Brahma Rasayana: Benefits, Dose, Usage, Side Effects

There are many Ayurvedic herbal products explained for natural rejuvenation. Among them, Brahma rasayana stands as the choicest natural remedy for chronic stress and tiredness. It is a herbal jam preparation (similar to chyawanprash).

Benefits

This herbal recipe has been prescribed by Lord Brahma. It rejuvenates the body and fights against tiredness, fatigue, early grey hairs, wrinkling (Skin rejuvenation and hair rejuvenation). It is the best anti ageing formula.  It also improves intelligence, memory and immune power.
– It is a good natural rejuvenating anti ageing formula
– It helps to fight tiredness, fatigue, stress and ageing.

Dosage

10 grams in the morning with half a glass of warm milk or warm water, half an hour before breakfast.

Is it useful in high cholesterol?
In a dose of 1 teaspoon per day, it can be useful in lowering bad cholesterol. This action is due to ingredients like Acorus calamus, Amla, turmeric, long pepper, and Vidanga – Embelia ribes.

Ingredients

Key ingredients:
Shankhapushpi (Clitoria ternatea), Vacha (Acorus calamus) – Excellent memory enhancer, improves speaking capability
Amla (Indian gooseberry) – Excellent rejuvenator and anti oxidant.
Dashamoola, Pippali (Piper longum), Ela (Elttaria cardamomum)  Twak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) – improves strength of respiratory system
Guduchi (Indian tinospora) – Powerful immunomodulator herb
Shatavari (Asperagus racemosus) – good for male and female reproductive systems and for gastric complaints.
Haridra  – highly recommended anti allergic agent. Good for skin, lungs and fights against cancer.
Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa), Ikshu (Saccharum officinarum), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Usheera (Vetivaria zizanioides) – cleanses and rejuvenates kidneys and bladder.
Bala  – improves physical and mental strength,
Vidanga – Embelia ribes- fights against toxins and micro organisms like bacteria
Along with these, Brahma rasayana also contains Bimbi (coccinea indica – fights against fever), Jivanti (Holostemma annulare – a rejuvenator), yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) etc add to the medicinal value of the product.

Total list of ingredients of Brahma Rasayan

• Pathya – Chebulic Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia chebula – 1000 fruits
  • Amalaki – Indian gooseberry fruit – Emblica officinalis Gaertn.  – 3000 fruits
  • 480 g coarse powder of each of
  • Mashaparni – Teramnus labialis / Vigna radiata
  • Mudgaparni – Green gram – Phaseolus trilobus
  • Shatavari – Asparagus racemosus root
  • Meda – Litsea monopetala
  • Jivanti – Leptadenia reticulata
  • Jivaka –  Malaxis acuminata
  • Rishabhaka – Manilkara hexandra (Roxb.) Dubard / Mimusoops hexandra Roxb.
  • Shali – Rice – Oryza sativa
  • Kasha – Saccharum spontaneum
  • Shara – Serratophyllum submersom
  • Darbha – Saccharum spontaneum
  • Ikshu – Sugarcane – Saccharum officinarum
  • Water for decoction – 120 litres, boiled and reduced to 12 litres, filtered.
  • 192 g of fine powder of each of –
  • Sarpi – Cow ghee – 9.219 kg
  • Taila – Sesame oil – Sesamum indicum – 6.144 kg
  • Kshaudra – Honey – 15.360 kg

Reference: Ashtanga Hrudayam Uttarasthana, 39/15-23

Clinical studies

Experimental and clinical study reports on Brahma Rasayana –
1. Studies in mice has demonstrated Brahma rasayana enhances the proliferation of spleen and marrow cells, humoral immunity, tumor cell killing activities. (Kumar, Kuttan & Kuttan 1999 a & b)
2. Administration of BR (Brahma Rasayana) accelerated the recovery of the haemopoetic system as seen by a rapid rise in total leukocytes. Both lymphocytes and neutrophils were significantly increased by Rasayana treatment.

3. Brahma rasayana inhibited methylcholanthrene induced sarcoma development.

Shelf life: 3 years from the date of manufacture.

Side effects

There are no known side effects with this medicine.
It is best avoided in diabetic patients.
Consult your doctor for its administration during pregnancy.
It can be given to lactating mothers and to children in lower doses of 5 grams per day.
Store in a cool dry place, keep out of reach and sight of children.

Manufacturers:
Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal, AVN Ayurveda Formulations, Pvt. Ltd.
Dabur, Nagarjuna – Brahma Rasaayanam

Reference

Shloka describing Brahm Rasayan benefits –
Brahmanaa vihitam dhanyamidam praashya rasaayanam ||
Tandraa shramaklama vali palitaamaya varjitaaha |
Medhaasmrutibalopetaa babdhoovuramitaayushaha ||
– Ashtanga Hrudaya Uttara sthana – 39/22-23.

Right form of Brahma Rasayana
Three months ago, I started taking Brahma rasayana. It was semi solid and the taste was good. Now I have bought the same rasayanam from a different company and the rasayanam is solid like a rock. Should I use this or not? I have doubts about this rasayanam. To be more precise I need to know how a rasayanam will be solid or semi-solid.
watch the answer in youtube here

Ideally, this should have semi solid consistency. The Brahma Rasayanam or any other Avaleha for that matter becomes semi-solid or solid, based on the amount of heat it is subjected to while preparing.

When the sweetening agent – jaggery /sugar candy etc. is heated along with Kashayam (herbal decoctions), the heating should be stopped at the precise moment to give the lehyam a semisolid consistency. If the heating is further continued, the mass becomes more solid than liquid.

Traditional medicines such as Brahma rasayana, chyawanprash, Dashamoolarishta etc. are available from different manufacturers.

If you find one manufacturing company product to be good, stick on to that company only, for that product.

Similarly, in the present case, it is better to go back to the previous manufacturer who was manufacturing semisolid Brahma rasayana.

Research

An experimental research study was conducted on   C57BL/6 mice with Brahma rasayana to study its effect on lung cancer management.

Simultaneous oral administration (50 mg/animal/dose) of Brahma Rasayana (BR) and Aswagandha Rasayana (AR) significantly reduced the lung tumour nodule formation by 71.28% (P < 0.001) and 55.6% (P < 0.001), respectively.

Menon LG, Kuttan R, Kuttan G. Effect of rasayanas in the inhibition of lung metastasis induced by B16F-10 melanoma cells. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 1997 Dec;16(4):365-8. PMID: 9505206.

117 thoughts on “Brahma Rasayana: Benefits, Dose, Usage, Side Effects”

1. A wonderful wonder drug from Ayurveda. My personal experience tells that it can repair even bone remodeling, useful in pain management, heart disease, could possibly be useful for a number of cancers such as osteosarcoma since my own TMJ seem to be cured.

Ideally I would like to coming congressional congress but I myself have not reached there yet, so for now it is simply a a grateful and respectful thanks to the Indian Ayurveda and our great old Rishis. After all ” old is Gold several times” in human history.

Pardeep M Bhatia, Farmington, CT, USA.

2. Excellent ayurveda drug and people who are at their 82nd year like me are assured of total perfect health. It is my personal experience. This can be safely administered from children to the senior citizens. –Krishnamurthi

3. this has helped me to come over problems of memory and at my age 81 I feel very best health in day to day life.Krishnamurthi

4. I purchased Kottkal brand, but the composition is different which is mentioned over here. Please let me know why so.

Regards
    Nihar

5. Dear Dr. J V Hebbar,

I read your book on herbs which can be used daily. It effected me positively. Also i am grateful for your blog and responses to queries.

Regards
    kamaljit singh

6. what is the diffrence between Brahma rasyan and Chywan prasa? why do we need to brahma rasyan or chywan prasa if both are giving same benefits?Brahma rasyan is not suitable for youth ?so can we have brahma rasyan and chywan prasa take dose as morning and evng(C.P) will you suggest both?As you know that Brhama rasayan is less avialbility in market

7. subodh dhond says
    Dear Dr J v hebbar ,

I am taking Dabur chavanprash in canada , but I dont see any other products or ayurvedic store in canada but i see natural products which are too expensive, Is there is restriction for importin ayurvedic products do you whre i can check policies in canda about importin ayurvedic medicine

thanks

8. please let me know the side effects if any from this medicine, as my grand father is using it for stage-4 papillary thyroid carsinoma with mets near lumbar l4 and l5 region and also near chest and also lymphonodes are affected.

• I hope your grand father is using this medicine under medical supervision. There are no known side effects with this medicine.
      But it may increase blood sugar levels, since it contains sugar.

9. Good morning doctor!!
    I have been having Bramha Rasayan since past 2 months. Everytime I go to buy new bottle, I get a different brand. First I got was from Vaidyaraj Oushadhsala, Thrissur, Kerala, then all of them were from Nagarjuna, Ahmadabad. Which is the best brand? The one from Nagarjuna contains more gooseberry than the other one, I think. Kindly advise.
    -Prajakt

• It is better to buy one particular medicine from one particular brand, when aiming for long term use. Try to buy online.
      Brahma rasayan formula is universal and the same. Hence, it can not be said that Nagarjuna contains more gooseberry.
      Both Vaidyarathnam and Nagarjuna are quite good and reputed brands.

10. Sir the list of ingredients that u have listed for Brahma Rasayana is from Ashtang Hridayam or from any other source.

11. Is Brahma Rasayana good medicine for anxiety and panic attacks? I suddenly started getting feelings of severe anxiousness, stress, panic and depression a few months back. I went to the local doctor, no physical problems were found. I don’t want to take anti-depressants. We have some Brahma rasayana at home and I have been taking it every now and again. Please advise.
    Thanks,

DK

12. Nicely written Sir. I visited a Kottakal Arya Vaidya Sala recently for my hairloss problem and the Doctor prescribed 1 Tbsp Brahmarasayanam & 1 Pravala Bhasmam capsule before bed. Should I take Brahmarasayanam before sleep or 1st thing in the morning?

13. Namaste Sir !

Which is the best rasayana to be used daily for common cold, cough problems, hyperactivity, greying and falling hair and wrinkless, spending a lot of energy and too much thinking…

I made panchakarma 3x times in India and doctors recommend me first time narasimha rasayana, second time brahma rasayana and now bhargava prokta rasayana. Now I had problems with vata/kapha and rasa dhatus…

I like all of them I just want to take one for longer time, which one could be or is it possible to combine them too?

Thanks for help

With regards Jan

14. Hello sir,
    I am very slim. Can this brahma rasayana help to gain some weight? Otherwise suggest a medicine.

Thanks and regards
    Rohit

15. Hello Sir, and are mental illnesses or hysteria contreindications for brahma rasayana? and what is the best medicine in ayurveda in case of psycological trauma or physical and mental exhaustion?

16. Would it be okay to apply it to the skin externally while pregnant i.e as a face pack for anti aging once or twice a week? Thank you!

17. I have some gastro problems, like loss of appitite, some weight pressing effect in my chest,Not clear motion , that is tight,physically other test are clear Sir which ayurvedic medicines are suitable?

• Sir, Do take Triphala churna 1/2 tsp regularly to remove the constipation. It should be taken with lukewarm water before going to bed. All of your symptoms will reduce.

18. I like the Kottakkal Brahma Rasayan. Another quality product from AVS Kottakkal Kerala. 🙂

Must try their Chyawanprasham next.

19. Hi Doctor,
    Great article. I’m 29 and have a doubt. Does taking Brahmarasayana and green tea in the morning will have any interference with each other? Will they cancel the benefits. I’m having green tea first thing in the morning and Rasayana before breakfast. What do you think is appropriate time to have it?
    Thanks 🙂

• Brahma rasayan and green tea would not interfere.
      They will not cancel benefits.
      You can take green tea before food and B. Rasayan after food.

20. Hi Doctor,

Appreciating you for maintaining this website with valuable information.

Is there any problem if I take Brahma Rasayan (1 tsp before breakfast) and Ajaswagandhadi Lehyam (1 tsp after breakfast) same time for benefits of both medicines.

Thanks!

21. Dabur has come out with Chyawanprakash for diabetics. Himalaya sells Chyawanprash in dry granular form for those who don’t like it as a sweet jam (get vomiting sensation).
    Do you know of a Co. selling Brahma Rasayana in dry granular form? And can Brahma Rasayana be taken by people over 80 yrs. for improving memory and insomnia?

• Brahma Rasayana can be given for people over 80 years for memory and insomnia. But I do not know of any company manufacturing sugarless version of it.

22. Dear Dr.,

I am quite slim, vatta-pitta type and having bronchitis(productive cough), acid re flux with low appetite. I am looking for weight gain.Out of Brahma Rasayana ,Vidaryadi Leham and Chyawanprash which one is easily digestible(rather appetite increasing) , non mucus producer and yet better for Weight Gain? Or do you recommend any other leham or medicine? Please suggest.

Thank you.

23. Is Brahma Rasayan helpful in amunity improvement.My son is 24 he often gets sinus sore thort and bulgum doesn’t come out and put pressure on ears.Please advice.Thanks

24. hi sir my all hair and beared color is turning white fastly in mid 30s can bhram rasayan stop grey hair or beared

25. I have been giving Brahmi Rasayan to my kid, Boy 3yrs, for past one year regularly. 1tsp in milk, first thing in the morning. He has ADHD symptoms. Is it safe to continue giving.

• Better to stop it now and switch to Brahmi ghrita – 2 grams in the morning, before food for 3 more months.

26. I have been giving Sri Sri Brahma Rasayan to my son, 9yrs 6 months, for past one week regularly. 1tsp with milk, first thing in the morning. He has very low concentration. He is in 5th standard and he is finding very difficult to concentrate in his studies and other activities otherwise he is very active child. Is it safe to continue giving him. Please help.

27. Thank you so much sir for replying.

After 2 months should we stop it completely or give some break and again start the same process. For how long we can do the same?

Once again thank you sir.

28. M/s SriSri claims BrahmaRasayana as Anti-ageing and Nervine Toonic ? If it is so, can that be used for Diabetic Neuropathy?

29. Whether Brahma Rasayana can be used for Diabetic Neuropathy as it is also claimed by M/s SriSri as Nervine Tonic ?

30. Is there any oil or medicine to get back hair in bald area..
    Im using neelibhringadi scine 1month and brama rasayna..

31. Im using bramarasayana and neelibhringadi thailam since 1 month whether it help to get hair in bald area..can u say any other medicines or oil for getting hair in baldspot

32. Sir, I consulted doctor for hair fall.doctor prescribed “Bhrama rasayanam, pravala bhasmam ,yasad bhasmam , neelabhringathi oil+malatyadi oil. Is all are good for hair treatment

33. Sir i work in dubai and I don’t know how I can get this product here.plz tell me how and where shall I go to get this.

34. Doctor I have toe nail infection since last few years.I tried allopathy but no help.Can you please suggest some ayurvedic medicines.

35. sir,
    I am having piles treatment in which certain medicines are to be consumed before food.I want brahma rasayana to be consumed along with it.Brahma rasayana before food along with medicines or after food,which one is better?

36. Is brahma rasayanam can be taken before or after breakfast 30 min in the morning. Is it can be taken once or twice in a day.

37. Can I have Brahma rasayana and Dabur Chywanprash each once before breakfast at same time on every alternate days.