Kayam Churna Benefits, Dose, Ingredients, Side Effects

Kayam churna is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine for constipation. It is not a traditional Ayurvedic medicine. It is a proprietary Ayurvedic medicine. It means that the formula of Kayam churna is not mentioned in any Traditional Ayurvedic text books. The manufacturer of Kayam churna – Sheth Brothers, formulated a combination of a few Ayurvedic herbs that benefit in constipation, blended them into powder form and labelled it as Kayam churna.

Ingredients

Kayam churna is a powerful and intelligent blend of good Ayurvedic herbs. Kayam churna ingredients are –
Senna leaves (Cassia angustifolia)
Black Salt (Saindhava salt / Saindha namak)
Nishoth (Trivrit) – Operculina turpethum
Ajwain – Carum capticum /  Trachyspermum ammi
Himej = Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
Svarjika Kshara – a type of Kshara preparation
Jethi Madh = Yasthimadhu = liquorice = Glycyrrhiza glabra.

Benefits, dosage

Kayam churna is claimed to be beneficial in Chronic constipation, acidity, gas, headache and mouth ulcer.

Kayam Churna how to use –1 – 2 teaspoons at bed time, preferably before food with half a glass of hot water.

Can it be taken continuously for many months / years?
For long term usage, Kayam churna – 1 teaspoon at night 3 – 4 times in a week is generally advised. It is not good to take it continuously for a very long time.

Mode of action, side effects

How does Kayam churna act?
Trivrit is a good purgative Ayurvedic herb.
Haritaki and Senna leaves are mild laxatives.
Yasthimadhu is good for stomach complaints, peptic ulcers and mouth ulcers.
Saindhava lavana and Swarjika kshara are usually used in gastritis condition. They also improve the digestion capacity of stomach and intestines.

Kayam Churna side effects –
Very high dose of Kayam churna may cause severe stomach pain, diarrhea and dehydration.
Kayam Churna is known to cause dependence. Hence, many people use it over a very long period of time.
One of the ingredients of it is Swarjika Kshara. We learnt in a video that the use of Kshara for a long period of time may be a cause for low sperm count and quality.  (Watch video for better understanding)  Hence young men planning for marriage, men seeking infertility treatment may avoid long term use of Kayam Churna.

Kayam Churna contains yashtimadhu. People with diabetes, high BP, high potassium levels (hyperkalemia) should take this only under medical supervision.

Overall, Kayam churna makes a good remedy for constipation. But for a long term and permanent cure for constipation, lifestyle changes and fiber rich diet plan is the solution.
Kayam churna in pregnancy  is not recommended, unless prescribed by the doctor.
Kayam churna is not recommended for children.

Kayam churna for constipation

Kayam churna is one of the most over-the-counter purchased Ayurvedic medicine for constipation. However, many complain of dependency and recurrence of constipation once after stopping the product.

Expiry date

Expiry date of Kayam Churna – 2 years from the date of manufacturing.

Does Kayam churna causes cancer? No it does not.
Buy Kayam Churna From Amazon (affiliate)

123 thoughts on “Kayam Churna Benefits, Dose, Ingredients, Side Effects”

1. Interesting how the name is “Kayam Churna” right? It’s like the manufacturer knew that there’s going to be dependency and made a joke out of it in the name. Btw ‘Kayam’ means ‘perpetual/never-ending’ in Gujarati.

• Lol! your guess is half correct.
      The reason for the name may be two.
      Kayam in sanskrit is – body / health. So, it can be assumed to be good for health.
      Kayam, even in Kannada, and many languages means permanent, suggesting that once taken, one becomes permanent customer of it?! weird.
      It may also mean that the solution offered and health benefits of this product is permanent. B)

• It can also be interpreted as permanent remover of ailments. Dependency on the Kayamchurna can also be interpreted as once fully dependency on this churna and not amending once lifestyle.

2. I am really satisfied after taking kayam churna my conspitation problem has come to a solution now I feel my stomach is free and I feel much easier than before but it is hard to drink to solve the problem of conspitation this treatment is better.

3. i am 26 male sometime i used kayam churnam . Half tablet ,one tablet . I am very sqtisfied . Not consulting doctor any sid effect in future pls tell me

• Hello Ranjith, except for the side effects mentioned in the above articles, I have found it to be good for long term use.

• Namaste Sir, These are some remedies you can follow:
        1. Drink a glass of water early in the morning
        2. Soak twenty to thirty black raisins in a glass of water at night and drink the water and the raisins in the morning.
        3. Spices, which balance digestion— asafoetida, ginger, cardamom or fennel, should be taken with food
        4. Eat plenty of fruits and leafy vegetables.
        5. Papaya and sugarcane are very effective in relieving constipation.

Medicine effective in this:
        1. Triphala churna — 1 tsp with warm water at bed time.

4. Hi,
    Can KAYAM churn raise Creatine Level. Recently, I took it and my creatine level raised to 4.0. I am having Chronic Kidney Disease.

• It is very unlikely to cause an increase in creatine level, however the possibility cannot be entirely ruled out. You sir, having a chronic kidney disease should always consult an Ayurveda doctor in person before taking any Ayurveda medicine, how much safe the medicine might be.

5. i have my hand and foot very cold or to much gas acidty and chest pain heart burn sir what i do? and i have sleeping time 1 spoon kayam churn take it

6. It can be used for 6 – 8 weeks. If you wish to use it beyond that time period, please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

7. Having hiatus hernia is not a contra indication for this medicine. A patient with hiatus hernia can take this medicine. However, it is always good to consult an Ayurveda doctor before trying any medicine / home remedy.

• Hi, Kayam Churna does not contain any sugar ingredient. Hence, it might not be the cause for very high sugar levels.

8. What should be a routine period of taking Kayamchurn, I mean once within a week / twice in a week or daily. Will it not be harmful in empty stomach before dinner?

• For severe constipation, it can be taken daily for a period of 2 – 4 weeks, after which the dose can be reduced to twice or thrice a week.

9. Hello Doctor

I am working in night shift and could not sleep well for long time in day time or take food in time. Will Kayam churna will be helful to me.

Prasanth

• Hi, Kayam Churna is not used in sleep problems. It is more commonly used in constipation.

10. Hi Doctor,
    I started to take Kayam Churan a week before taking orlistat pills. My bmi is 34. Is it right for me to go on with these 2 medicines as I have also reduced 3kg from 90killos.

• If the headache is associated with constipation and ama (indigestion and altered metabolism), then Kayam Churna might be useful.

11. Sir,
    I’m using kayam tablet or a couple of days. I am satisfied. How many days have I use tablet to solve my constipation permanently ?

• Hi, you may need to use it for one month time. Before stopping it, decrease the dose gradually and then stop.
      1. a banana at night.
      2. Include fiber rich food in your diet – corn (bran), Cauliflower, raisins, cabbage, berries, green leafy vegetables, celery, beans, guava, figs, flax seed, spinach, orange, mushroom.
      3. Drink a cup of warm milk at bed time.
      4. Avoid excessive spicy food, heavy non veg, and fried food.
      5. Practice Pavana Muktasana – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tN145t7tCU

• Thank you Dr. for reminding people to try these simple but very important home remedies for constipation before starting any medication, ayurvedic or otherwise.
        One should start medicines when none of the simple measures work.

12. Hi Dr. J I’m taking Kayam Churna once in a while when ever i feel my stomach is upset or constipation now i got pain at lower cage of rib in right side its sometime burns and pains is it with gastric trouble or something else. (after 2 days of pain or burning sensation i took kayam and today i feel normal)

13. Hi,sir
    I’m having too much pimples and darkspot on my face if i use kayak churan its effect on to reduce pimples????

14. company had not written on the bottel that A person can’t take this produt having high blood pressure & diabetes.

15. Above Q/A was very interesting. Due to my constipation problem, I take Kayam tablet-1 tab for few days and then Charan Malshddhi tab-3 tabs. With Kayam, I have to go yo toilet 2 to 3 times through out the day, while with Charan Malshuddhi, 1 to 2 times in morning only. Which one is safer in the long run?

• Hi, both are safe for long term. Please also follow natural remedies for constipation – easyayurveda.com/2015/04/15/constipation-causes-ayurvedic-treatment-home-remedies/

• Hi, if your blood sugar levels are under control, then you can have a banana at night, followed by a cup of hot water for constipation.
      Read more about constipation remedies – easyayurveda.com/2015/04/15/constipation-causes-ayurvedic-treatment-home-remedies/

16. Hi, Kayam churna is indicated in constipation and not in diarrhea. It would worsen your condition. Hence please avoid.

17. I told my cousin about this churan and she was having problem of constipation since long time she is happy and tell other about that

18. Hi Sir,
    i am consuming kayam-churna over 6 months,before that i was taking dulcolax for 5 months now after taking kayam-churna i got relief from constipation but my stomach remains very tight,if i stop kayam-churna will constipation will happen again and what’s the reason behind my stomach being tight??

19. Dear Sir, I have a bad habit that everyday in the morning before breakfast I go to Toilet more than two times. Like IBS Please advice me is it better to take kayam churna for my stomach problems ?

20. My son age is 2 years..once in 3 days he is going to motion. Is it good to take one forth of the kayam churna tablet?

21. M..kayam churan lera hu.pichle teen saal se isse mjhe pimpals m.kaafi rahat mili.bcoj mera pet saaf rahta h..tnx kaayam churan

22. Meri halat kharab hai ..her 5 min me toilet 2 ghante toilet me rat ko 2 baje tak kavi mat lena kayam churn

23. sir my digetion is not good and heart burning i am not feeling better in alla day and i felt bad odors from mouth.
    kayam churan will be helpful??

• If you have constipation associated with above problems, only then Kayam Churna may be useful.

24. Respected Dr. From last one month my motion are not getting proper. Due to this I facing Gas problem and head pain also ( only right side ). So request to you kindly suggest me suitable medicine. Which is best for me Kayam Churan , Triphala or any other? ?? Please revert back

25. Suppose there is lot of ama accumulation and this is the cause of my constipation, headache and inflammation. Suppose I take kayam choorna or triphala for few weeks. Is it possible that the ama will leave my body and after that I will no longer have any issues?
    Why do some medicine become habit forming? Once the root csuse is solved, shouldn’t our body start behaving normally. Isn’t ayurveda supposed to treat us by solving the root cause?

• Hi, in your example, once after the constipation is resolved by taking Kayam Churna or by Triphala churna, if headache is resolved, then, in that case, regular regular use of laxative is substantiated.
      Sometimes, the ama – disease causing Dosha complex might be present in deeper tissues and might not be resolved just with using laxatives. In such case, Virechana treatment is more useful.
      Mere use of laxative does not mean that the Doshas are expelled out.
      So, in case of constipation causing migraine, taking Virechana treatment once or twice a year would be useful.

26. Generally not. But if you are using same laxative for more than a year, better to stop it now and resort to natural techniques as here – easyayurveda.com/2015/04/15/constipation-causes-ayurvedic-treatment-home-remedies/

27. Hi, only in some people, it causes burning sensation. I think you can use it. Buy just one pack and use it for a week to see how it acts.

28. Sir,
    I see that Kayam churna should not be taken during pregnancy.( English)
    I don’t see anything like this in Hindi language in the leaflet.(backside)
    Is it really not that serious?
    I am writing to you not to offend you but to understand the severity.
    Thanks and Regards
    Suratprakash Rao
    Baroda

29. Sir, after fissure surgery I came out of country here my eating habits was totally changed again I got a fissure pain and constipation so continuously iam taking dulcolax tablet now my pain is fine, but I need to stop dulcolax immediately, if i stop dulcolax again i ll get constipation.. shall i use karnam churna? Please reply sir

30. Sir, I have fissure so everyday Iam eating dulcolax tablet, everyone adviced stop dulcolax immediately shall I have kayam churna medicines? Plz reply

31. Doctor I have been using kayam churna tablets for 4 years. Even though I eat well that does not reflect in my body Is this a side effect of this tablet?

32. Sir my mom have highly indigestion daily ….. she dont have stomach pain or any thing about pain but she dont have an toilet plz say me which ayurvedic medicine best for her these dont have side effect

33. Namaste. Could you please let me know if Kayam Churna will affect Cholesterol level, have an impact on kidneys or liver . I have been taking Kayam Churna daily for well over 8 years with no side effects. Hoping that there are no side effects because I am so much at ease and intend to continue takin it

34. I have bad constipation even when I take allopathy medicine constipation is not treated please suggest me some churna​ for constipation

35. Hey Shree when you were pregnant what did you took instead of kayam chuta , as I have a problem. Same like yours

36. Rajesh BANSAL says sir mere pet me left side bhut tite ho jati or bhut Jyada gas banti hai Meri age 27 hai to Kya me thik hone ke liye ise le chuka hu Par rahat nhi hai

37. Hello there..! I have been using kayam churna for the past year due to improper bowel movements…well it worked out fine but then after using it I could feel my abdominal stomach has bloated or grown 2-4 inches then before ,since I used to have a flat tummy then it’s not the case now and one more thing I would like to mention is that after drinking this I would poop almost 2-3 times in a day with was not cool…so just wanted to know is this some kind of side effect or something else…..!
    Please provide me your valuable advice

38. My father used to take this medicine everyday at night and it smells like shit!!!!!we wont able to be around that place since its too shitty smell..i dont know how to control my dad from this medicine as its been like an addiction now..!!!

39. It is safe while nursing. But better to use it only 3 – 4 times in a week, rather than regularly.

40. Sir,
    Is it safe to take Zandu Nityam or zandu Pancharist for long time for young male?
    Any side effects on young male life???

41. Using kayam tablets intermittently when ever I have bloating stomach. Have to go to toilet more often next morning. But gives good feeling as bowels get cleaned.

42. i am daibetic and bp also i will taken two tablet at night
    probem is my body is very heate and my stamac is light pain body was light pain
    dscred sleep tell me remidy

43. Finding myself unable to defecate in the western toilet, I am forced to take kayamchurna for next 5 days. Now this has caused me bloating, stomach ache and loose stools. I have been a patient of haemorrhoids (non bleeding type except for one episode). Kindly suggest a remedy for both..

44. Hello, I am 7 days Post partum and not had a bowel movement as yet. Can Kayam churan be taken when breastfeeding? Please suggest. Thanks!

45. Hello Doctor. Hope you are doing fine. I had a severe case of food poisoning about 4 years back, Infact the whole family had as we all ended up having stale food at a school fete. I was so bad the next day day that I could not go to work and felt very week. However, since that incident I tend to develop a stiffness, pain and tightness in my stomach around every 10-15 days. Now it is more frequent. I have been taking delcolax whenever I feel the same again. Will Kayam Churn in such a situation be alright. Also I have intense pressure in mornings but also have a feeling that my stomach is not absolutely clear. Thanks,

46. sir ,my father is a type 2 diabetic and takeing medications for diabeticd as well as bp…has constipation problem…how can kayam choorna can be taken please give me a advice.