There are five types of Panchakarma Ayurvedic treatments. The choice of Panchakarma treatment is usually done by your Ayurvedic Doctor. These Ayurvedic treatments are chosen based on
- The age, nature and the body type of the healthy person
- The strength and body type of the patient.
- The strength of the disease.
- Dosha dominance in the patient and in disease.
- The choice of Panchakarma Ayurvedic Treatments is left to the Ayurvedic doctor.
- Though a particular Panchakarma therapy is mentioned for a particular disease, the Ayurvedic doctor may decide on his own criteria.
- The following indications of Panchakarma therapy is according to Ayurvedic textual reference.
Vamana treatment – Vamana treatment is suitable for diseases like respiratory conditions (cough, cold, Asthma), tumours, growths, diabetes, indigestion, toxic condition, excessive salivation, lack of taste, psychiatric diseases, anaemia, obesity, abscess, unhealed wound etc.
Vamana treatment should not be done in – weak patient, injured, very obese patient, very lean patient, children, aged, tired, hungry and thirsty, heart disease, who are on fast, etc.
Virechana treatment – is good for patients with fever, skin diseases, diabetes, piles, fistula, tumours, bloating, anaemia, skin infections, indigestion, lack of taste, liver diseases, psychiatric diseases, abscess, unhealed wounds, eye and nose related diseases, etc.
Two types of Basti – Different types of basti, and combinations are used by the Ayurvedic doctor to treat various diseases. It is best to leave it to the Ayurvedic doctor to decide.
Nasya treatment – Usually given in diseases related to ear, nose, throat, teeth related diseases, grey hairs, hair fall, headache etc. One of the main herbal oil used for Nasya treatment is Anu Tail