By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Chronic renal failure, or chronic kidney disease (CKD), is a slow and progressive decline of kidney function. It’s usually a result of a complication from another serious medical condition. Acute renal failure happens quickly and suddenly, chronic renal failure happens gradually – over a period of weeks, months, or years – as the kidneys slowly stop working, leading to end-stage renal disease (ESRD). (Read more)
Table of Contents
Progressive kidney damage is the result of a chronic disease (a long-term disease), such as:
- Obstructed urine flow
- Kidney diseases – polycystic kidney disease, pyelonephritis or glomerulonephritis.
- Kidney artery stenosis
- Certain toxins – fuels, solvents (carbon tetrachloride, lead-based paint, pipes, and soldering materials. Even some types of jewelry have toxins, which can lead to chronic kidney failure.
- Fetal developmental problem
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Malaria and yellow fever
- Medications – overuse of NSAIDs
- Illegal substance abuse – such as heroin or cocaine.
- Injury to the kidneys
Read – Chronic kidney disease – Modern view
Signs and symptoms of chronic kidney disease develop over time if kidney damage progresses slowly.
- Loss of appetite
- Fatigue and weakness
- Sleep problems
- Changes in how much you urinate
- Decreased mental sharpness
- Muscle twitches and cramps
- Swelling of feet and ankles
- Persistent itching
- Chest pain, if fluid builds up around the lining of the heart
- Shortness of breath, if fluid builds up in the lungs
- High blood pressure (hypertension) that’s difficult to control
Read – Causes, symptoms, prevention and treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease
Ayurveda correlation of this condition, the etiological factors, pathogenesis, and treatment principles, role of Panchakarma and useful medicines and herbs shall be similar to those of Nephritis. When it comes to treatment, many things shall be taken into care especially in the progressive stages of the disease wherein there is kidney damage and the patient is undergoing dialysis.
Read – High Potassium, Kidney Disease and Leaching of Vegetables
Decoction, liquid herbal supplements and strong medicines especially the herbomineral compounds and strong cleansing therapies shall be avoided.
The main approach will be strengthening the kidneys with Rasayanas like
Small and monitored doses of
Vanga Bhasma and Shilajatu,
Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris),
Supportive enemas in the form of –
Dashamula kshira vasti
Mustadi yapana vasti and
Matra vasti with Guggulutiktakam Ghritam, Masha Taila, Narayana Taila or skillful mixture of ghee and oil and treatment of Vataja Prameha shall be administered.
Read – Two Home Remedies For Kidney Stones And Dysuria [Video]
Other treatment strategies
The causative condition / disease and its symptoms shall be treated to prevent the kidney damage and also to halt the progression of its damage.
- Treatment of Prameha / Madhumeha / Vataja Prameha – when diabetes mellitus is the cause or is associated with CRF
- Treatment to combat pitta and vata, Takradhara (medicated buttermilk poured in stream over the head), virechana etc. – for hypertension
- Treatment of Mutraghata – in obstruction of urine
- Treatment options discussed in Ayurvedic treatment of pyelonephritis and glomerulonephritis
- Treatment of Vishama Jwara and Jwara – when fevers are causing kidney damage or impairment of kidney functions
- Rasayana Chikitsa and Vatarakta Chikitsa – when SLE is causing impairment of kidney functions
- Virechana – for flushing toxins from the body
- Medo Roga, Sthoulya and Medovaha sroto dushti – when high cholesterol or body fat is a risk factor for kidneys
- Pandu Roga Chikitsa / Rakta Prasadana / Raktavaha sroto dushti treatment – when anemia is a risk factor for kidneys
- Shotha / Shopha chikitsa – when swelling and inflammation is a risk factor for kidneys
Read – Urinary calculi – Home Remedies, Ayurvedic Treatment, Diet, Recipes
- Tablet Bangshil
- Capsule Shilajit
- Syrup Chandramshu
- Capsule Neroliv
- Tablet Gonanti
- Mutrala Kwatha
- Tablet Oruclyn
- Syrup Sariba