Terminalia arjuna Benefits, How To Use, Research, Side Effects

Can you imagine an herb which is anti oxidant, reduces cholesterol, reduces BP and useful in diabetes, all at the same time? – Terminalia arjuna it is.
Botanical Name-Terminalia arjuna (Roxb) W&A
Family- COMBRETACEAE

Vernacular names

Names in different languages:
English Name- Arjun Tree, Arjunolic Myrobalan
Hindi & Bengali Name-Arjun –  अर्जुन
Manipuri name – Maiyokpha – মাঈযোকফা
Telugu Name – Tella Maddi
Marathi- Sadaru,
Gujarati Name – Sadado
Tamil Name -Poomarudhu, Neermarudhu / Belma/Marudam patti / Marutu – மருது
Malayalam name – Adamboe, Chola venmaruthu, Poomaruthu, Manimaruthu, Neermaruthu
Kannada Name – Neer matti, Holemaththi, Holedaasaala

Arjuna bark and dried fruit

Sanskrit synonyms

Dhavala – the external layer of bark is white in colour
Indradru – it is a big tree
Nadisarja – Usually found in the river banks
Phalguna, Kakubha, Virarksha, Partha, Dhoorta Bhuruha, Shvetavaaha, Nadi Sarja, Dhananjaya, Veerantaka, Kireeti, Pandava, Veeravruksha

Classical categorisation

Charaka-
Udarda prashamana – group of herbs that are used in allergic skin conditions and ring worm infestation,
Kashaya Skandha – astringent tasting group of herbs
Susruta- Nyagrodhadi, Salasaradi
Vagbhata- Viratarvadi, salasaradi

Terminala arjuna bark and fruit

Varieties

There are two types with similar effects.
Arjuna – Terminalia arjuna – white variety
Kakubha – Terminalia alata (Terminalia tomentosa) – black variety

Terminalia arjuna being taken as the source of Arjuna. But some take T.panniculata & even T.tomentosa as Arjuna.

Even Sterculia urens is considered as Arjuna in Rajasthan & in parts of Pakistan.
K.C.Chunekar ji in the commentary of Bhavaprakasha Nighantu states that some Physicians in India consider L. flos-reginae to be the source of ARJUNA, Inspite of the fact that the common source of ARJUNA being Terminalia arjuna, Combretaceae.

Terminalia arjuna leaves

Distribution

Common on the river banks, found almost throughout India.

Major chemical constituents

Terminalia  arjuna- Arachidic stearate, cerasidin, cerasidin, Arjunic Acid, tannins, Arjunone, Arjunetin, Arjunglucosisdes, I & II; Arjunoside I, II&IV; Arjunolic acid & etc.
Bark:  calcium and magnesium salts, flavonoids.
Terminalia alata- Gum, Arjunic, & Arjunolic acids, Arjunetin, Betulinic and ellagic acid, tannins etc.
(Reference: Illustrated Dravyaguna VIjnana, Vol. II, by Dr JLN Shastry)

Medicinal properties

Terminalia arjuna medicinal properties
Rasa (taste) – Kashaya (astringent)
Guna (qualities) – Rooksha (dryness), Laghu (lightness)
Vipaka- Katu – Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion.
Veerya – Sheeta – cold potency
Prabhava – special effect – Hrudya – cardiac tonic
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Kapha Pitta Dosha.

Part used, dosage

Part used-bark
Dosage- Powder 3-6 g; water decoction 50-100 ml, in divided dose per day.

Benefits

Terminalia arjuna benefits:
Because of its Kashaya rasa – astringent taste, it acts as Stambhana, useful in bleeding disorders, it heals fracture and wounds quickly.
Because of its astringent and styptic properties, it is also used in pus in urine, UTI and dysentery.
PittaKapha Vrana – useful to relieve ulcers and wounds due to Pitta and Kapha imbalance
Medohara – reduces fat and cholesterol levels
Mehahara – useful in urinary tract disorders and diabetes
Hrudroga – useful in cardiac disorder
Bhagna – quickly heals fracture
Kshata – Useful in chest injuries
Kshayahara – Useful in chronic respiratory disorders, tuberculosis
Shramahara – Relieves tiredness, fatigue
Trushnahara – Relieves thirst
Asrajit – Useful in bleeding disorders

Because of its astringent properties, it is used as ingredient in tooth powders. It helps to treat bleeding gums

For heart, cholesterol

Terminalia arjuna for heart, cholesterol and cardiovascular health –
Arjuna decreases LDL levels, and is also an excellent anti oxidant. ( Study on anti oxidant and hypocholesterolaemic activity). Hence, useful in high cholesterol.
Arjun is a cardiac tonic. It strengthens heart, useful in angina and high blood pressure. The bark is rich in high in Co­enzyme Q­10, which reduces BP.

Research

Cardio-depressant activity
Use in chronic stable angina
Anti bacterial and antifungal activity

Side effects

Terminalia arjuna Side effects:
It is safe to use in children and during lactation. Consult your doctor for advise to use in pregnancy.

Interaction with medicines, supplements

Can this be used while taking Homeopathic medicine?
Yes. This product does not react with homeopathic medicine.

Can this medicine be continued while taking supplements like multivitamin tablets, Omega 3 fatty acids etc?
Yes. Generally, this product goes well with most of the dietary supplements. However, if you are taking more than one product per day, please consult your doctor for an opinion.

With western medicines
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are taking this product along with other western (allopathic / modern) medicines. Some Ayurvedic herbs can interact with modern medicine.
If both Ayurvedic and allopathic medicines are advised together, then it is best to take Allopathic medicine first, wait for 30 minutes and then take the Ayurvedic medicine.

Ayurvedic home remedies

Home remedy using Arjuna –
Bark of Arjuna is processed with milk to prepare a heart tonic. It is also beneficial in healing fractures quickly. Learn more about Arjuna milk remedy

How to consume?

How to consume Terminalia arjuna?
Arjun Ki Chaal – Bark
Its bark powder, made into Kashayam (water decoction) and consumed in a dose of 50 ml, once or twice a day, before food. A tablespoon of bark powder is added to 2 cups of water, boiled and reduced to half a cup, filtered and consumed when hot.
It can be consumed in the form of milk remedy, as explained above.
Its extracts in the form of capsule is available in the market. With doctor’s advise, it is usually administered in a dose of 1 capsule once or twice a day, based on BP and sugar levels.

Ayurvedic medicines

Ayurvedic medicines with Arjuna ingredient –
Arjunarisht –
a cardiac tonic, useful in the treatment of chest injury, weakness, feeling tired all the time, chronic respiratory diseases, cough, throat related diseases.
Prabhakar Vati – used in cardiac disorders
Ayaskritia fermented preparation, used in anaemia, weight loss therapy, skin diseases etc.
Pushyanuga Churna – used in menorrhagia, diarrhoea etc

77 thoughts on “Terminalia arjuna Benefits, How To Use, Research, Side Effects”

1. Excellent article. At the end a himalaya product “Arjuna” is exhibited. Does this contain the ingredient mentioned in your article and is it qualitatively good ?

2. Because it can lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels, people on medication for BP and diabetes need to take precaution to avoid over-dosing. There are no other downsides with this wonder herb.
    If someone is not diabetic or hypertensive, then he can take Arjuna for a short period of one month.

3. WHAT is NISHA KATAKADI KASHYAM ? where isit available? When One Medicine is good for DIABETES and BP both, cannot I take ARJUNA (HIMALAYA). I want your guidence. I am 81. and am dependent on allopathic medicines. Still both BP and Diabetes are not within limits. Please help.

4. very informative and useful article. Being an indian, we must proud that nature has given all sort of medicine for all diseases in Indian sub continent. Even though we are looking towards west, Actually, a mafia has encouraged the allopathic way of treatment for their own benefits and neglected the indian herbs. Now it is the responsibility of Government to encourage/introduce officially these type of treatments like Yoga. Jai Hind

5. My mother is a diabetic & she’s also having hypothyroidism, she’s on siddha medication for 1 month. Is arjuna good for her or is there any other medicine for this…

6. Helo doc, v hav got sum arjuna bark and v Thot to take that jus lik pathimukham water. Is dt fine? Say a lil of de bark in a pot of water everyday! Is dt advisable on a daily basis? Pls advise.

7. Thank you very much for very info stove article. I am very fond of Ayurvedic treatment . I wish there will hospitals and research centres in every town and village as people will be benefitted with natural treatment.

8. Sir, Please do avoid over the counter medication. As it is blood pressure frequent monitoring is needed. Do consult a ayurvedic physician and then take the medication.

• Dr Dipti, In the research section above, if you click on each of the topics, it will open up the research papers.

9. Is Arjuna good for arrhythmia and why in some other websites (like WebMd) state that it can only be used up to 3 months ?

• There are no side effects with that. BP and pulse rate need to be monitored regularly. That is the only precaution required for long term usage of Arjuna.

10. hi sir, my name is srikanth. i am from andhrapradesh. i have 230 arjuna trees in my land. we have planted 20 years back. i want to sell all these trees. but i don’t know the buyers. please let me know if you have any information. Email – [email protected]

• Hi, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly. Probably, Arjuna in the form of tablet / capsule is more suited for you.

11. hi,i am collect bark from trunk and also from branch,is it ok? then sun dry them and make powder with grinder.and taking half tea spoon of powder with cream of milk.but sometimes i feel digestion problem.i have no hypertension or diabetes but have palpitation. please clarify me if needed. thank you.

• Your collection method looks fine. Just boil the dried bark pieces (1 tablespoon) in a cup of milk, filter it and drink it, once a day. It should help in palpitation. If there are no improvements, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

12. hi,i’m taking arjuna bark powder with cream of milk but i feel slightly irritation in my throat,is it a risk?

13. hi
    Dr. J V Hebbar thank you for your reply.now i haven’t feel any prblem.i hope I’ll get your help in future.thanks again.

14. It is best for you to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly. Generally speaking, with that BP reading, arjuna capsule – 1 in the morning can be taken.

15. Hallo Doctor, i have high cholesterol 273 last month’s (2 previous months were 203 and 286 ) blood sugar fastening 105 and triglycerides 122 i am on medication ecosprin last 3 months and torvason 10 for the last 15 days but now side effects of both medicine worsening like headache muscles cramping acidity and more i have just started decoction of Arjuna bark but empty stomach it’s felt vomiting and nausea i have tablets of 350 mg powder and Arjuna rust too please can u help me to arrange proper dosage ? Thanks in advance

16. HI Dr. I just heard about Arjuna today and bought Himalaya Arjuna. I take Bp Medicine one after breakfast. Please advise Arjuna dosage. Also are there any side effects?

17. Hello Doctor how useful in the coronary blockese i m having upto 90% blockese in three places.from last two month i m using arjuna bark. My question is this is 100% treatment for blockese,because i m taking only this bark from arjuna. Please reply

• Just Arjuna might not be that effective. You would need other herbs like garlic, guggulu etc. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly

18. Hello sir ..!!
    My cholesterol level is 235 and triglycerides are 516 .. can this Arjun ki chal be useful to me and in how much days it start showing it’s results n pls let me know how to take ?
    Ur help will be appreciated
    Thanks – regards
    Shipra gupta

• Hi, Arjun ki chal – 10 grams, added to 2 cups of water, boiled and reduced to 1 cup. Filtered. This is consumed once a day, before food for 2 months time. This is useful in reducing cholesterol.

19. Hi..thanks for all the posts.. I was diagnosed with bicuspid aortic valve 2 years back and started taking metoprolol. Sometimes I used to take ramipril as well and those English medicines caused too much of anxiety, depression, and used to make me very tiered. I suffered a lot and lost all hopes..I used to go to cardiologist many times but my dizziness used to continue during evening times. Thanks to google. Bought a bottle of arjunarishta from Dabur and started taking mild dosage.. It started working.. Since 4 days of the treatment, my dizziness during evenings has reduced a lot and I am able to concentrate more with my usual work. I am greatful to almighty Dhanvantri, lord of ayurveda. I am still taking mild dosage of metoprolol.. Some how I want to stop the junk metoprolol. If anybody can assist, I will be very greatful.

20. Hi doctor, My parents are heart patients. Mother has jus gone through angioplasty. Father only taking medicines. They both have started taking Sri Sri Arjuna 1 capsule twice a day. I just want to know how long they need to take this medicine? Is it advisable for both?

• As a general heart supplement, they both can take it – just 1 capsule per day, in the morning, after food for 3 months time and then stop it.

21. Sir…Plz guide ..arjuna powder +amala powder+mishri powder, can be taken after food in the ratio of 1:2:2..with plain water Or..Arjunarishta and amla juice (1:2) after food which combination is better .i have been advised for an anxiety and headache related problem to take any one of them.I just wanted to confirm with you. Plz reply me ..thank you..

• .arjuna powder +amala powder+mishri powder, can be taken after food in the ratio of 1:2:2.

• 1 tablespoon of arjun powder (7 – 10 grams) – added to 1 cup of water, boil and reduce to half a cup. Filter and drink when it is still hot.

22. Is Arjuna effective as a cardiotonic if I just mix the powder with milk or water without boiling it and also if I don’t strain it? I find it very hard to strain due to the powder being so fine. It plugs up the cheese cloth. Is there a better solution? I have even just added a tsp to a smoothie. is this ok to obtain the benefits? Thank you so much for your assistance.

23. Hello sir
    I am having a problem of low ejection fraction that is below 28% now
    I have faced alcoholic cardiomayopathy
    I have stopped drinking and i am using nicotine gums
    As i have also quit smokin
    Should i consult my doctor before having arjuna ki chaal as i am on medications
    And i have purchased it from a local shop that is the small pieces of bark of the tree as claimed by shop keeper
    So what is the proper way and dosage of consuming it

24. Can my family of 2 adults and 2 minors ageing 14-18 consume it daily with milk. Is there any problems if we consume it?

25. Sir,

My age is 29 and I’ve been having BP of 140/90 since last 3 months. Doctors advised me having a healthy diet and exercise routine everyday. My relatives suggested me to take Arjuna powder in either water or milk daily, soon after waking up at the morning. Which one do you think is more effective to control BP. Arjuna powder or Abana tablet from Himalaya?

26. Sir my father had a heart attack 7 days ago , doctors told us that there is 80 to 90% blockage in arteries , can arjun ki chhaal remove these blockages ? can arjun ki chhaal take with allopathic medicines?

27. Dr. Sb. Can th concoction of Arjuna be taken minus milk. Why is it required to be booked with milk

• It can be taken just made with water. Milk acts as a source of calcium and helps in better absorption.

28. Hello doctor ….my heart rates are always 100 to 120 bpm after normal movements ..echo and ecg is normal….what should i do….should i take arjun ki chhaal…..thank you

29. Will arjuna himalaya capsules will induce arrythmia in normal person if he takes the capsules daily. Please reply