Thanks to a busy and hectic lifestyle, Panchakarma at home has become a necessity. Ayurveda Panchakarma treatment constitutes about 60 – 70 % of preventive and curative Ayurvedic treatment. Starting from preventive relaxation therapy, to a serious disease treatment, Panchakarma therapy is widely used because Panchakarma is a sure shot way to restore Dosha balance very quickly. Panchakarma at home is quite a sensible and need-of-the-hour option, but there are a few things to consider.
Quick Note: Panchakarma is not all about Ayurvedic massage. Ayurvedic massage is only a part of preparation procedure to Panchakarma.
Click to read what is panchakarma
Panchakarma at home – a self treatment option?
There are a few aspects of Ayurveda which can be followed on one’s own. Example – Simple ayurvedic home remedies, simple diet and lifestyle changes. But Panchakarma treatment is NOT something that can be tried on one’s own without supervision of an able Ayurvedic doctor. I have seen a few websites describing self Panchakarma treatments, but its efficacy and safety are highly questionable. I strictly do not recommend it.
However, there is an exception:
Nasal drop treatment – Nasya therapy is one among the Panchakarma, There is a variety of this, wherein only a couple of drops are instilled through each nostril. This can be practiced at home, without medical supervision. How to do nasya treatment at home
As a matter of fact, even for a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner, doing self panchakarma at home (on himself) is not a good idea, for the following reasons.
1. During Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment, many things can go wrong, like excessive vomiting, purgation, giddiness, blood pressure variations, dehydration etc.
2. Throughout Panchakarma treatment, there are a series of signs and symptoms to be observed and monitored.
3. It is always the doctor’s responsibility to decide on the time duration and course of the treatment.
4. Each Panchakarma treatment is only for suitable persons. Every kind of treatment is not suitable for everybody. It is up to the doctor to decide.
How can we adopt Panchakarma at home?
- Having considered the above points, Panchakarma treatment at home is possible, under an Ayurvedic doctor’s supervision.
- Ideally, the client can visit the doctor once or twice a day, as required and can come back home and take rest.
- For employed people, they can even go to their job as long as they stick to panchakarma rules
- A few doctors skillfully customize the total treatment based on client’s needs and comfort.
- Many a times, a quick weekend Panchakarma therapy schedule makes much sense.
Overall, Panchakarma at home is certainly possible, as long as it is done under medical supervision.