By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Yonikanda is a disease of vagina presenting with masses / protuberant structures growing in the vagina.
Yoni = vagina
Kanda = protuberant structure, tuber like growth
Read – Gynecological Disorders Causes, Types As Per Ayurveda
Etiological factors of Yonigandam
- Diwa swapna – excessive day-sleep
- Ati krodha – excessive anger
- Ati vyayama – excessive exercise
- Ati vyavaya – excessive indulgence in coitus
- Nakha dantadibhih kshatat – injury and subsequent ulceration caused by nails, teeth, thorns etc
Pathogenesis of Yonikandam
Due to the etiological factors, doshas in the body of woman get aggravated. These aggravated doshas contaminate vagina and cause protuberant structures therein.
Shape of the protuberant structure resembles nikucha (rounded) or lakucha i.e. Artocarpus lakoocha fruit in shape. The colour resembles the colour of pus and blood i.e. yellowish or reddish in colour. These structures caused by morbid doshas in vagina are called Yonikanda or Yonijakanda. This disease more often occurs in vagina of the older women.
Read – Vatala Yoni Vyapad – Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Classification of Yonikand
Yonikanda is of four types.
- Vataja – caused by vitiated vata
- Pittaja – caused by vitiated pitta
- Kaphaja – caused by vitiated kapha
- Sannipataja Yonikanda – caused by simultaneous vitiation of all three doshas
Signs and Symptoms of Yonikanda
1. Symptoms of Vataja Yonikand
Vaginal mass will be dry, rough and discoloured with cracked appearance.
2. Symptoms of Pittaja Yoni kand
Vaginal protuberance is associated with presence of burning sensation, redness and fever.
Read – Granthi: Cystic Swelling, Types, Features, Ayurvedic Treatment
3. Symptoms of Kaphaja Yoni kanda
Vaginal protuberance will have colour of flowers of atasi / flax or sesame i.e. bluish colour and will be associated with itching.
Read – Vaginal Itching: Causes, Symptoms, Ayurveda Remedies, Tips
4. Symptoms of Sannipatika Yonikanda
This condition will be associated with features of all three doshas combined together.
Modern correlation of Yonikand
Yonikanda is a disease of vulva or lower vaginal canal. This is evident because injury by nails and teeth are also causative factors of this condition. It is obvious that nails or teeth cannot reach beyond lower part of vaginal canal.
Read – Arshas (Hemorrhoids), Ayurvedic Types, Causes And Symptoms
It has been correlated with –
- Polypoidal growth protruding through introitus
- Malignant vaginal ulcers / Early stage of Bartholin’s abscess– Vataja yonikanda
- Acute suppuration stage of Bartholin’s abscess – Pittaja yonikanda
- Chronic stage of Bartholin’s abscess – Kaphaja yonikanda
- Acute suppuration in chronic Bartholin’s abscess – Sannipataja yonikanda
- Simple or infected Bartholin’s cyst = Kaphaja and Sannipataja Yonikanda
- Bartholin’s abscess – due to resemblance with pus or blood colour
- Prolapse of uterus especially after menopause
Read – Perimenopause Symptoms, Ayurvedic Treatment, Lifestyle Tips
Treatment of Yonikanda
Triphaladi kwatha –
Decoction of triphala mixed with honey should be used for irrigation of vagina.
Read – Mushikadi Taila
Mushaka taila –
Oil should be cooked with small pieces of immediately killed rat. When the meat is properly processed, the oil should be filtered. Use of tampon soaked with this oil cures yonikanda when inserted in vagina.