The reason that I have been telling all people to visit an Ayurveda doctor directly is because, an able doctor will consider the below mentioned 11 factors before deciding on the treatment. Keen observation of these factors helps the doctor to answer the following questions.
- Is the disease treatable or not?
- Is it difficult to treat / easy to treat?
- What should be the course of treatment?
- Should the treatment include Panchakarma or just oral medicines?
- Long term medication/ short term medication?
- Strong / mild medicines? etc.
Do not miss to read the example section given below, to understand the whole concept very clearly.
Those 11 factors are –
Dushya – the Dhatus and Malas involved in a disease
The Tridosha, when vitiated, affect the body tissues (Dhatus) and waste products (urine, sweat and faeces). This leads to disease. The extent of vitiation (imbalance) of the disease, which are the dhatus involved, etc are very important while considering treatment.
Desha – the area of the body where disease is manifested, the living place of the patient. Both need consideration.
Bala – strength of the patient – A person with strong immune system can respond to mild treatment. But a person with low immunity may require higher dose of medicine.
Kala- season, how old is the disease, age of the person, in what season the disease has affected him etc.
Anala- digestive power of the patient is one of the most important criteria. A person with good digestion strength can be administered with strong dose of medicine. So, the chances of cure is good in him.
Prakriti – Body constitution – Usually, a person with all three Dosha (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) in a balanced state is considered ideal, because, no Dosha is dominant in him. The person with 2 Dosha body type (Vata Pitta, Pitta Kapha etc) is considered moderate and person with single Dosha body type is considered worse for treatment.
Because, suppose, a person has Pitta body type. If he gets any Pitta related disease, then the extent of damage to his body by vitiated Pitta will be very huge. Because, a Dosha, which is already dominant in his body has become more aggressive.
Hence very aggressive treatment will be required in him.
Vayas- age of the patient
Children and elders need mild treatment. Adults and youngsters may tolerate strong treatment hence treatment options are more in them.
Satva – mind, tolerance capacity of the patient – More the tolerance capacity, more options for treatment. Strength of the body and strength of mind are two different things.
Satmya – The food and activities to which the patient is accustomed to. For example, if the patient is accustomed to take ice creams and has aversion towards hot food stuff (seeks Kapha increasing food and habits), in such a patient, treating cold and cough will be tough. Hence, strong medicines might be required here.
It is very difficult to treat asthma in a regular smoker.
Ahara- food habits – If the patient is okay taking bitter and astringent tastes, then the choice of medicine will be wider. If he is not accustomed to all tastes (not ideal), then the choice of medicine will be limited.
Avastha- stages of the diseases Newer the disease, milder the required treatment.
1. We have learnt that Vata resides in Asthi (bones and joints). Consider, if Vata imbalance leads to a bone disease, in an elderly patient.
Elderly means, there is already Vata increase, bone is naturally controlled by Vata and over that Vata is further increased, leading to bone depletion and arthritis. Hence, treatment to balance Vata needs to be quite strong, though the patient is elderly and can only tolerate only milder treatment. Hence, an energy boosting medicine might also be required.
2. A highly tolerant person, who can eat wide variety of food, who has Tridosha body type, can tolerate harsher treatment. Hence, in him, usually, effectiveness of any treatment is more.
3. If a Vata body type person, who lives in arid place (Vata dominant place), gets any Vata dominant disease, then a serious Vata balancing treatment has to be planned. If a Pitta body type person who lives in hot place, gets Vata disease, then a milder form of Vata treatment might just be sufficient. Because, in him, hotness is more. We have learnt in qualities of Tridosha that Vata has cold property. So, already, there are some qualities in him, that are opposite to his disease. So, milder treatment will do good.
4. If the disease involves only one Dhatu (body tissue) then it is easy to treat. If it involves many, then the treatment becomes difficult.
Have doubts? Ask me in the comments section below.