In pregnancy, back pain is quite a common complaint. Back pain in pregnancy is a very tricky situation. During pregnancy, back pain medicines can not be administered, as the choice of medicines is restricted during pregnancy. However, there are many effective ways to handle or prevent back pain during pregnancy.
Reason for back pain in pregnancy
- The growing fetus along with uterus keeps on occupying the abdomen space in the pregnant mother. This puts pressure on the back.
- The overall weight of the pregnant mother keeps on increasing week after week, which puts pressure on back.
- Some pregnant mothers tend to bend backwards to balance the forward weight, which is not a good habit. This increases the pressure.
- When the pregnant mother sleeps on her back, the pressure of the fetus along with uterus falls directly on back.
Back pain pregnancy tips
1. Lift weights carefully: While lifting any weight from the floor, flex the knees and keep the back straight, as far as you can. It is not a good habit to lift weight during pregnancy, in the first place.
2. Hit the right posture:
- During pregnancy, try to keep the back bone as straight as you can.
- While sitting on a chair, do not bend forward to rest your elbows over your knees.
- While sitting on a chair, try to rest the back on the back -support of the chair.
- Do not cross and lock your legs.
- Keep the shoulders nicely relaxed.
- When you stand, keep the legs a little apart.
- While standing, keep on shifting the weight from one leg to the other, easily, frequently.
- Totally avoid jerks, quick movements. Make up your mind about what you are going to do, before doing. Do not be impulsive in your movements.
- While sitting on a plastic chair, make sure to hold the handle of the chairs with your hands while you sit down on it. The chair should not move back while you sit, you see.
- A thin cushion, neither hard nor smooth, at the back, while you sit, is desirable.
- While sitting, it is a good habit to rest the feet on a short foot rest, rather than keeping hanging.
Sleep on the sides.
- While sleeping, do not sleep straight. Instead, sleep on left or right side.
- While sleeping on the sides, rather than keeping the legs one over the other, keep the upper leg over a thin and smooth pillow.
Watch your footwear:
The foot wear should not have heals. Smooth and comfortable foot wear is really necessary.
It is a good habit to do small exercises during pregnancy. But please note, if you already have back pain, it is better to avoid exercise. These exercises are good to avoid back pain in future. – click to read further
Massage in pregnancy:
Massage in pregnancy is very helpful, especially back massage.
There are a number of Ayurvedic oils to choose from, for massage in pregnancy. But it is better to consult an Ayurvedic doctor in this regard, as a few massage oils are not safe during pregnancy.
It is neither possible nor advisable for the pregnant mother to do massage herself.
So, it becomes the duty of the husband to take care. The husbands should also feel that they are becoming a father, you see. 😉
Once the Ayurvedic doctor has suggested a good oil, get the back massaged thoroughly for 10 minutes. A moderate amount of pressure strokes are okay, concentrating especially on lower back.
Care should be taken in massage, as in some cases, massage is not recommended. Click to read when not to go for massage.
A word of caution:
Some variants of back pain need medical attention. When in doubt, take care and consult a doctor.
Back pain in pregnancy is something very avoidable if you put a little effort to take care of your back. Even if you already have back pain, it is not very late to adopt these back pain pregnancy tips.