By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay)
Shukravaha srotas – The channels of transportation of semen tissue include the channels which help in formation, maturation, conveyance and ejaculation of semen. The entire components of the reproductive system in men can be considered to be the semen carrying channels, which include all structures from testes to penis.
Shukra = semen, Vaha = carrying, Srotas = channels / ducts of transportation or conveyance
Read – Srotas: Body Channels and Duct systems – Easy Explanation
Table of Contents
Shukra Vaha Srotas Channels of transport of semen tissue
According to Sushruta
a. Roots of the channels
The channels carrying semen / reproductive tissue are two in number. They have their roots in –
- Stanau – breasts
- Vrushanau – Testes
b. Symptoms of injury to semen carrying channels
- Kleebataa – impotence
- Chiraat praseka – delayed ejaculation
- Rakta shukrataa – blood mixed semen
According to Charaka
a. Roots of the channels
The roots of semen carrying channels are located in –
- Vrushana – Testes (scrotum) and
- Shepha – Penis
b. Symptoms of vitiation of semen carrying channels –
- Klaibyam – Impotence
- Aharshanam – lack of erection of penis / disinterest in sex
- Na cha jaayate garbhaha – conception doesn’t occur / no progeny
- Rogee vaa kleebam – the child born to the person having vitiation of semen carrying channels will have a short lifespan, ugly appearance and will not be capable of reproducing
- Garbhaha patati, prasravati – Even if the semen / sperm does fertilize the ovum and becomes successful in producing the embryo, the fetus will not live long since abortion or miscarriage occurs. This means to tell that the vitiated sperms / semen will fail to cause conception or will cause abortion / miscarriage immediately after conception.
The contaminated semen or sperms will prove troublesome to the woman (wife) and child. It will also trouble the man suffering from vitiation of semen carrying channels physically and mentally.
Read – Channels Of Circulation And Doshas
Causes for vitiation
Shukravaha Srotodushti Karana:
- Akala maithuna – indulgence in sexual intercourse at abnormal or restricted time
- Ayoni gamana – having sex with women having contaminated vagina or having sex in an abnormal / diseased vagina or passages which includes unnatural sexual practices like anal sex or sex with animals etc
- Nigraha – regular practice of withholding the ejaculatory responses or urge
- Ati maithuna – excessive indulgence in sexual activities
- Shastra – injuries by instruments, weapons
- Kshaara – application of alkalies
- Agni – fire burns
Sexual perversions and unhealthy sexual practices indicate chances of infection and related sexual disorders. Forcible control of ejaculatory responses can cause stress of unsatisfied sex and excessive indulgence shows a sex craving mind which is also not good for mind and body, as it builds up constant stress and un-satiated thoughts of sex. Injuries and burns, no doubt, can damage and vitiate the channels of semen depending on their quantity of exposure to these external agents.
Read – Relationship Between Reproductive System And Doshas
Treatment principles of vitiation of semen transporting channels are the same as treatment principles of vitiation of bone marrow carrying channels. They include –
- Consumption of sweet and bitter tasting foods and drinks
- Indulgence in sexual intercourse
- Indulgence in exercises
- Purification measures like therapeutic emesis, therapeutic purgation etc should be administered in proper dose, in proper time or season
Analysis of shukravaha srotas
The Roots of shukravaha srotas – Master Charaka has mentioned Vrushana – Testes (scrotum) and Shepha – Penis as the roots of semen transporting channels .
a. Testes as the root of semen carrying channels – Both master Charaka and Sushruta have mentioned testes as roots of semen carrying channels. Testes form the semen tissue / sperms and convey it ahead into the ducts which carry them. The semen is mixed with other secretions during the course of their conveyance until it is ejaculated from the penis.
b. Penis as the roots of semen carrying channels – Penis is the organ of copulation and ejaculation of semen and hence is considered as the root of semen transporting channels.
c. Breasts as roots of semen carrying channels – Breasts cannot form the semen. Men don’t have breasts. The formation of breasts or not are under the control of semen tissue. Not forming the breasts is the property of semen / sperms. Presence of semen marks the absence of breasts.
Read – Shooka Dosha: Diseases Due To Artificial Sexual Stimulants, Size Enhancers
Analysis of symptoms of damage / contamination of semen transporting channels
The symptoms mentioned by Master Sushruta clearly indicate the symptoms of injury to the roots of semen carrying channels i.e. testes and also the passages through which the semen passes before being ejaculated.
The symptoms mentioned by Master Charaka too indicate the contamination of semen production centers i.e. the roots and the channels of conveyance.
Click to Consult Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ayu)