Article by Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Yavagu or medicated gruels form the most important dietetic inclusions in the treatment of Raktapitta. Since Yavagu is gruel, it forms the food for raktapitta patients. Chakrapani advises Tarpana (Tarpana = nutrition or nutritious food / drinks) to be given in the form of food and yavagu (gruel). Here, yavagu is used as diet, which serves the purpose of tarpana cooling and nourishment.
As a rule, Yavagu should be given after Langhana (lightening therapies), mainly in the form of fasting or avoiding food. After Langhana, the ama or immature essence of nutrients formed due to sluggish digestion present in circulation will be digested. This forms a suitable background for administration of Yavagu or Yavagu rupa Tarpana. Yavagu will be utilized to optimum when given on a backdrop of Langhana.
In case of Apatarpanottha Raktapitta (Raktapitta caused by deficit nutrition), Yavagu (in the form of tarpana) shall be administered without administering Langhana.
By nature it is light and easy to digest and will be apt in these patients in whom the metabolism is disturbed invariably. Yavagu preparations mentioned in the treatment protocol of Raktapitta come with double benefits. Since these Yavagus are prepared with infusion or decoctions of disease modifying and strengthening herbs, yavagu also acts as a medicine apart from being a suitable nutritious drink.
Yavagu is one of the light food formats which are given to regularize and stabilize metabolism in cases of low metabolism and sluggish digestion. When processed with disease modifying medicines, they also serve the purpose of medicines.
Yavagu is a liquid preparation in the form of thin gruel. In this 1 part of rice is processed with 16 times of water. The final preparation has more of liquid than solid content in it.
Method of preparation
Method of preparation of medicated Yavagu in Raktapitta
All the below mentioned Yavagu preparations are prepared in the following method:
- The mentioned herbs are processed with water in Shadanga Vidhi (method of preparation of Shadanga Paaneeya, a herbal drink). For this the herbs are added with 64 times water and boiled on moderate fire until half water remains.
- When the water is half reduced (the water having obtained the medicinal properties), the ingredients are filtered off and only the infusion or decoction is taken
- In this infusion of herbs yavagu is prepared. For this, 1 part of rice is added with 6 times of herbal infusion and yavagu prepared such that the final preparation consists of more liquid and less solid part
- The resultant Yavagu is served fresh and hot to the patients of Raktapitta
Related reading – Shadanga Paniya – How to prepare?
Beneficial Yavagus in Raktapitta
All the below mentioned Yavagus are highly beneficial in Raktapitta. One or more can be selected to serve to the patients depending on the availability of the ingredients.
Below mentioned are some of the Yavagu Preparations useful in Raktapitta –
- Padmadi dravya sidda yavagu – Yavagu is prepared with water processed with Padmaka Kinjalka (stamens of red lotus), Utpala Kinjalka (stamens of blue lotus), Prishnaparni (Uraria picta) and Priyangu (Callicarpa macrophylla)
- Chandanadi dravya sidda yavagu – Yavagu is prepared in water processed with Chandana (Sandalwood), Usheera (Vetiveria zizanioides), Lodhra (Symplocus racemosa) and Nagara (ginger)
- Kiratatiktadi dravya sidda yavagu –
- Yavagu is prepared in water processed with Kiratatikta (Swertia chirata), Usheera (Vetiveria zizanioides) and Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Dhatakyadi dravya sidda yavagu –Yavagu is prepared in water processed with Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa), Dhanvayasa (Tragia involucrata), Ambu (Pavanonia odorata) and Bilwa (Aegle marmelos)
- Masura Prishnaparni sidda yavagu –Yavagu is prepared in water processed with Masura (Lens culinaris) and Prishniparni (Uraria picta)
- Sthira Mudga sidda yavagu – Yavagu is prepared in water processed with Sthira (Desmodium gangeticum) and Mudga (green gram)
- Harenuka sidda yavagu – Yavagu is prepared in water processed with Harenuka (Pisum sativum)
- Bala sidda yavagu – Yavagu is prepared in water processed with Bala (Sida cordifolia). Yavagu is served hot after mixing it with ghee.
- Mamsarasa siddha Yavagu – Yavagu prepared in the individual meat-soups of Paravata (pigeon), Kapota (dove, sparrow), Lava (common quail), Shasha (rabbit), Harina (deer) etc
All these Yavagu formulations should be served cold after mixing madhu (honey) and sharkara (sugar)
Just Before Finishing
This article gives a gist of Yavagus or medicated gruels which are beneficial in Raktapitta treatment along with the rules and limitation manual for the usage of the same.
Click to Consult Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ayu)