Exercise is the best medicine to many of the lifestyle disorders like obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, stress etc. If you have not started on any exercise schedule, I suggest, today is the right day. The question is, how long to exercise to enjoy maximum health benefits?
What Ayurveda says? Ayurveda says that till you sweat on your forehead, thighs and till breathing becomes rigorous, continue exercise. read more The right time of workout varies from one person to another.
Factors determining time of workout
- Nature of workout – Yoga, Gym, Outdoor games, swimming etc.
- Person’s height, weight and age.
- Time availability
- Experience in the workout – Beginners may be able to workout only for a very short period of time, compared to experts.
- Sleep and eating habits – For example, even a fit person might feel it difficult to exercise, if he has not slept for at least 6 hours.
- The purpose of workout – to lose weight, to maintain already gained good body shape.
How much time to workout?
If you have got enough time, if not for the purpose of bodybuilding, just 45 minutes to 1 hour workout is very ideal for everyone in general.
If you do not have time, even a 5 – 10 minutes rigorous workout is also of some value. Say, you were following a 30 minute workout schedule, one night, you slept late because of a movie, on the next day, if you do not have time for 30 minutes of regular exercise, it makes sense to take up a very short 5 minute workout. You can plan this with many combinations of exercises.
5 minute workouts examples
Plan 1. 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, 5 Surya Namaskara, 30 dumbbell biceps exercise and 30 abdominal crunch – all in a matter of 5 minutes, without break.
Plan 2. – jogging / sprinting / brisk walking for 1 mile.
Plan 3 – A quick set of fast badminton game.
- You will not feel guilty about missing your regular exercise schedule.
- Heavy breathing is stimulated, shoots up your enthusiasm to kick start the day.
- Body becomes flexible. Energy will be boosted and you do not feel tired easily.
- Keeps your body ready for your regular workout for the next day.
- You will be able to burn about 40 – 50 quick calories. So, with this short exercise schedule, if you take only vegetable salad or just corn flakes for your breakfast in stead of your regular heavy breakfast, that will make up for your loss of regular exercise.
So, if you have not started any exercise schedule, just because you did not have any time for it, just start with a simple 5 minute workout today. It is rewarding.
Are you over-exercising? According to Ayurveda, over exercise leads to Vata imbalance, and leads to many complications.
Signs to watch
- Breathing difficulty
- Lack of muscle and body strength
- Excessive sleepiness all through the day
- Severe fatigue and feeling tired all the time.
- You do not feel energetic at all.
- Aches and pains in joints, muscles and whole body
Excessive exercise ill effects
Bad effects of over-exercise as per Ayurveda:
Tiredness, exhaustion, depletion of body tissues, excessive thirst, bleeding disorders – such as nasal bleeding, worsening of menorrhagia in women, breathing difficulties, cough, fever and vomiting.
What to do after over exercising? Drink good amount of fruit juice, take rest, and cut down on your exercise schedule.
Related Articles: Gym or Yoga
Signs of over exercising / overtraining
Fatigue, aches and pains, injuries, exhaustion, dehydration, stress, Abnormal heart rate, menstrual imbalance, bone weakness.
Read related – Other ill effects of over exercising