Article by Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Dhauti is one of the six cleansing procedures advised in Hatha Yoga Practice. Dhauti means, “to cleanse”. There are four types of Dhauti –
Antardhauti, Danta Dhauti, Hrid Dhauti and Moola Shodhana
Danta Dhauti comprises of methods of cleansing the teeth and mouth. They are of 5 sub types as mentioned below –
a. Dantamula Dhauti (cleansing the roots of teeth, gums, teeth)
b. Jihwa Mula Dhauti or Jihwa Shodhana (cleansing of root of tongue or tongue)
c. Karna Dhauti (ear cleansing)
d. Kapala Randhra Dhauti (Kapala Randhra means the depression in the forehead, near the nasal bridge).
e. Chakshu Dhauti
Table of Contents
Dantamula Dhauti (cleansing the roots of teeth, gums, teeth)
How to do?
Take Khadira Rasa (juice or fine powder of bark of Acacia catechu) or Mruttika (fine and sterile mud or earth)
Rub your teeth thoroughly including the front and back of the teeth, its roots and crown. Rub gently over the gums. Make sure that the dirt and impurities are thoroughly removed from the teeth and spaces in between the teeth.
- Helps in maintaining and preserving the dental health
- Makes the teeth strong and healthy
- Removes dirt, impurities and germs from the teeth
- Keeps the teeth, gums and mouth fresh and clean
The teeth also can be cleansed using a clean stick of neem or babool. In modern day as we all do, we can use toothbrush and toothpaste to cleanse the teeth (Danta Dhauti).
Jihwa Mula Dhauti
Jihwa Mula Dhauti or Jihwa Shodhana (cleansing of root of tongue or tongue)
How to do?
- Bring your index, middle and ring fingers together. Use these fingers together to cleanse the root of the tongue.
- Rub your tongue with the fingers until the kapha accumulated on it is thoroughly removed.
- Wash and rub the tongue with butter. Before washing or rubbing the tongue, pull out the tongue out of the mouth. Cleanse the tongue with a metal instrument every day.
- Cleanses the tongue and root of tongue
- Helps in removing the accumulated dirt and kapha over the tongue
- Keeps the mouth and tongue fresh
- Helps in proper identification of all the tastes and differentiating them
- Cures tastelessness and anorexia
Karna Dhauti (ear cleansing)
How to do?
Clean your ear every day with the help of your index and ring finger.
Make sure that your fingers are clean and sterile and your nails are finely cut and trimmed.
- Helps in keeping the ears clean and healthy
- On constant practice one can hear mystic sounds (Naada antara)
Related Video – Karna Dhauti
Kapala Randhra Dhauti
Kapala Randhra means the depression in the forehead, near the nasal bridge.
How to do?
With the help of your right thumb, press over the depression in your forehead, near the nasal bridge. When you constantly practice this, it helps in mitigating the Kapha dosha.
It bestows extraordinary vision if you practice this regularly on daily basis. It should be done immediately after getting up from your sleep, after your meals and in the evening time.
Related Videos – Kapala Randhra Dhauti