Triphala Vs Chyawanprash – Which Is The Right One For You?

Triphala and Chyawanprash are two great Ayurvedic medicines. They both rejuvenate body and hence useful for anti aging purpose. But one has only three ingredients and the other has 37+. One requires just five minutes to prepare (powder the three and mix), while the other requires one full day. So how to decide which suits whom? Let’s find out.

It will be good if you read these two articles –
Triphala – benefits, dose, side effects, How to take?
Chyawanprash – benefits, dose, side effects, how to take, faq

Triphala Or Chyawanprash

Nourishment Vs Cleansing (detoxifying)

If you are particularly looking for cleansing and detoxifying, Triphala is more suited. I am not saying that Chyawanprash is not cleansing (please take your gun off my head 🙂 ) Of course it does cleansing as well. But because it contains ghee, sugar, raisins etc, it is more nourishing than cleansing. So, if you are looking for nourishment and rejuvenation, go ahead with Chyawanprash.

Dosha imbalance

Both are Tridosha balancing, no doubt. But
Triphala balances Kapha and Pitta Dosha, more and
Chyawanaprash balances Kapha and Vata Dosha, more.

Where Triphala holds a slight edge over Chyavanprash

Diabetes

If you are diabetic, taking Triphala makes more sense than taking Chyawanprash. Chyawanprash contains sugar. If the diabetes is well under control, then taking Chyavanaprasham does not do any harm, but still, taking Triphala is safer and makes more sense.

Eye care

It does not mean that Chyawanprash will not help in eye care. But if you are targeting specifically on your eyes, then Triphala makes more sense than Chyawanprash. Related – How to take Triphala for eye care?

Wound care

Again, Chyawanprash is helpful, but Triphala is more helpful in non healing wounds. It is useful internally, in the form of powder / capsule / Kashaya. Triphala Kashaya is also used externally for washing wounds, to do sitz bath in piles, fistula, etc. How to prepare Triphala Kashayam

Chronic skin diseases

Chronic skin diseases associated with itching, scaling, secretions etc, Triphala is more suited(strong)

Obesity

Because Triphala does not increase digestion strength to that extent as Chyawanprash, and because Triphala doubles as mild laxative and has cleansing property, it is more suited in obesity.

Where Chyawanprash is more suited than Triphala

Respiratory disease, asthma, cold cough

The first benefit of Chyawanprash enlisted in the ancient formula is – useful in Kasa (cough, cold) and Shwasa (asthma, wheezing etc).

Digestion boost

Chyavanprash contains spices like long pepper, cinnamon etc which are very useful for boosting the digestion strength.

Lean and weak

If you are underweight with loss of appetite, then look no further than Chyawanprash.

Too young and too old

Chyawanprash can be given in very minute dose to children above 3 years of age. It helps immensely in keeping the cold, cough, anorexia away and also helps in boosting the immunity power Similarly, it is more suited in very elderly people who are weak due to severe degeneration.

Aphrodisiac

Apart from being a good anti ageing medicine, Chyawanprash is also very good to improve sexual health.

Improvement in skin complexion

It nourishes the skin, so improves skin texture and complexion.

Memory and Intelligence

One of the important benefits of Chyawanprash as quoted in the traditional formula is – improvement in memory and concentration.
Having enlisted the above criteria, it is also noteworthy that, both are not mutually exclusive. They can be taken together, if your doctor decides so. But if you are to chose only one among the two, I hope that the above points might come in handy. Cheers!

Triphala and Chyawanprash at night?

Question: I have been taking Chyawanprash with milk at night over. But recently I have developed constipation. Last night I took triphala with a glass of water, in addition to Chyawanaprash, and I had better motion today morning. My question is whether it is okay to combine Chyawanprash and triphala at night ? Can I continue taking triphala powder over a long period (at night) ?
Answer:
First of all Triphala and Chyawanprash both are excellent anti ageing medicines.
Morning is the best time to take Chyawanprash. However, some people find it difficult to take it in the morning, so they take it at night, which is fine.

Coming to the present question – The person wants to take Chyawanprash with milk and Triphala at night.

My answer would be, you can take Triphala with Chyawanprash. No problem. But milk along with Triphala is not good. Some brands of Triphala makes the milk to curdle. This is because Amla – Indian gooseberry is an ingredient of Triphala and it is sour. The sourness of the amla, in some brands of Triphala makes the milk to curdle.

Moreover, as per Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana 26th chapter, sour fruits should not be consumed with milk. So, you cannot take milk along with Triphala.

Hence, my suggestion would be to take Chyawanprash with milk, 10 minutes before dinner and Triphala with water, 30 minutes after food or at bed time. This way, you can maintain a gap between the two medicines and enjoy their benefits at the same time.

48 thoughts on “Triphala Vs Chyawanprash – Which Is The Right One For You?”

1. Please guide us about procedure to take these medicines, i.e. before or after food, along with milk, fruit juice or water, when not to consume (during fever, post surgery etc..) so that we could get the right benefits.

2. Dear Dr.
    Iam suggesting to my patients first use Triphala ,clencing is more important than nourshment.Dhatus will be nourshied only after clrancing.

3. Sir, is it possible that triphala churns causes dehydration or excess body heat? I have been advised to take one teaspoon triphala churna from kotakkal at bedtime with warm water. Have noticed cracks in my feet intensify after intake.

4. Dear Sir
    All your articles are very informative and interesting.
    The solutions you suggest are very helpful in day today life.
    Thank you so much.

5. Dear sir, there are lot of good Ayurvedic medicines for diabetes management. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person. Because, online advice may cause fluctuations in blood sugar levels.

6. Dear sir, any good brands like Baidyanath, Charak, AVN, AVP, Kottakkal etc. should be good enough. If you are sure about seeing sand particles in Triphala or in any other medicine, you can lodge complaint with the local health inspector.

• Out of the above two, Triphala is more apt medicine. If you want to get full course of treatment, please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person. Regards

7. Dear doctor,
    Thank you so much for your valuable articles which we have been receiving regularly. Sir, I would like to know whether chyawanprash could be taken throughout the year.
    Regards and thanks,
    Kodical

• Thanks for kind appreciation. Chyawanprash can be taken in all seasons. However, ff taken continuously, it is best to avoid this during summer. Because, Chyawanprash is slightly hot in nature and there are less chances of occurrence of respiratory disorders, which is the prime target of chyawanprash.

8. its a very useful article.but my kids have been taking chyawanprash from kottakkal. from december so that i thought i could save them from the cold and flu from this winter; but i failed; i dont know what next? they r have severe cold and nose congestion and had to take antibiotics. but still phlem is there; plz help me to remove that phelm

• Please note that the positive effects of Chyawanprash might not be visible in a short period of time. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person for phlegm problems.

9. Sir, How is Baidyanath Rakt shodhak Bati for liver-detoxification and acne?
    What are its side effects? Can it be taken by anyone?

10. Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome.

11. Hi Sir ,

Any authenticate Chyawanprash is available in market which follow the right method & herbal content which is mentioned in original Text .

12. Very nice article,very helpful
    but above
    dr.satyanarayana has said
    Dear Dr.

how far is it true about thriphala and can it be given to kid of 5 yrs how much and how long
    and than can chawanprash be continues how much and which brand, please adive

13. Sir Will Thriphala help in reducing body weight. if so please let me know the method of intake and the availability.

thanks
    sri

14. Dear Doctor,

I am a first time visitor to your blog and I find it very well explained. Thanks for all your efforts. Please share me the links where you have provided such great information.

Thanks,
    Sreedevi

• Thanks for visiting my website. Please email-subscribe to my website and you will receive all the relevant information step-by-step.

15. Hi,
    You can take Triphala with Chyawanprash. No problem. But milk along with Triphala is not good. Some brands of Triphala makes the milk to curdle due to sourness of Amla fruit.
    Hence, my suggestion would be to take Chyawanprash with milk, 10 minutes before food and Triphala with water, 30 minutes after food or at bed time.

16. Dear Doctor,

I was advised to take Triphala beacuse of fissures. For about two weeks the regular use of Triphala helped me with my problem. I discontinued the use of Triphala and used it again later when i was travelling as i tend to get constipated. What i noticed later was that the Triphala didn’t work in easing my bowels and i broke out with a severe case of acne mostly around my jawline and my neck. I didn’t assume it could be because of the triphala. But once i discontinued the triphala, my acne reduced.

I would like to inclue Triphala in my daily intake, hopefully without having another acne problem. Can you please help?

17. Sir,
    In preparation of triphala usually all the three ingredients is to be taken in equal proportion. But at somewhere i read that it should be in 1:2:4 and at somewhere it is 1:1:4.(bibhitki: haritiki: amalki). I want to know what ratio is prescribed in ancient ayurveda texture and what ratio should we follow.
    Pl. Enlight on it.
    Onkar kumaro

18. I’m Pitta dosa type body. I get thousands of acne, tiny pimples, clogged pores in summer where my face is super clean in winter. I’m taking trifala powder soaking overnight in a glass of water in the morning in empty stomach. Will it be helpful to get a clear face in summer?
    I’m also taking sariwadyasava twice a day after meal. Will it be helpful to get a super clear face skin?

19. It helps to improve immunity. It is not directly indicated in improving fairness. Though, it is helpful to a small extent to improve fairness.

20. YOu can take Triphala. Better to have a gap of 30 minutes between allopathic and Ayurvedic medicines. Allopathic medicine first.