By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Rakta Sara Purusha Lakshanas means ‘signs of person who has richness and best essence of blood tissue’. These people are healthy only when they have balanced blood tissue and its best essence in the body. This should be supported with the balance of all the other tissues.
Rakta – blood tissue
Sara – richness / best quality / essence
Purusha – person
Lakshana – signs
Read – Understanding Blood Functions, Vitiation And Treatment As Per Ayurveda
Table of Contents
Signs of Best Quality Blood Tissue
Reference: Charaka Samhita, Vimana Sthana 8/104
Following structures of the body are unctuous, red, beautiful and dazzling –
Ear, Eyes, Face, Tongue, Nose, Lips, Palms, Soles of the foot, Nails, Forehead, Penis
Master Sushruta shares similar opinion (Sushruta Sutrasthana 35/16) –
These people possess unctuous and coppery nails, eyes, palate, tongue, lips, palms and soles.
The person having enriched blood tissue is endowed with – (Cha.Vi.8/104)
- comfort and happiness – sukha
- arrogance / pride / violent / rude / ill-behaved – uddhatam
- good grasping power – medha
- self respect / high-mindedness / magnanimity / wiser – manasvitam
- delicate nature – soukumaryam
- anati balam – less strength and endurance
- inability to face difficulties – aklesha sahishnutvam
- intolerance to heat – ushna asahishnutvam
- The persons having richness of blood tissue are extremely intelligent, are good book readers and surfers and also have innovative minds. Therefore they can pursue their carrier in academics, research field, medicine and engineering. They can contribute immensely in these fields.
- They are compassionate and can understand the point of view of others. This makes them good consultants, counselors and administrators.
- Due to their innovative and intuitive knowledge, they can find success in applied sciences.
- These people will not tolerate hot temperature, hot temperaments and exertion. Therefore they should always look to work in cool atmosphere and do jobs which are less strenuous.
- Reading, writing, discussing etc are their passionate areas of participation and would find happiness and solace doing these intellectual liking. Using these qualities, they will find success in their related professions.
Read – Is Blood, The Fourth Dosha? Controversy And Discussion
Bird eye view of persons of Rakta Sara from clinical perspective
Rakta sara from health, immunity and disease / pathological perspective
These people have optimum quality and quantity of blood tissue. Therefore they have good blood health and immunity.
At the same time if there is imbalance in formation and maintenance of blood tissue, deficit circulation, excessive bleeding, contamination and infection of blood, in these people, they will first suffer from blood related diseases. Therefore these people, when the health of blood is not maintained are more susceptible for blood borne diseases.
These people are also susceptible to get diseases pertaining to other tissues unless they have good essence and richness of all tissues. But most of their health is maintained, including that of other tissues when they keep their blood in balance.
Proper formation of blood tissue depends on the optimum nature and balance of its precursor tissue i.e. rasa tissue. If rasa is to be formed properly, the nutritional status of the person should be good. At the same time, the digestion capacity of that person i.e. functions of agni should be good. The tissue fire of the rasa tissue too should be intact. If the rasa tissue fire is deficit, more rasa in immature form is formed. This leads to blood tissue being formed in immature way. Similar is the impact if ama collects in the rasa tissue and the channels responsible for formation of blood tissue. If the rasa tissue fire is severe, less rasa and subsequently less blood is formed. The imbalances and contamination of blood tissue will cause diseases related to blood i.e. rakta pradoshaja vikara.
Read – Rakta Pradoshaja Rogas – When Blood Is Vitiated By Doshas
Rakta imbalances in the form of pathological increase, decrease, or association of ama and contamination of channels carrying rasa may deplete the essence of blood tissue and make it susceptible to many disorders.
Threat to richness of blood by pitta
Blood and pitta has residence and resident relationship. They coexist and have an impact on each other. When pitta is aggravated, it may cause burnouts and increased heat and thrust of blood. These will imbalance the essence of blood. Therefore it is important that the rakta sara person keeps a check on especially pitta aggravating foods, seasons and activities. The other doshas too might deplete the essence of blood, but not in the way as pitta does. At the same time deficit pitta too will reduce the quality, quantity and velocity in blood leading to loss of saratva.
Read – Understand Pitta Dosha By Its Functions
There is a possibility that most rakta sara persons might have a pitta predominant constitution. The other way is also possible. We should not rule out the possibility of other body types having richness of blood. Absolutely healthy people will obviously have richness of blood along with other tissues.
Relation with liver, spleen
Interrelationship between liver-spleen and blood health
Rasa tissue on entering the liver and spleen gets colored and transforms into blood. Liver and spleen also are the roots of blood carrying channels. Therefore the liver and spleen disorders might impact on the sara of blood in a negative way. To take care of the blood essence, the blood rich people need to be wary about their liver-spleen health.
Related Article – Sara in relation to disease management
Precautions, maintenance and interventions in relation to rakta sara
Since these people are rude, arrogant and aggressive nature, they should work out on the balance of their emotions and thoughts. This nature will build up stress and heat in the body which will eventually destroy the essence of blood tissue.
Since these people have intolerance to heat, they should keep away from extreme heat, be it foods or climate. They should also select professions and work places wherein they are not exposed to extreme heat.
Regular and periodic virechana i.e. therapeutic purgation to expel the morbid pitta and other toxins will help in keeping the blood health in balance. Bloodletting when used as and when needed will have same impact.
These people should keep away from consumption of excessive pungent, sour and salt taste foods which tend to destroy the essence of blood by aggravating pitta.
Read – How To Balance Pitta Dosha? Line Of Treatment
Since these people carry delicate nature and have less strength, they cannot tolerate hardships. They need to avoid hard and strenuous physical activities and exercises.
Need to know about rakta sara
- To analyze the strength, richness and health of blood tissue
- To diagnose the root of blood borne disorders
- To diagnose the balances and imbalances in blood tissue
- To understand the interrelated pathologies between blood, liver and spleen
- To provide timely remedies to enhance the blood quality and health who present with depletion of essence of blood tissues, skin, who were otherwise healthy in that perspective
- To promote health and immunity in people who have richness of blood tissue