By Dr MS Krishnamurthy MD(Ayu), PhD
Ayurveda prescribes Saindhava lavana (rock salt) for daily usage in cooking. But sea salt or table salt is commonly seen in cooking these days. Both these salts have their own specific health benefits.
1. Tonsillitis, Sore throat, anorexia – mouth gargling with salt water:
This practice is well known in most parts of the world. Half a teaspoon of salt, 2 pinches of turmeric powder or tulsi seed powder is added to a cup of hot water and it is used for gargling – 3 – 4 times in a day, preferably after food.
Read related: Sea Salt Benefits, Usage, Dose, Side Effects – Ayurveda details
2. Gargling for anorexia, tongue coating: In anorexia and thick tongue coating, a tablespoon of lemon juice is added with half a teaspoon of salt and water and used for gargling.
3. In Heal pain, calcaneal spur, numbness of the sole etc fomentation with salt:
5 – 10 teaspoon of table salt is taken on a cotton cloth and 1 – 2 teaspoon of sesame oil is sprinkled over it. It is warmed over a pan and applied over painful joints / numb skin areas for 3 – 5 minutes.
Read related: Saindhava Lavana – Rock Salt Benefits, Ayurveda Usage, Side Effects
4. Fatigue due to swimming, back ache, stiffness of the hip joint etc management with salt water fomentation:
The person is asked to lie down. A big cotton bath towel is taken and it is dipped in salt dissolved hot water. Then the cloth is made into 2-3 fold and with this gradually and gently fomentation is given to the relative area of pain or stiffness. This can be repeated 2-3 times in a day.
It is very useful in frequent leg cramps seen in swimmers.
5.Toothache management with salt:
Salt is slightly warmed and placed near the affected teeth where the toothache is caused. This reduces severity of the pain.
Read related: Salt Taste – Types, Qualities, Health Benefits, Side Effects
Insect in ear
6. Insect entry into the ear – management with salt water:
In case of insect or fly enters inside ear, salt water is instilled into the ear. This forces the insect out of the ear.
7. Management of nasal congestion with Salt water instillation:
5 grams of salt is dissolved in 40 ml of water and filtered.This is used to instil to the nostrils in the condition of nasal congestion.This is also useful in headache.
Master Charaka says: Any substance can be used as medicine, if we now the application of the substance and if the treatment is planned well. Salt is no exception to this rule.
Click to consult Dr MS Krishnamurthy MD(Ayu), PhD