Honestly, we, Ayurvedic doctors have to improve a lot in marketing aspect. You have a clinic, there is decent amount of patient in-flow. But you are failing to reach your monthly financial targets. Sounds familiar, try to incorporate these tips and excel.
A. DO NOT HESITATE or do not feel shy to adopt marketing strategies to improve patient flow to your clinic / hospital. Consider your hospital as a business. More the people you treat, more people will get healthy and more will be the benefit to the society. Do not feel shy to tell that yours is the best Ayurvedic centre in the city. Tell that and back that up with ultra awesome patient experience with best possible treatments and medicines.
If you are not advertising and marketing yourself and your clinic, your opponent, who has set up a new clinic in front of you, will be doing marketing and advertising. How are you going to compete with him? What are you going to counter his marketing efforts?
You may say that with your good treatments and with the blessings of God, people will eventually find you out. That may be true but that may take 2 – 3 years of time, minimum. What will you do to feed your family and pay your bills till such time?
Don’t worry much and start keeping at least 5,000 rupees per month aside for marketing and advertising and start following below-mentioned useful techniques.
As they say, God helps those who help themselves. So, help yourself first 🙂
B. Get your centre’s address enlisted along with email id and phone number in websites such as Practo.com, justdial.com etc
Now-a-days everyone searches in the internet for good doctors before going to the clinic. Usually, in google, practo and justdial search results with a lost of Ayurveda doctors show up ahead of other websites. Hence, it makes sense to get yourself enlisted in these two websites.
Another advantage with these two websites is, if you treat the patients really well and if they give good ratings, then your centre will be shown more frequently. This will help in improving your business further.
There are also advertising options with justdial. Try it for a month of two to know the conversion of patients. If it is yielding results, continue it with more budget.
List your clinic address as a business in google maps. Go to maps.google.com in the left top, there is menu, click on that, select “add a missing place” and add your clinic details with appointment phone number, working hours etc.
C. If you ever wish to have a website, keep it minimal and do not spend more than 20,000 rupees for the website. Your website engineer may offer more and more features. Most of those features are useless and pull out more money from your pocket.
If you ever have a website, make sure to display your email id and contact number of the hospital right at the top, with big font, clearly visible to all.
The purpose of the website is to show the patient how can she contact your hospital. She comes to the website, sees the phone number. Calls and books the appointment. Only then the purpose of your website will be met. That is the only purpose of your website. Nothing else. Do not get trapped into the website developing companies different features. They suck a lot of money without adding much value.
D. Naming your clinic –
Name your clinic with –
Your own name – Shalini’s Ayurveda care, Prashanth’s Ayurveda Center,
Your surname – Gaekwad’s Ayurveda and panchakarma Center, Chauhan’s Ayurved Clinic, Ali’s Ayurved Center, etc.
Somehow the name of the clinic should sound with the name of you, the owner of it. This will help patients to get connected to you better. Every time the patient takes the name of the centre, she will remember you. This adds to the brand value.
Avoid generic names such as Arogya Ayurveda Clinic, Swasthya Ayurveda Center, Athreya, Patanjali, Charak, Sushruta, Vagbhata, Kashyapa etc.
They are all already popular.
It is time for YOU to become popular 🙂
1. Keep a testimonials book in the reception. Let the patients write their testimonials in the book.
The testimonial, include a line – Can we use your statements in publishing media? If they tick YES, then you can use those testimonials in your future advertisements.
2. Make a pamphlet with one disease information and tips, your clinic information, contact details etc. Make sure to pick of one disease that you are really expert in. It can be in black and white pamphlet pamphlet. Circulate it along with local newspaper (news paper insert).
I think, they take around 5000 rupees per circulation. Run this pamphlet circulation campaign twice a month.
3. Advertising money: You need to keep a fixed amount of money to spend on advertisement. I would suggest, at least 5000 – 15000 rupees per month. Though you may feel it as a burden, it will surely be rewarding in coming weeks.
4. Contact local news papers and offer to write articles in them, regarding disease explanation, lifestyle tips, home remedies, etc. This will yield a lot of local traffic to your clinic. You can write about clinical success stories, home remedies, lifestyle advice, relationship etc.
5. Give your clinic address detail to me, along with your disease – expertise . Whenever I get a patient online query from your area, I will refer them to your clinic. (Dr Hebbar – email – [email protected])
6. Wherever possible, take a before-after photographs of the patients, with their permission to publish in future.
7. Make sure to have a very good banner for your clinic. It should be clearly visible from a long distance.
8. Contact local municipality authorities and negotiate to put your banners or direction banners in 3 -4 roads, near your clinic. For example: Way to My Ayurvedic Clinic – with an arrow mark.
9. Improve on English. Read some health magazines. Always find ways to improve your knowledge – Medical or other areas.
10. If you have your own manufactured products, such as hair oil, Cough syrup etc, then advertise those products with good photograph and a few lines description in the patient-waiting area. Waiting patients seeing them, might be interested in buying them.
11. Learn some commerce basics. If your total turnover is crossing 10 lakh per year, consult a Chartered Accountant immediately.
12. Identify local senior citizen group, nearby colleges, companies etc. and offer them to give free public speech. Make sure to go with your hospital banner and visiting cards.
13. You guessed it right, have a visiting card in the first place. Make sure to have your clinic phone number and email id in it.
14. Let us assume your clinic name is Prakruti Ayurvedic clinic. Let us assume you are talking about Arthritis management to a group of people.
While giving health talk, add sentences like – “In our Prakruti Ayurvedic clinic, we do special camps for arthritis. Next camp is on next Saturday.”
“Authentic Ayurvedic oil massage is very important to reduce arthritis pain and inflammation. In your Prakruti Ayurvedic Clinic, we offer special discount on oil massage packages”
So, use your clinic name at least for 4 – 5 times in a half an hour speech. Mention about, at least one or two of your services during your speech.
15. If you are just BAMS, you will be competing against many MD (Ayu) fellows. Hence, it is a good idea to do a post graduate diploma course and include that qualification after the BAMS. It adds value. IGNOU offers many such courses. One such is – Post Graduate Diploma In Hospital And Health Management – PDGHHM. You need to be an Ayurveda graduate with 3 year experience, for this. More details here
16. In your clinic, just behind your chair, on the wall, fix a book rack. Keep 8 – 10 good looking, fresh looking Ayurvedic and modern books that you use the most for quick reference. Let them be arranged very neatly, vertically. The names of the books should be visible to the patient.
This serves two purposes.
a. You can refer them quickly whenever needed.
b. It sends a silent message to the patient that you are an expert and studious Ayurveda doctor. It is just a small thing to improve your impression in the patient’s mind.
If you are wondering which book to keep in your rack, the choice is very easy. You can choose my book Living Easy With Ayurveda 😉
17. Using Quora
This is a long term plan to develop a brand. Try to answer 1 health query on quora per day. Do not self promote excessively. You may get banned if you do so.
18. Do not keep too niche expertise –
If you market yourself as gout expert or asthma expert, if such patients in your locality are less, your chances of getting more patients are dull.
19. Online marketing –
If your budget is minimum Rs 11,000 per month, we can help you with online marketing. Please write to me at
I do not promise that we are a big expert in this. You can contact any local online ad company for this.