Triphala Home Remedy For Eye Care

Triphala is one of the most common ingredient in many eye care products. Triphala is one of the safest of Ayurvedic products. It contains three fruits.
Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
Vibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica
Amla – Indian Gooseberry

Triphala Eye care

Today let us learn a simple home remedy for eye care using Triphala powder, ghee and honey.

Indications

To Whom this Ayurvedic remedy helps?
It would help anyone who has repeated eye disorders like dryness of eyes, irritation, redness, itching sensation, burning sensation etc.
It also helps to some extent in people with vision power related issues.
People suffering from computer vision syndrome – CVS
People who complain of eye dryness post eye-surgery.

Ingredients

Triphala Churna (powder) – half teaspoon
Honey –  8-10  drops
Ghee – 3 – 4 drops.

Method of preparation, intake

How to make?
Mix all the three in a bowl thoroughly to make a paste.

How to take?
Take the paste along with water at night, after food.

How long to take?
It can be taken for 2 – 3 months or even longer. It is traditionally told as something that can be taken on daily basis for a long period of time.

Contraindications

Any contra indications?
It is best to avoid this in pregnant mothers and children below 5 years of age.

Can Triphala tablets be used in place of powder?
No. Traditionally powder is told as ingredient in this home remedy.

Home remedy video

Question
Does one take ghee by warming it so that one can count the drops? And after how long doe one see the betterment in the eyes?
Answer:
Ghee can be warmed a little so that the counting of drops becomes easy. But once you know how much of solid ghee is how many drops, you may not heat the ghee every time.
Improving in eye / vision can be expected in a month’s time.

45 thoughts on “Triphala Home Remedy For Eye Care”

1. My son is having watery eye problem and complains to light sensitivity… Thanks for posting this , I have all the ingredients I will try this for my child

2. 1. welcome 🙂
    2. You mentioned, what I forgot. It is absolutely useful for people using computers for long hours.
    3. Triphala water eye wash in the morning is just fine.
    4. Some do Tarpana treatment (an eye treatment) with Triphala Ghrita (Triphala ghee). Along with that, some eye exercises should help in correcting the vision to some extent.

3. It can be taken in a dose of one teaspoon (small spoon) at night, for nursing mother. But because it has astringent properties, I would recommend, it once in two days, rather than daily.
    If the condition does not improve, please consider visiting an Ayurveda doctor.

4. My mother is having diabetes since last 3.5 years. she lost her left eye due to retinopathy & the right eye is also having weak sight. Allopathic doctors are saying that it is irreversible. Can you please suggest any medicine or will this preparation will be useful for her?

• Hi, I am doubtful of even Ayurvedic treatment in your mother’s case. Please consult an Ayurveda hospital once.

5. Dear Doctor,

in the above comment its written that it is safe to take for 2-3 months. Is this comment only for women?

because in the post above

How long to take?

So is this recommended to take long period of time because of haritaki?

Regards,
    Prajeeth

• See the dose is very very low, only half a teaspoon. With that dose, it can be taken on a daily basis for a very long period of time. If taking it for long is not an option for someone, 2 – 3 months usage is also good.

6. Hello Doctor,

I read your post on Amla & now on Triphala.. Its really nice to see your response for all lots of query… I love they way you are serving peoples.. Always keep it on..!

I have a question on how to consume “Triphala” every day to result in weight loss..

Thank you for your precious time..

• Dear Ganesh, Triphala Churna – 1 teaspoon with honey at night can be taken for a period of 2 months as a weight loss remedy.
      Thanks for your kind appreciation.

7. very informative. However I am afraid of trifla as Amla and Bahedareates both creat constipation. Only Harad is good for constipation.. I am using Honey but not ghee and get good results.

8. I have read this article again. I am convinced if triphla churan is used with honey at night will not be constipative. It wiil be rather immunitive. In small quantity it could be used for longer periods giving break from time to time. I had read that trifla removes many many diseases but was afraid of constipative nature.Mixing of Honey would be wonderful.

9. Dear Sir,
    Thanks for the information
    the actual problem is watering eye means that the tear duct of eye to nose which help to drain the water released from the eye that duct is closed so u get water from eye
    is their any solution for this problem pl. help me to do
    regards
    Raghavenda

10. Hi,
    I have a doubt,In your other article you said that we should not consume water along with ghee and honey eventhough in unequal amounts….pls enlighten…
    THNX

• Hi we are not mixing honey ghee and water here. We are only taking home ghee along with triphala. Honey and ghee are mixed in unequal quantities. Only if the patient feels like drinking water then only he can take water after having this remedy.

11. Had a few questions:
    1) How long after food should this be taken? Any minimum gap?
    2) If one has a headache (either due to Vata and/or Pitta aggravation), is it still okay to take this remedy as is?
    3) Can Crocin be taken a little after this remedy?

12. Can we take aloe Vera and triphla mix juice with lukewarm water in morning For detox for increased vata in mind?

13. Hi, it is supposed to be administered along with honey and ghee, as explained above. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

14. Dear Sir,

I prepared Triphala Ghrita….at last should i separate the paste like material and to take only the Ghee or that paste as well….please let me know.

Thanks in advance
    Babu

15. When i prepared triphala ghritam…..is the by product left over…is there any use of that..or only the ghee…that is left out is useful

16. Hi doctor Hebbar,

I made the medicine for the eye treatment with triphala paste and dried it in an iron kadai as per your advice. It turned all black aftee drying. Is it supposed to be like that? Or did i make a mistake?

Jyotika

17. I want to make this mixture for one month. What should be the quantity of each ingredients? Thanks for your advice.

18. Namaste Doctor, if we have to consume it,then no need to discard the paste na. Can we apply as well as consume this home made paste right?

19. Doctor, in your video, u said, ghee and honey should not be taken in equal parts, but in your last comment, u have written “all equal parts”. Please specify.

20. Thank you doctor, I live in the Netherlands

I tried triphala eyewash before and i got much better but then i got worse gradually and when i used it the past few months i only got abit worse everytime i think it might be because i stayed too long.

I will try like you said and do 30-60 seconds this time.