There is an ancient quote relating the shape of the herb and their effect on certain organs of the body.
Yatra aakrutihi tatra gunaaha vasanti |
For example, Cissus quadrangularis stem resembles the shape of bones and joints in the body. And indeed it is very effective in strengthening the bones and joints. It is explained as Asthi samharaka, Ashti Shrunkhala and Vajravalli.
Botanical names- Cissus quadrangularis Linn.
Names in different languages
Hindi name- Hadjod, hadjora
English name- Edible stemmed vine, veldt grape, devil’s backbone, adamant creeper
Telugu name- Nalleru, Nallerutige
Kannada name- Mogaroli
Tamil name- Pindai, Perandai, Pirandai
Malayalam name – Changalam Paranda, Changalamparanta
Bengali name – Hodjoda
Marathi name – Kandvel
Gujarati name – Hadsankal
- Vajra valli, Vajrangi – Makes the body as strong as diamond
- Asthi Shrunkala, Asthiyuk – stems resemble bones
- Granthimana – knotted stem
- Chaturdhara – stem having four edges.
What is Cissus quardangularis?
Morphology of Hadjod
- Cissus quadrangularis is a herb, reaching a height of 1.5 m and has quadrangular-sectioned branches with internodes 8 to 10 cm long and 1.2 to 1.5 cm wide.
- Stems – leafless, quadrangular, glabrous,
- Tendrils – long, slender, simple
- Leaves – 2.5 – 5 cm, broadly ovate, sometimes 3-7 lobes. Petioles – 6 – 12 mm
- Flowers are cymes, Calyx cup shaped
- Berry obovoid, 6 mm long, red when ripe, seeded.
- Flowering and fruiting – post rainy season, autumn.
Bhavaprakasha – Guduchyadi Varga
Kaiyadeva Nighantu – Lakshmanadi Varga
Cissus quadrangularis chemical composition:
Carotenoids, Triterpenoids, traxerol, sitosterol and ascorbic acid.
The plant extract serves as a rich source of calcium ions.
Guna (qualities) – Laghu – light to digest, Rooksha – dryness
Rasa (taste) – Madhura – sweet
Vipaka- Katu – Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion
Veerya – Ushna – Hot potency
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Vata and Kapha Dosha
It enhances the quantity of bowel, appetiser, good for patients of haemorrhoids, gulma (gaseous tumours) and indigestion.
Part used – Stem
Fresh juice 10-20 ml; Paste 5-10 g in divided dose per day.
Capsule – extract in capsule form is advised once or twice a day.
Uses as per Ayurveda
Asthiyuk – strengthens bones.
Sara – induces mobility, causes diarrhoea, purgative, relieves constipation
Krumighna – Relieves worm infestation, useful in infected wounds
Amaghna – Relieves ama – a product of indigestion and altered metabolism.
Vrushya – aphrodisiac, improves vigour
Pachana – Digestive, relieves Ama Dosha
Pittala – Increases Pitta Dosha
It is used in the treatment of obesity, gout, syphilis, Venereal diseases, leucorrhoea, worm infestation, anorexia, diabetes, peptic ulcer, haemorrhoids and high cholesterol.
Young shoots of the plant are dried. Put on fire. Lid is closed. The ash is collected and administered internally – 125-500 mg to treat dyspepsia, weak digestion, gastritis.
The mature stem paste is applied externally to heal fractures and dislocations quickly. It is also applied on wounds for quick wound healing.
It is also used as a body building supplement. In North eastern states of India, its stem is used as a vegetable.
- Leaves and stem are used for making curry in southern India.
- Stems are boiled and fried in preparing vegetables.
- Used in making Papad and Chutney.
In Siddha system of medicine, it is used for healing bone fracture, piles, as an anti ageing herb, in Asthma, cough and gonorrhoea.
- Anti helminthic, blood-purifier, carminative and stomachic.
- Its dry powder is snuffed in epistaxis.
- Found throughout India, in warmer regions, found in boundary walls, gardens, hanging pots, cultivated fields.
- Also found in Ceylon, Malay, East Africa
Research study on Cissus quadrangularis –
1. It contains a rich source of carotenoids, triterpenoids and ascorbic acid. Compounds that act as receptor antagonists of glucocorticoids have reduced the healing time of broken bones 30 to 50 percent in clinical trials. It has also been used to treat obesity and associated oxidative stress.
Reference: Chopra SS, Patel MR, Awadhiya RP. (1976) “Studies of Cissus quadrangularis in experimental fracture repair: a histopathological study”; Indian Journal of Medical Researches 64(9): 1365-1368.
2. Its bactericidal effects on Helicobacter pylori hold promise as an effective treatment of gastric ulcers and preventive in stomach cancer in conjunction with anti inflammatory therapy.
Reference: Austin, A. Jegadeesan, M. Gowrishankar, R. (2004) “Helicobactericidal Activity of Cissus quadrangularis L. Variant I”; Natural Product Sciences 10 (5): 217-219. Korean Society of Pharmacognosy
Use in Arthritis
How to use Cissus quadrangularis for arthritis?
Cissus quadrangularis stem is fried in ghee and administered with milk as the treatment for fractures and osteo arthritis.
Cissus quadrangularis stem processed in sesame oil is very useful to treat Sandhivata.
In Tamil Nadu, its Chutney is prepared with coconut and served as side dish, used for improving immunity.
In Kerala, traditional healers use its paste to apply over fractured or displaced joints. Its soup is also served to quicken the bone healing process.
Ayurvedic medicine with Cissus as ingredient:
Lakshadi Guggul – widely used in the Ayurvedic treatment of bone related diseases and fracture healing.
Zeotone soft gel capsule
Panchajeeraka Gudam – An effective Ayurvedic medicine for post natal care, useful in digestive and respiratory diseases. It is in herbal jam form.
Because of its hotness, people with Pitta body type need to take precaution while taking this. Cissus fried in ghee balances out the excess hotness.
It can be used during lactation period and in children above 5 years of age. Seek medical advice for its use during pregnancy.
Can Hadjod be taken while having diabetes or high BP? The purpose is to strengthen bones.
Hadjod can be taken by a person having diabetes or high BP.
Veldt grape fried snacks:
Vajravalli – Devils back bone/Adamant creeper – Vataka
Sesame powder, asafoetida, cumin seeds and salt are taken and a thick solution is made. 2-3 inch size partially matured but tender Vajravalli stems are taken and dipped in this dough solution. This is cooked in oil till it is crispy.
Reference: Bhojana Kutuhala
Interaction with medicines, supplements
Can this be used while taking Homeopathic medicine?
Yes. This product does not react with homeopathic medicine.
this medicine be continued while taking supplements like multivitamin tablets,
Omega 3 fatty acids etc?
Yes. Generally, this product goes well with most of the dietary supplements. However, if you are taking more than one product per day, please consult your doctor for an opinion.
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are taking this product along with other western (allopathic / modern) medicines. Some Ayurvedic herbs can interact with modern medicine.
If both Ayurvedic and allopathic medicines are advised together, then it is best to take Allopathic medicine first, wait for 30 minutes and then take the Ayurvedic medicine.
Read related – Haemorrhoids: Ayurvedic Treatment, Medicines, Remedies