Inflammation is a response on the part of your body’s immune system, when it is trying to protect against infection. It can cause the acne to become painful, swollen, and the skin can become bright red. The problem goes a lot deeper than just red or itchy skin, it can cause long-lasting effects like scarring.
Inflammation of acne can get so severe at times during an outbreak that it actually damages the skin under it and around it, leaving behind an unsightly acne scar. Most acne scars will fade over time but there are others that can stay with you for life and leave pitted or discolored skin around it. The best defense against acne scars is to prevent the acne from getting overly inflamed.
Tips to prevent acne
Preventing Acne Inflammation and Flare-Ups
Do not touch it – One of the hardest habits to break when dealing with acne outbreaks is to keep ourselves from touching the pimple, because this can often make things worse. The temptation to pop or squeeze the pimples is just too great for some people. The easiest thing you can do to reduce acne inflammation is to avoid squeezing the region and causing further damage. Popping the pimple can spread the inflammation onto healthy skin, and increase the odds that a scar will form.
Remove excess skin oil – One thing you can do to prevent acne in the first place, is to remove excess oil from your skin daily. If the pores become clogged with oil and dirt, your acne will only get worse.
- Use mild anti-bacterial cleansers, as well as clay masks can help get rid of this oil.
- You can also try taking antioxidant supplements to help fight off the inflammation.
- Antioxidants reduce the formation of free radicals and can help soothe acne inflammation.
- The most important supplements to reduce swelling are those that contain vitamins A, C and E.
- It may also help to take liquid capsules of Vitamin E, break them open and apply them to the swollen areas.
Other Tips to Reduce Acne
There are a few other things that you can do on a daily basis to help reduce the acne inflammation. Other than cleansers, skin preparations and vitamins, you can also incorporate Omega-3 rich foods into a low sugar diet. These act as a natural anti-inflammatory, as well as enhancing the tone and look of your skin.
Eat plenty of fish, legumes and beans.
For a quick overnight treatment, use toothpaste that contains fluoride to cover blemishes and let it dry out overnight. The fluoride will help the blemish to dry without redness and actually can feel soothing on the skin.
Ayurvedic home remedies
1. Apply lemon juice to your scars a few times a week. With clean hands, apply lemon juice directly to your hyper-pigmentation scars. Let the juice soak in and completely dry before rinsing it off.
2. Slice one medium sized potato into two and put a few drops of water on the surface.Rub it on the pigmented area so that the juice of potato acts on the skin.
3. Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water. Use this solution to rinse the affected area. Leave it on for two to three minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy twice a day for a few weeks.
4. Mix one teaspoon each of turmeric powder and lemon juice. Apply it on the affected area. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Avoid going out in the sun for an hour following this treatment.
•Use your fingers or a cotton swab to apply 5 – 10 drops of unrefined coconut oil to the affected area before going to sleep. Leave overnight and rinse in the morning. Repeat regularly until results are visible.
•Squeeze the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf or simply use aloe vera juice. Apply to the affected area and gently massage for 2 – 3 minutes. Leave it on for 3 – 5 minutes and rinse with water. Repeat daily for two days or until results are visible.
•Apply 1 – 2 drops of honey to the affected area. Leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. Repeat regularly until results are visible.
•Drink at least 15 glasses of water daily to flush dangerous toxins from your body.
•Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, particularly green leafy vegetables, to get the essential vitamins and nutrients that keep your body and skin healthy.
•Reduce stress. Try meditation, yoga, deep breathing, and other related exercises.
Note: Any remedies suggested here must be tried on small patches to test for possible skin allergies and infection. A full-fledged application must only be tried after you have tested these against your skin allergies and reactions.
- Acne Vulgaris flare-up’s can be difficult to deal with.
- Reducing the redness and swelling can help make them less noticeable and allow the skin time to repair itself.
- Instead of further irritating the region by squeezing it, try applying a drying agent like egg white and let it sit overnight.
- This can help desiccate the pimple and reduce the length of time that it is noticeable on the skin.