Lavender oil is among the most highly favored herbal remedies in the industry of human beauty. Its calming fragrant could be found in many types of candles, hair products, and creams. Lavender essential oil contains both psychological as well as physiological properties.
It has more than 150 active constituents and has powerful antidepressant, calmative, analgesic, antibacterial, antiseptic, sedative, antispasmodic, antimicrobial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. All these wonderful effects can surely justify its uses in the current health industry.
Lavender oil uses
Uses Of Lavender Oil – The Best Advantages Of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is the most versatile herbal, with the essential oil extracted from it used for several therapeutic and cosmetic purposes. This essential oil provides a floral-herbaceous fragrance that is refreshing and relaxing to our body and mind. In the article today, people will have a chance to discover some of the most common and great uses of lavender oil in life. Keep your head in the words below and try making uses of the tips and tricks that this list provides right from today for good!
1. Promote Hair Regrowth (Alopecia Areata)
Alopecia areata, an auto-immune condition that leads the hair to fall in patches off people’s head, could be cured with the use of this amazing essential oil.
A research published in the Archives of Dermatological Research in 1998 suggested that the use of lavender oil along with any other essential oil like cedar wood, rosemary, and thyme is a useful cure for alopecia areata. There are two simple methods everyone can make use at home to promote hair growth with the help of lavender essential oil:
- First, you simply need to use lavender essential oil to massage your scalp every day for several months to promote fast hair growth and recovery.
- Alternatively, try mixing 2 tbsps. of jojoba oil or any other type of carrier oils with 3 – 5 drops of lavender essential oil.
Although lavender oil is considered safe to apply onto our skin, never forget to make a small patch test to rule out the risk of an allergic reaction. Moreover, consult an expert before making use of this essential oil if you are pregnant.
2. Work As Natural Bug Repellent
Lavender essential oil can work effectively like a natural insect repellent to help in keeping insects, such as flies, moths, black beetles, mosquitoes, and fleas away from you.
- First, you just need to add 3 – 5 drops of this essential oil on a cotton ball and put the ball in your linen drawers and closets to keep moths and insects away. In addition, you can try adding lavender and any other essential oil you like in a homemade bug repellent.
- Alternatively, try applying 3 – 5 drops of lavender oil to your certain points before you go out to deter insects. Remember to do a patch test to check if the oil suits your skin before you apply it directly onto your skin. Not similar to any other essential oil, lavender oil is gentle and can be usefully used directly onto skin. Nevertheless, if it leads to any skin irritation, then try mixing 3 – 5 drops of lavender oil in one type of carrier oils, such as sunflower oil and use it to rub gently onto your skin.
3. Masks Unpleasant Odors
The sweet fragrant of lavender essential oil can aid in masking unpleasant odors in your living room, bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchen, as well as body odor.
In addition, when being used as a natural freshener for air, it will not lead to respiratory issues or headaches that some types of chemical-based air freshener could cause.
- Add 3 – 5 drops of lavender essential oil into a mason jar filled with half a cup of baking soda. Use paper to cover the jar’s mouth and use a fork to poke holes in it. Keep that jar in your kitchen or bedroom.
- For keeping your home always smell fresh, add several drops of lavender essential oil to your humidifier.
- You can also try adding drops of lavender essential oil to a spray bottle filled with fresh water. Spray the water and the aroma as needed in the regions of your body that perspire easily.
- For fighting against body odor, try adding 3 – 5 drops of lavender oil to your shower gel or bathwater.
4. Cure Staph Infection
Staph infection due to staphylococcus bacteria could be cured with lavender oil thanks to the powerful anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties it has. Staphylococcus bacteria could lead to several skin issues, such as cellulitis, impetigo, and boils.
A research published in the Alternative and Complementary Medicine journal in 2009 exposed the antimicrobial activities of this essential oil on methicillin -resistant and -sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA and MSSA). Here are two ways you can try at home with lavender essential oil to cure staph infection if needed:
- The first choice is to mix 1 tsp. of aloe vera gel with 3 – 5 drops of lavender oil and use it to apply directly onto your infected skin region. Let it stay within 60 minutes before using lukewarm water to wash it off. Apply this method 2 times per day for several days.
- Another option is to try putting two or three drops of this essential oil on a cotton swab and use it to dab directly onto your infected skin area. Allow it to stay within about half an hour before rinsing it off. Repeat 2 times per day for several days.
5. Relieve Pain
Lavender oil contains powerful anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties that can help a lot in reducing inflammation, swelling, and pain. You can use lavender essential oil to cure leg pain, sore muscles, a backache, or even arthritis pain.
In a research conducted in 2006 published in the journal of Pain Practice, patients who took oxygen from the lavender aromatherapy after experiencing a breast biopsy surgery saw a great pain relief. You can try these two easy methods with lavender essential to reduce your pain at home without facing any difficulty. (Source)
- Add to warm bathwater with several drops of lavender oil and soak in it for about ten to fifteen minutes to keep pain and aches away.
- A frequent massage using 3 – 5 drops of lavender oil mixed with olive oil can offer relief from muscle and joint pain.
6. Treat Respiratory Problems
Lavender oil can be used to relieve respiratory problems and relax breathing passages as well. The powerful anti-inflammatory properties of this oil can also aid in strengthening the ability to inhibit asthma attacks of your own body.
A research published in the journal of Life Sciences in 2014 also discovered that inhaling lavender essential oil can aid in treating bronchial asthma and suppressing allergic airway inflammation.
In addition, lavender oil could provide a great support in curing respiratory issues like flu and cold, throat infections and bronchitis. There are 3 simple ways you can try at home with the help of lavender essential oil:
- First, you just need to add 3 – 5 drops of lavender essential oil to a humidifier or diffuser.
- Another choice is that you can try steaming with the inhalation therapy with this essential oil.
- Mix two tablespoons of carrier oil like olive oil or jojoba oil with five or six drops of lavender oil and use the mixture to gently rub onto your chest 2 times per day for 2 – 3 days.
7. Fight Anxiety And Related Issues
Lavender essential oil can work effectively as a sedative and can help in reducing panic attacks as well as anxiety. Lavender aromatherapy can unwind the nervous system and induce relaxation, helping to reduce signs and symptoms of anxiety.
It can also distract your mind from situations that can trigger an anxiety attack. In addition, it can help in lowering high blood pressure and suppressing heart stimulation. There are some simple ways people can try at home with the support of lavender oil to combat anxiety and some other mental health issues:
- Add 3 – 5 drops of lavender essential oil to your favorite massage oil and massage the oil mixture into your shoulders, back, and neck.
- To relax, try rubbing about 3 – 4 drops of lavender oil onto your temples.
- To ease anxiety, put 3 – 5 drops of this essential oil into a hot water bowl and inhale the steam.
8. Treat Fungal Infections
Lavender oil is also a useful natural treatment for combating antifungal-resistant infections. A research published in the Medical Microbiology Journal in 2011 exposed that lavender oil has potent antifungal properties against the fungi strains that can lead to common nail and skin infections.
It can also aid a lot in soothing burns, bruises, cuts, minor wounds, or itchy skin, as well as reducing the risks of scarring. There are some simple steps you should follow at home to make use of lavender oil to get rid of fungal infections without having to make use of any medication:
- Try mixing one tsp. of olive oil with 3 – 5 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Apply the solution with a cotton ball directly onto your infected skin area.
- Allow it to stay within about half an hour at least, and then use lukewarm water to rinse it off and pat it dry thoroughly.
- Repeat 2 times per day until you can completely stop the infection.
9. Relieve Headaches
If you have to struggle with migraines or tension headaches frequently, then maybe lavender oil can act as a natural alternative for you to replace pain-reducing medications.
It contains powerful anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties that can help to relieve pain effectively. Moreover, lavender oil can relax tense muscles that usually contribute to headaches.
A research published in European Neurology in 2012 suggested that inhaling lavender essential oil is a safe and useful therapy for reducing a migraine headache. Here are 2 simple methods you can try at the comfort of your own home with the help of this natural ingredient to reduce headaches:
- First, you just need to mix 1 tbsp. of olive oil with two drops of lavender essential oil and use it to massage your forehead.
- Add about 3 – 5 drops of lavender oil on a handkerchief and try inhaling the aroma for fast headaches relief.
10. Promote Goodnight’s Sleep
Over decades, people used lavender flowers to fill their pillows to help increase their sleep quality. In nowadays, it is proven by science that the lavender aromatherapy can aid a lot in relaxing and sleeping better.
A research published in the American Journal of Critical Care in 2014 exposed that the aromatherapy using lavender could be a useful method people should try to improve their sleep quality.
In addition, lavender oil can help in balancing strong emotions and stabilizing your moods. There are 2 ways people can try at home with the help of lavender oil to promote goodnight’s sleep:
- First, you just need to add ten to twelve drops of lavender essential oil to a bedroom aromatherapy diffuser.
- Alternatively, try adding on a tissue with three or four drops of lavender essential oil and put it under the pillow to induce goodnight sleep.
The article today is an entire combination of the best uses of lavender oil that people should not skip. If you are among people who love this natural ingredient, then read this article carefully and make use of the tips and tricks it introduces. If you have any question about the content of this writing, feel free to leave your comments and feedbacks on the section below!
Author Bio: Huyen My – Writer and Blogger, who has over 5 years of experience in Beauty & Skin Care industry. She works for VKool.com and AllRemedies.com – reliable resources assisting people to resolve their health and life issues, as a content coordinator for categories including Health & Beauty. She also focuses on fitness, women’s issues, relationship, and lifestyle. Find more of her articles on Facebook or Google plus