to shrink the cysts, tumours and fibroids. It is cleansing and detoxifying in nature, whereas in pregnancy, nourishment and growth are expected.
However, under select conditions, if your doctor prescribes this, it can be taken for a few weeks time. There is no absolute contra indication for short term usage.

Ingredients

Pootikaranja (Holoptelia integrifolia),
Jaya (Premna corymbosa),
Pathya (Terminalia chebula),
Bahalapallava (Moringa olifera / drum stick),
Darbha (Desmostachya bipinnata) and
Rujakara (Semicarpus anacardium).

Varuna sairyakayugma shataavaree dahana morata bilwa vishaanikaaha |
Dwibruhati dwikarnaja jayaadwayam  bahalapallava darbha rujaakaraaha ||
Varanadi kapham medo mandagnitwam niyacchati |
Aadhyavatam shirashoolam gulmam chaantaha savidhradim || – Ashtanga Hrudayam sutrasthana – 15/21-22

Method of preparation

Preparation method: All the herbal ingredients are kept immersed in water overnight, next day morning, added to 16 times of water and reduced to 1/8th or 1/4th quantity by mild to moderate heat, filtered and then consumed while it is warm.

It is also used as a natural herbal diuretic and natural oedema cures.

You feel difficult to consume Varanadi kashayam?
Switch over to Varanadi kashayam tablet – the dose is two tablets two times a day before food.

Manufacturers

Kerala Ayurveda, Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala, AVN
AVN also manufactures this product in Kashayam tablet form.
Nagarjuna – Varanaadi Kashaayam, Varanaadi Kashaayam Tablet

Can it be used in people with diabetes?
Yes. But an eye should be kept on the blood sugar level. Your doctor should help you in this regard. This product can reduce blood sugar levels.

It is sold in plastic bottles. Is it fine?
If the quality of the bottle material is very good, it should not be a problem, if stored for a short period of time.

Can this be taken without consulting a doctor?

Can one take non-vegetarian food while taking this medicine?
Yes, unless your practitioner has asked to avoid it.

Is there any Pathya (diet rules to be followed while taking this product?
No product specific diet is mentioned. If the practitioner has advised diet control based on disease, one has to follow that.

Is it normal to have gastric complaints and mild headache in the first week of its intake?
In the initial one week of Varanadi kashayam intake, you may have slight gastric problem and headache.
I hope it will go away once your body gets used to this.
I would suggest to continue it.

75 thoughts on “Varanadi Kashayam Uses, Dose, Ingredients, Side Effects”

1. Dear Doctor,Please guide that if we have to choose between varadi kashayam and varanadi kashayam to treat obesity what would bethe selection criteria as per ayurveda?. Dr Deepak Bhanot BAMS

• Dear Dr Prashanth,
      I personally am treating a couple of cases, who are undergoing dialysis.. the results have been encouraging.. the creatinine levels are gradually falling down and patient’s overall health parameters are on a good course now. So, I can not really assure that Ayurveda can cure renal failure. I suppose, it has to be decided on case to case basis.
      regards

2. Varanadi Kashayam is good for liver. But there are other better Ayurvedic medicines for liver care.

3. Hello Sir,
    One of the Doc prescribed “Prakruti’s Varunadi Kashaya” for kidney stone. This kashaya is over we got another bottol but not the same make. It’s Nagarjuna’s Varannadi Kashayam” This the same and how does this benifit.

• You have bought Varanadi Kashayam from two different companies. The first one was Prakruti remedies, and the second one was from Nagarjuna. This is fine. No problem. The herb – Varuna – crataeva nurvala is a potent diuretic. Means, it helps to flush the kidney and the bladder, by producing more urine. This helps to easy breakdown and expulsion of small stones present in the kidney or bladder. The other ingredient – Aerua lanata is also helpful in breaking down stones into small pieces, so as to assist in easy expulsion through urine.
      The supportive ingredients such as Darbha, Pathya, Bilwa (Bael) – act as anti inflammatory.
      Hence, for all these reasons, Varunadi Kashaya is also used in the treatment of renal stones by some Ayurvedic doctors.

4. This varanadi kashayam has helped me, this is a very very useful for many stomach related problems
    this is really good

5. sir.. can we use dis for obesity? can u pls inform me watz d time duration 4 controlling the obesity n d maximum weight can b reduced… waiting 4 ur reply thank u

• This can be used for the treatment of obesity, but for a complete analysis of cause and for a complete consultation, it is better to consult an Ayurvedic doctor directly.

6. I have a box of capsules Varanaadi Kashayam 2006 never opened. There is no expiration date. Have expired?
    Sincerely,
    simona

7. Dear Sir,

Does this medicine has any side effects, if taken in the long term. Typically how long should you take this

8. Hi Dr,
    Is Varandadi Kwatham and Varanadi Kashayam same?
    Varandadi Kwatham is for what treatment ?? Does it have any side effects.

Regards,

• It is rarely used by some doctors for sinusitis and cough out of experience. But it is not indicated for that purpose.

9. My stomach is blotted after taking the above mentioned tablets.. and i have a burning sensation. Please help. Thanx in advance

• Better to consult the doctor who prescribed it. Usually it does not have such side effect.

10. Is varnadi kashayam safe during pregnancy? Is it o.k. to consume this if we are trying to conceive?

• It is safe to take, while trying to conceive. But once after confirmation of conception, it is best to stop this medicine.

11. I am using Varanadi kashayam from past 3 months and reduce some weight.. After achieving my weight . If i stop using Varandi kashayam will i gain back weight again. Can we use varanadi kashayam life long so that we can maintain our weight.

• After using Varanadi for about 3 – 4 months, based on your doctor’s advice, it is better to stop it. I do NOT think it is a good idea to continue it further than that. If you stop Varanadi, you will not regain back the lost weight, provided you stick on to healthy eating habits, exercise and an active lifestyle.

• It might help to certain extent. But there are better Ayurvedic products for hearing loss.

12. One product may be used for different purposes.
    When two Ayurvedic products are used in combination, the doctor, with his experience will be knowing the cumulative benefits of the coupled products.
    Based on this, I am here, trying to explain the logic of using Ayaskriti with Varanadi,for obeisty.
    Ayaskriti is directly indicated in obesity.
    Varanadi is an excellent diuretic, and hence it will fight against water retention in the body, which again might be the cause for excess weight.
    Varanadi is also very commonly used in the treatment of obesity,because it balances Kapha Dosha.

This does not mean that anyone who is obese can take this combination.
    Both these two medicines should only be taken under strict medical supervision.

Read more about Ayaskriti here – http://ayurmedinfo.com/2011/06/23/ayaskriti-uses-dose-side-effects-and-ingredients/

• There are good Ayurvedic medicines to initiate healing of anal fistula. If oral medicines fail, then there is Ksharasutra procedure, which is highly effective. You really need to go to an Ayurvedic doctor for treatment.

13. Dear Dr, How does intake of varanadi kashayam effect on hypothyroid ? Does this medicine also stimulate thyroid harmone?
    Regards
    Mayi

14. sir,
    i got varanadi ghrutham and started having for two is it good for obesity or i need to get kyshyam also for reducing weight plz sugest me……
    regards, priya

15. Hello Dr.

I was suggested by my doctor to take varadi kashayam raw without any dilution. Just want a second option.

Thanks,

• Hi, If you are preparing the kashaya at your home, by using raw materials, then it is fine to take it without dilution.
      If you are buying any branded Kashayam from a company (manufacturer), then it needs to be diluted.

• Hi, as per my knowledge and experience, it does not intefere with oral contraceptives.
      However, it is best to maintain a gap of minimum half an hour between Ayurvedic and allopathic medicine intake.

16. Thanks. I guess it needs to be packaged with other medicines and also on diet control and exercise.

17. You had provided me details of online email consultation. I plan to go ahead with it. I am generally looking for a weight loss guidance through Ayurveda (10-12 kGS) .Before making the payment I wanted to know if you would be able to help me with this regard.

• Since weight loss is not merely achieved by medicines, since diet and lifestyle restrictions are also required, I can not promise entirely.
      But I can try my best. There are many who have shed a few kilograms with my treatment.

18. what is the difference between varanadi kwatham and varanadi kashayam..?how long we take varanadi kwatham for weight lose

19. what is the difference between varanadi -kwatham and varanadi kashayam.?my doctor prescribed varanadi kwatham for weigh lose.how long to take varanadi kwatham for weight reduction?

20. sir,
    My ayurvedic doctor has prescribed me kalyana goolam,varanadi kashayam,slimit tablets for obesity.I wanted to know what are the uses of each of these medicines.?How much weight will i lose using this?

21. My ayurvedic doctor advised me to avoid protien rich food for weight loss.Can you please mention the food i have to avoid?I am a vegetarian.

• You should not avoid protein foods altogether. Taking them in moderate quantities is needed for weight loss. In stead, avoid high carbohydrates present in rice and sugar.

22. Dr. my name is Adarsh ! i want to know whether varadi is good for hyperthyroidism .i know its a good medicine for obesity .

23. sir my brother has fistula problem and he has been advised to take this varnadi kashayam for its treatment..sir does this work for the same…

24. namaste ji….!!!
    M Aruna from delhi. Having PCOS/PCOD problem & overwieght. M tryin to concieve. My doc has precribed me to take varunadhi kashaya & with that m taking sustean 100mg. how it helps me….?

• It helps to reduce weight and to relieve water retention. It also helps in reducing the cyst size to some extent.

25. M handicap not able to do excise,walk n al but wanna reduce my weight plz tl me wt to do ….? is ter any medcn for tis…?

26. sir,is this medicine varanaadi kashyam used to treat pcod??poly cystic ovarian disease??actually iam using kumarayasvam and rajahpravarathanivati for pcod…is it helpful