By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Kshataja Kasa means cough produced by injury, mainly to the chest and chest organs. It is one among the five types of cough. In this condition it is the injury that causes the cough. There is pain in the chest along with expectoration of bloody sputum and loss of weight.
Read – Charaka Kasa Chikitsa – 18th Chapter
Excessive indulgence in –
- Sexual intercourse
- Weight lifting
- Walking long distances
- Fight / battle / combats
- Fighting with a person stronger than him
- Fighting with horse or elephant
The body gets dried in people who are indulged in activities beyond their capacity as mentioned above. The chest / lung of these people are injured. The vitiated vata enters in those sites of injury and cause cough.
Read – Ghee Home Remedy For Dry Cough
Signs and Symptoms
- First there is manifestation of dry cough. Following this there is expectoration of phlegm mixed with blood.
- When the severity and bouts of cough increase, there is manifestation of sounds resembling that of a pigeon coming from his throat in an indistinct way.
- Due to intensity of cough there is pain in throat and chest.
- Pain resembles like pins and needles in the chest, throbbing in nature.
- There is excessive tenderness in the involved region of the chest. When the painful site is touched the patient feels troubled and is put into serious discomfort.
- There is a fell that someone is tearing the chest apart.
- There is feeling of increased heat in the chest.
- Tooth pain
- Dyspnea / breathlessness
- Severe loss of voice
Prognosis of Kshataja Kasa
The cough caused due to chest injury in an emaciated person is incurable.
The same cough when manifests in a strong person can be managed.
Newly manifested kshataj cough is curable sometimes when the four limbs of treatment i.e. physician, patient, medicines and attendants work synchronously in a methodical way.
This cough and all other coughs manifested in the old age, due to ageing are manageable.
Treatment of Kshataja Cough
- Group of sweet tasting herbs
- Group of herbs belonging to the Jivaniya category
- Herbs and measures which increase strength
- Herbs and measures which increase the muscle bulk
Read – Benefits of Sweet Taste – Ayurveda Description, Effect On Body
Treating Kshataj Kas on the lines of Pittaja Kasa
Cough caused due to injury is treated on the lines of cough caused by pitta. For this purpose, milk, ghee and honey should be mainly used.
If the patient is suffering from cough of vata-pitta origin and also has pain in his body, he should be given massage using ghee.
If only vata is vitiated and produces pain in the body parts massage should be done with vata mitigating oils.
Read – How To Balance Vata Dosha? Line Of Treatment And Reasoning
Snehana – Use of medicated fats
Paste of 1 karsha each of is prepared –
- Pippali – Piper longum,
- Madhuka – Glycyrrhiza glabra and
- Sugar candy
This is mixed with the below mentioned ingredients –
1 prastha each of
- Cow’s milk
- Goat’s milk
- Sugarcane juice
1 prasrta each of
- Flour of barley, wheat
- powder of Raisins
- Juice of Amla
- Sesame oil
All these are heated on mild fire. When the contents get thickened, the vessel is removed from the fire and allowed to cool. When the contents get cooled, honey and ghee are added. This is called Pippalyadi Sneha and should be used for consumption.
This medicine cures cough caused due to injury, dyspnea, heart diseases and emaciation. It is also beneficial for old aged people and to those who have scanty semen.
Ghee prepared with Jivaniya group of herbs, mentioned in the treatment of Vatarakta i.e. gout should be given to drink to a patient suffering from cough due to chest injury in the below mentioned conditions –
- If the patient has strong appetite
- If there is repeated spitting of blood along with burning sensation throughout the body
- If there is pain in the heart and ribs
Drinking of ghee
If there is bleeding from the channels of the body and from the mouth, the patient should be given ghee extracted from milk for oral consumption and as nasal drops. If the patient is tired, emaciated and has low digestion power, he should be given with yavagu for drinking.
Larger dose of ghee should be given for consumption if there is stiffness / rigidity of body parts and bending of the body.
Ghee which is vata pacifying in nature and which doesn’t cause imbalance of pitta and blood should be given for oral use. Any other measures which pacify vata but don’t aggravate blood or pitta are ideal in cough caused due to injury.
Read – Ghee Benefits, Usage, Side Effects, Contra Indications
Use of meat
For patients who are habituated to eating meat and have emaciated body caused due to cough caused by injury, meat juice of lava and other birds shall be given for consumption. If there is excessive thirst, the patient should be given goat’s milk processed with Trna Panchamula group of herbs for drinking.
Dhumapana – medicated smoking
Dhumapana is indicated in the patients of kshataja kasa when there is splitting / bursting pain in the chest due to the sites of injury being filled up by kapha, even after the doshas are removed by administration of proper line of treatment.
The below mentioned medicated smoking are ideal –
1. Medadi Dhuma – wick prepared by smearing the paste of the below mentioned herbs on a linen is used for smoking purpose after dipping it in the ghee –
- Meda – Polygonatum verticillatum
- Mahameda – Polygonatum cirrhifolium
- Madhuka – Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Bala – Sida cordifolia
- Mahabala – Sida rhombifolia
Jivaniya Ghrta should be taken as an after drink.
2. Manashiladi Dhuma –
Paste of the below mentioned herbs should be smeared on a linen, dried and dipped in ghee. This wick is used for smoking purpose –
- Manashila – realgar
- Palasha – Butea monosperma
- Ajamoda – Trachyspermum ammi
- Vamshalochana – Bambusa bambos
- Shunti – Zingiber officinale
Sugarcane juice or drink prepared with jaggery should be used as after drink.
3. Manashiladi Dhuma -2
Wick prepared with Manashila – realgar and wet props of Vata – Ficus benghalensis made into paste and added with ghee is used for smoking.
Wholesome food should be consumed along with meat juice of tittira bird.
Click to Consult Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ayu) – Skype