Goat Milk Benefits:
- Goat milk is best suited for dry and emaciated patients.
- Goat milk improves digestion.
- Goat milk is useful in respiratory disorders. Hence, for patients with respiratory diseases, it makes sense to choose goat milk over cow milk and buffalo milk.
- Goat milk is beneficial in bleeding disorders.
- For those having mild diarrhoea or who defecate more than twice a day, goat milk is beneficial.
- Goat milk does not have a very cooling effect over the body.
- Goat milk improves breast milk production.
- Among those substances that relieve emaciation, improve breast milk, blood production, absorbent (useful in IBS) and bleeding disorders, goat milk is the best. (Reference – Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana 25)
Goat milk is
Grahi – absorbent, bowel binding
Laghu – light to digest
and it is useful for persons suffering from Raktapitta (a diseases characterized by bleeding from various parts of the body), diarrhoea, Kshaya – emaciation, coughing and fever.
Ayurvedic medicines with goat milk as ingredient:
Kumkumadi tailam – Used for acne, scar, blemishes.
Maha Triphaladi Ghritham – used for the treatment of eye disorders.
Pinda Thailam – Used in the treatment of Gout.
Saraswata Ghrita – Used in treating children with neurological developmental disorders.
Somanatha rasa – Used to treat frequent urination.
In Gout, an ointment made of ghee, the powder of Godhuma – wheat and goat’s milk is prescribed. (Charaka Sutrasthana 3rd chapter)
Ayurvedic medicines with which, goat milk is advised as co-drink / diet –
Bala Punarnavadi kashayam
Milk, goat, fluid, with added vitamin D
Taste – Astringent , sweet
Qualities – light,
Potency – cold
After digestion taste transformation (After digestion taste transformation (Vipaka)) –
Effect on Doshas
Vata increasing – due to astringent taste, lightness, cold potency
Pitta balancing – due to astringent sweet taste, cold potency
Kapha neutral – astringent taste and lightness decreases kapha, sweetness and coldness increase kapha