Avipattikar Churna Benefits, Ingredients, Dose, Side Effects

Avipattikar Churna is an Ayurvedic herbal powder mix,  used in the treatment of constipation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, bloating, ascites, obesity etc. It is one of the very effective medicines of Ayurveda.

Avipattikar churna benefits

Amlapittam nihanti aashu – It helps to relieve gastritis very quickly.
Vibandham malamootrayoho – It helps to relieve constipation and difficulty in urination.
Agnimandya – it helps to relieve indigestion.
Prameha – it is used in treating diseases of urinary system.
Durnama nashanam – It is used even in chronic conditions.

In clinical practice, it is widely used in liver disorders and alcoholism.

Ingredients

10 grams of each of
Trikatu – pepper, long pepper and ginger
Triphala –
Haritaki – Chebulic Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia chebula
Vibhitaki – Belliric Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia bellirica
Amalaki – Indian gooseberry fruit – Emblica officinalis Gaertn.
Musta – Nut grass (root) – Cyperus rotundus
Vida Lavana – Vida salt
Vidanga – False black pepper – Embelia ribes
Ela – Cardamom – Elettaria cardamomum
Patra – Cinnamomum tamala
Lavanga – Clove – Syzygium aromaticum – 110 grams
Trivrit – Operculina turpethum – 440 grams
Sharkara – Sugar – 660 grams

Dose, side effects

Dose: 1 – 5  grams. Suggested to be taken at the starting of meals and in between meals.

Avipattikara Choornam side effects –
In a few, it may cause diarrhoea, watery stools, abdominal pain and dehydration.
Since sugar is added, this product is not recommended for diabetic people.

People with diabetes, hypertension, sensitive stomach, ulcerative colitis, diarrhoea, should exercise caution while taking Avipattikar Choorna.

It is dangerous to take this medicine without prescription from an Ayurvedic doctor.
It is not advisable for pregnant ladies and for children below 12 years, unless a doctor prescribes it.

FAQ

What to do when diarrhea starts?
Drink plenty of water.
Call your doctor.

Can it be taken along with tender coconut water?
Yes, it can be taken along with tender coconut water. Especially, if your Pitta is high, if you feel excess burning sensation, then tender coconut water is useful.
Other option for relief from burning sensation is, taking it along with half a teaspoon of ghee (clarified butter).

Ayurvedic reference

Bhaishajya Ratnavali Amlapitta Chikitsa 25-29

Original Ayurveda text book reference of this formula –

avipattikar churna – reference – bhaishajya ratnavali

Use in Prameha

Use of Avipattikar Churan in Prameha:
“Pramehan vimshatin chaiva sarva durnamanashanam”

Hi, 20 types of Prameha is a group of urinary tract disorders. Apana Vata is mainly vitiated in them.
Triphala – best anti oxidant combination.
Musta – one of the most commonly used herbs in urinary tract disorders
Vidanga – useful anti-microbial herb
Ela, Patra – relieves pain and inflammation
Lavanga – anti oxidant
So, all the ingredients are directly or indirectly useful in urinary tract health. Hence, useful in Prameha.
Also, in any condition, including Prameha, where Nitya Virechana (Daily detox / daily purgation) is required, 5 – 10 grams of Avipattikar Churna is administered, as it is mild, usually does not cause twitching abdominal pain and is easier to consume.
However, if the patient is diabetic and has uncontrolled blood sugar levels, it is better to avoid this product, due to sugar as an ingredient.

Manufacturers

Companies that manufacture This product are many like – Dabur, Baidyanath, Swadeshi, Baba Ramdev (Divya Avipapttikar Churna) etc.

92 thoughts on “Avipattikar Churna Benefits, Ingredients, Dose, Side Effects”

1. Myquestion is to doctor that major ayurveda doctor says that taking avipattikar is free of any side effect it can be taken without any harm but u have mentioned some of its side effects. i am confused?

• In people with sensitive stomach, or for people with high tendency for lose motion, Avipattikara Churna causes diarrhoea.
      For most of other people, who do not have any sensitive stomach issue, in normal dose, it does not cause any such side effects.
      People with diabetes need to consult their doctor before taking this medicine, as it contains sugar as an ingredient.
      Hope it is clear now?

• I ask you Dr.Hebber , knowing well my high blood sugar 200 f 400 pp , my ayurvedah Dr.has given me this product , so he must have thought this small quantity of sugar must be safe but why don’t you elliminate the sugar from the recipe as it is no bitter or use steviah powder instead .I SHALL WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY

• Dear Mr Khan, with such a high level of sugar, it is not safe to use this product.
          It contains sugar by design, as found in traditional formula of this medicine. Sugar in this product helps to calm Pitta, one of the purposes of this medicine.

• Namaste Dear Dr, In the phalashruthi of this yoga ,we come across the mention of “Pramehan vimshatin chaiva sarva durnamanashanam”…what has to be the interpretation based on this?

Regards,
        Dr.Dixit

• There are medicines and treatments for white hair problem. This medicine alone might not help. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

2. Does this aggravate Pitta like Trikatu does? Or is it safe to take when there is Pitta excess in the body?

Also, in which cases should it be taken before meals and during meals respectively?

• Because it contains a good amount of sugar, the Pitta increasing effect of other herbs get nullified.
      If it is administered to treat diseases related to large intestines, it is usually advised after food. If it is for diseases of stomach, duodenum and small intestine, usually it is given before food.

• Ayurveda products, at the best may help in controlling the symptoms of duodenal ulcers. Healing of ulcers – it happens, but can not be blindly promised.

• The ingredients listed above are the ingredients of Avipattikar Churna.
      Just make the fine powder of all the ingredients and mix well. The Churna is ready to use.

3. For normal acidity/hyperacidity and pitta related problems, when should it be taken, before meals or after meals or just when retiring to bed?

• There is no very big difference. If a person has sensitive stomach, then it is better to take after food.

4. Hi! I am having peptic ulcer and was treated for that. But now I am having severe acidity I took avipattikar churna for 3 days. my acidity is reduced but my mouth taste has changed.

• Hi, change in mouth taste is temporary. I suggest you to continue it for 3 more weeks. Hope by that time, this issue will also be resolved.

5. then what ayurveda medicine will be best in hyperacidity and vomiting for people with sensitive stomach and hypertension as I got encounter with dehydration and exceed of hypertension after taking this medicine , I feel relief from hyperacidity but other side effects appears

• You will need to consult an Ayurveda doctor for detailed examination, analysis and treatment.

• Then told me a better ayurveda doctor near by me google search shows some but i am not sure they are geniune like you so pls do it for me my address is vpo-kharindwa,tehsil-shahabad,distt-kurukshetra,state-haryana ,zip-136135

6. Hi Doctor,

I was taking Omeprazole and Dexilant for acidity for about 8 months and they have caused my extemely painful hyper acidity (heartburn all the time) after quitting. I order this churna today. Will this help?

Please advise

• Hi Tara, This Churna alone might not help to full extent. Why don’t you consult an Ayurveda doctor directly?

7. article is very informative,
    how to correct PCOD with c/o menorhagia ( irregular cycle and continue menstrual bleeding for 1 month )

8. hi Doctor.:/ is there any medicine for unwanted excessive body hair? I have dense body hair with each root having around two or three hair. I shall be really thankful for the help

• It helps in relieving bloating, vomiting sensation and gas build up. Although, a cure with it cannot be promised.

9. Doctor,

You said, the churna may cause loose stools for few. Loose stools may be once or twice a day, isn’t it? or is it throughout the day? (i am office goer)

Gopal

10. sir,
    i am having three stents . two heart attacks . allec asthma and bronchial astham
    can u suggest a doctor in vizag, ap or medicine

11. Dear Sir, We do not know what the doctors of Patanjali prescribe for Stomach ulcers because it varies from each individual and the severity of the ulcer. Would advise you to contact them directly.

12. Hi,
    Along with avipattikar, I’m taking panchaskar churna and liver rakshak syrup. Please advise if its ok to take all of these medicines for few more weeks as I’m not completely well.

• Hi, if your doctor has prescribed them to you, please continue them. If you are taking them on your own, please consult nearby Ayurvedic doctor before taking them together.

13. Is trifala churna and avipattikar’s benefits are the same?Like trifala avipattikar can be taken daily ?what is avipattikar’s other benefits except relief in digestion?

• Sir, will lay down the benefits of both here. Hope it will answer your questions.
      Triphala benefits:
      • improves digestion
      • is antioxidant rich
      • improves circulation (cardiotonic and capillary strengthening flavonoids)
      • potentiates adrenergic function (helps the body recover from stress)
      • lowers blood pressure
      • exerts a marked heart-protective and cardio-tonic effect
      • reduces serum cholesterol
      • improves liver function and is liver protective
      • is anti-inflammatory (constituents include Vit. C and quercetin)
      • is expectorant

Avipattikar benefits:
      • Reduces acidity, gastritis,
      • Helps in Loss of appetite
      • It is a Antacid
      • Carminative
      • Digestive stimulant
      • Mild diuretic
      • Neutralises the acid secretion in stomach.
      • It affects the organs of digestive system, urinary system and excretory system.

14. The excess dosage can cause the following effects:
    • Stomach pain
    • Abdominal pain
    • Diarrhea

15. Hi,

If all the ingredients are heating like trikatu. How does it used for pitta disorders. Does sugar one of the ingredient balance the pitta effect. Also How does this medicine work. Some sites say it removes the pitta from the Stomach and Small Intestine. What does it exactly mean removing the pitta from intestine. Can this medicine completely cure pitta disorders.

• Hello Sir, Avipattikara Churna helps in reducing the inflammation and re building the mucus lined barrier which becomes weak due to several causes,the digestive juices in the stomach start affecting the stomach lining from which gastritis develops.

16. It can be continued twice a day for 2 months and then, once at night for another 2 months and then it is better to stop it.

17. Hi, it may be a temporary symptom. I would suggest to continue it for 2 weeks time to see if this goes away.

18. You can take it 10 minutes before food. If you come across stomach irritation or gastritis symptoms, then switch to after food.

19. I understand that it is not advisable to take Avipattikar Churna for a long time. However if the problem is not cured completely isn’t it better to continue it rather than swallowing allopathic antacids especially if you don’t suffer from diarrhea even after taking this Churna.

20. Dr. This is a general question. What should be the time gap to take medicines before food and after food?

21. Namaste Doc,
    I have been advised to take this , as my pitta is high, am experiencing heat in feet and head, constant headache too .
    But told to take only once ????
    Is that correct…
    Any advice Doctor??
    Thank you for the article !
    Namaste,

• Thank you for the reply and advice!
      Shall speak to a doctor directly.
      Shall contact, if I face a difficulty in fondly a good doctor,
      Much appreciate your response,
      Namaste,
      Vidya

22. Sir, kindly reply for other queries about whether it is ok to take Triphala/Avipattikar or Divya Choorna along with my prescribed medicines? also is there a cure in Ayurveda for Hiatus Hernia?

also as I said since I live in Kuwait no Ayurveda doctor here, am willing to pay consultation fees but issue is writing down things but anyways will do try for that, in the mean time kindly answer above, also one more question is it ok to do breathing yoga like Pranayama/anulom vilom/kapalbhati etc. for me as I have this hiatus hernia? kindly reply.

23. HOW LONG I HAVE TO TAKE AVIPATIKAR AND WHICH IS THE BEST WAY TO TAKE AFTER MEAL OR BEFORE MEAL I M A PATIENT OF PITTA .TKS

24. Sir, is there any effective ayurvedic medicine for weight loss?
    I am trying to loose weight since 10 years. But it comes back. Please advise.

25. I would not recommend it for more than 2 months of time. If you want to take it longer than that, then take for one month. Stop for the second month, and continue again for the third month etc..

26. Sir,
    is there any ayurvedic medicine for obesity / weight loss?
    please advise as i am trying from 10-12 yrs.I loose weight but
    it comes back.
    Awaiting your reply.

27. Thank you very much for your reply doctor. We are really fortunate to have a professional doctor like you responding to all our questions.
    May God bless you.

28. Hi Doctor, At my request, my mother brought home (I’m in USA) Kumkumadi oil from Ayurvedic doctor in Gujarat as I had heard that Kumkumadi is quite good in eliminating acne. Ayurvedic doctor also advised her to give me Avipattikar Churna and use both together. Unfortunately she cannot recall doctor’s exact instructions for how to use either item to treat acne. Are you able to provide instructions for how to apply? Should I use churna with honey and keep on face for 1 hour? Or should I mix Kumkumadi oil with churna and apply? Thank you very much for any clarity you can provide!

29. P.S. Forgot to also ask, may I remove the kumkumadi taila with soapy water or should I only remove with plain warm water?

30. You can take it along with coconut water.
    I have not heard of such an application. Though, all ingredients are used for external application, in some people, it may cause burning sensation.
    If it does not cause any problems, then it can be applied.

31. Sir from last 1 month I’m having stomach like acidity gas constipation allopathic doc told me that I’m having intestine swelling after taking his madicine swelling is gone but sir acidity gas indigestion Abhi bhi hai nd most important sir pet saaf nai hota hard stool nahi hai soft hai loose motion bhi nai hai bas soft stool hai bandhke nahi aati hai latrine nd gas bani rehti hai colon mai sir muje plzz ye btai ki insab prob ke liye mai (avipatikkar churan) lu ya ( bilwadi churna) lu nd sir sath mai kumaryasava bhi le lu Kya plzz rly kare sir…..

32. I have a question that if a substance like avipattikar churna is taken to reduce pitta and kapha, does this implicitly imply that its going to cause increase in vata?

33. Why is this medicine not advised for long term, does any of the herbs cause have I’ll effects on the long run?